Need Blades of Exile stuff for my old Macintosh

lampshade

Because of the scenario crushing problem with Ormus'es scenario editor; I have to due by using Sheepshaver to make my scenarios.

I need a list of stuff to begin my scenario-making career:

- A registered Blades of Exile (for Macintosh)

- A handy program to manage graphics in scenarios.

- And a program to convert Windows and Mac colors (for the scenario graphics)

- Very handy tutorials (optional)

To get BoE and the editor look on Khoth's Site.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean with your second two list items. Am I correct that you want a program to create the .meg graphics files for the macintosh version? If so you should take a look at Rezilla, it does a lot besides but it would get the job done acceptably.

Lastly, not actually having doing any BoE designing myself, I fear I can't direct you to any tutorials, but hopefully someone else can.

I suspect his third item relates to the fact that Windows colours are lighter to account for different gamma settings (or something like that).

I imagine Photoshop could do that, though I'm not sure how. I suspect GIMP may not be able to do it, though....

Oh, that. You can do that in any bitmap editor more advanced than MS Paint (Appleworks::Paint, Photoshop Elements, The GIMP, or Acorn to name four), if you knew exactly how much adjustment was required. I wouldn't worry about this much to start with. This is a pretty minor point that can be dealt with late in the development of your scenario.

http://www.ironycentral.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=136275&page=2

Niemand, aren't those two links in that thread the Mac/PC graphics switched to the other format? I haven't clicked on them, but that's what I assumed they were. If you have those, you can make separate Mac/PC versions of any original custom graphics. Graphics that already exist (such as those found on Pixle Profusion) might require more difficult adjusting, but it could be done.

EDIT: At the very least, having the other version handy would give you something to compare to, so you know the adjusted graphic looks right, right?

Originally Posted By: Niemand
Oh, that. You can do that in any bitmap editor more advanced than MS Paint (Appleworks::Paint, Photoshop Elements, The GIMP, or Acorn to name four), if you knew exactly how much adjustment was required. I wouldn't worry about this much to start with. This is a pretty minor point that can be dealt with late in the development of your scenario.
I was thinking about colour profiles and the fact that GIMP may not support those... but then, I guess gamma adjustment doesn't need a colour profile?

@Celtic Minstrel: I think it's not a color profile thing; BoE does not do anything that detailed with graphics as far as I can imagine. If you do in fact need to work with color profiles on Mac OS X, use ColorSync Utility: it's free, powerful, and already on your hard-drive.

As I understand it, color profiles are basically the ideal solution to this sort of problem, but very little non-professional or non-Apple software bothers to handle them. (I could rant about this a good deal, but I'm restraining myself. Let's just say I've been shocked in the past by how badly a default install of Firefox 3 rendered graphics I was using on my website.) I think that at least traditionally the standard approach has just been to make lightened or darkened versions of graphics to use on different platforms.

@ADoS: I assume that the graphics I posted could be used as the basis for making platform adjusted versions of other graphics, but since I didn't do anything fancy (literally just asked a program to transform the binary data from one file format to another) it would also assumedly require a good deal of plain manual work, as you suggest in your postscript.

Originally Posted By: Niemand
To get BoE and the editor look on Khoth's Site.

Khoth's version does not work on systems prior to OS X. If lampshade has a Mac using a Mac classic operating system, then buying the original version is the only option (It's only fifteen dollars).

If someone wanted a Classic version of BoE, couldn't they just download the source and compile it? Though... he'd probably need to either have a commercial compiler or be able to download and figure out MPW for that...

(I believe MPW is the only free compiler available for Mac Classic. And it's... rather confusing, frankly.)

Augh. I discovered that the BLADBASE.EXS I had labeled as the original was not, in fact, the original. I'll fix that quickly, reupload, and put the link in my sig.

EDIT: There we go. Also, I recommend that whoever uploads the Mac BoE use this scrolling text animation instead of the default one, or perhaps a similar one with the Windows graphics swapped with the gamma-adjusted Mac graphics.

Arrgh. Unfortunately my CD copy of BoE doesn't have both the Mac and PC installers on it, like newer Spidweb CDs do, so I can't help you with that. However, have you tried the old Windows BoE on your Windows machine? The link is in my signature. It might work. It works for some people. It's worth a shot, at least.

Originally Posted By: The Almighty Doer of Stuff
Arrgh. Unfortunately my CD copy of BoE doesn't have both the Mac and PC installers on it, like newer Spidweb CDs do, so I can't help you with that. However, have you tried the old Windows BoE on your Windows machine? The link is in my signature. It might work. It works for some people. It's worth a shot, at least.

Already tried that, refuses to open and gives me a registry error.