Best equipment (a few questions)[G5]

Eigenvalue

1. What is the best sword in G5?

2. Currently I have the Guardian Claymore (with damage 11-55, +2 str, +2 quick action, +2 strength of creations.) Is it better or worse than the Shaped Blade (damage 14-70). That is, is the increase in damage (multiplied by whatever factor) better or worse than the bonus in statistics?

3. What is the difference between shaped and puresteel items? Which are better? Shaped items can be purified, what about puresteel ones? Are any good items craftable from the puresteel items instead of shaped?

4. There are several topics on the best greaves, gauntlets, girdles and boots, what about the other equipment items (shield, ring, amulet, etc.). I guess my main question here is what is better: extra armor, protections against elements (acid, etc.), extra points in certain statistics - could someone point me to a post discussing the relative benefits of each. Of course, the best items are probably build-related (and gamestyle-related), but some general advice would be great.

Thanks.

It comes down to what you are playing at the time.

The best sword is the puresteel blade (25-125 damage) made with 2 puresteel ingots by the guardian smith in Dera South Shore.

The shaped blade does more damage, but the guardian claymore bonuses will probably help you more.

Shaped items are the basis for creating artifacts. Usually they aren't better than other items with bonuses except the shaped breastplate since you get it early in the game.

The artifact items are the best, but which version comes down to what you are playing. Shaper/Lifecrafters and others relying on creations want the versions that allow for higher levels of shaping and improve creation abilities. Fighters will want items that give increased damage. Everyone probably wants Firesteel gauntlets because it's 5 levels in battle, mental, and blessing magic which would help any character.

Puresteel items are lighter than most equivalent items and give more armor protection. Still the bonuses for the others usually make them better. If you rely on creations, then you don't need as much armor.

Originally Posted By: Eigenvalue
2. Currently I have the Guardian Claymore (with damage 11-55, +2 str, +2 quick action, +2 strength of creations.) Is it better or worse than the Shaped Blade (damage 14-70).

The Guardian Claymore is much better if you have any creations and/or need for the strength boost. The +2 strength means it's practically 13-65.

Tek's spectral dirk is available to rebels as a quest reward from Denna in Zephyr Oasis.

edit: I checked the dlg scripts, and can't see the dirk given as a quest reward other than for Denna's quest. That doesn't mean that it's not available in a hidden room somewhere, just that there's no other instance of reward_give(84) in the scripts. Similarly the claymore isn't an outright reward anywhere: there's no reward_give(79) .

Originally Posted By: jlsgaladriel
Tek's spectral dirk is available to rebels as a quest reward from Denna in Zephyr Oasis.

edit: I checked the dlg scripts, and can't see the dirk given as a quest reward other than for Denna's quest. That doesn't mean that it's not available in a hidden room somewhere, just that there's no other instance of reward_give(84) in the scripts. Similarly the claymore isn't an outright reward anywhere: there's no reward_give(79) .

I must have a problem then, because I can't find anybody named Denna in Zephyr Oasis, and I've never found the spectral dirk.