Exile III Editor question

Hecuba

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie 'round these parts. Just for a quick first, I'd like to give a huge thank you to Jeff for creating such a huge, engrossing, ridiculously addictive world. (I have a lot of memories with y'all- Escape from the Pit was actually the first RPG I ever played, believe it or not). So props to you, and if you ever come down here for Mardi Gras I'll buy you a beer. smile

Anyway, onto my stupid n00bie question. My computer recently crashed, erasing all my saved Exile games. I'd had a lovely game in progress saved, with a very powerful party which was, by my reckoning, about halfway through the game (just finished the giant's cave). I'd had to deal with this problem before (my computer is absolutely terrible- I'm getting a new one within the week, I think) but I just sucked it up and restarted (I'd only just finished the slimes quest). Is there any way to use the Editor and/or edit the game somehow to give myself credit for the quests I've already done? I can rebuild the party fairly easily with the Editor, but I don't relish the idea of having to spend time re-doing all the quests that I've already completed (my gaming time is spectacularly limited due to finals and other fun things). Thanks for reading, and hopefully I'll be able to find a solution. smile

The Exile III Editor is full of options for checking off quests. It's in the Edit Party menu, under Add Special Items. Just give yourself the item that you found while doing the particular quest you're thinking of. It'll be whatever thing you would have shown Berra when you came back to Fort Emergence.

That's what I thought at first, but it doesn't seem to be that simple. I'm not allowed into Lorelei, the people who had "heard of my accomplishments" before won't talk to me, et cetera and so forth. I don't really mind doing the quests over, but since I just finished them it seems more like a chore. :p

I have the same experience Hecuba. I had a computer crash and had too start over. It made me go into a spasm attack just thinking of having to do all of the annoying quests over again. That was the end of my Exile career. Little did I know that in a mere three months I would get addicted to Geneforge 2...

laughlaughlaugh

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about this. Look on the bright side, it could be much worse; I remember one person managed (in E2) to start to deactivate the mass portal, thing was that they hadn't got the ritual to close it. End result: oopsie.

However, you do only have to do two out of the four first plagues to win the game. Slimes or roaches, then troglos and giants or golems. First one will let you in Sharimik, Lorelei and Gale. Second, Blackcrag.

I believe this rests on those "Stuff done flags". Without knowing what each one does, the only way I can see of reclaiming former glory is to do it all again.

And have you petitioned to Jeff? He's usually very helpful. Otherwise, play again, and this time back up to CD/Floppy/Network/Your dog.

• 1 month later...

Im on unregistered version and I cannot play all the game when I finish the free part I start all over again,doesnt that suck more? besides doing the quests again should be piece of cake right, u know how to solve them after uve dont them once and now u'll be able to correct previous mistakes u done and good luck!

E3 doesn't let you alter SDFs in the editor, unfortunately. Unless Jeff wants to hack your file, which I doubt, you're stuck doing it over again.

On the bright side, there is almost certainly something you missed the first time around. Probably many things. Exile is like that.

—Alorael, whose advice for solving the woes of unregistered play is registering. C'mon, it's cheap and you know you want to see what happens with those troglodytes and giants...