Piercing crystal - barrier question

MacProject

Maybe I'm just overlooking something obvious, but is there some way of knowing whether or not a piercing crystal is powerful enough to take down a barrier?

I've wasted a few of these crystals trying to dispel blue barriers only to be told that the crystal isn't strong enough. On other occassions, they'll work just fine. Does the "tool use" skill come into play at all with these?

I think Piercing Crystals cast Dispel Barrier at a specific low level that cannot be altered. Because of this, you'll need to learn Dispel Barrier and have a reasonably powerful mage if you want to pass all the barriers.

As far as I know, the only way to test barriers is to save and reload.

—Alorael, who gave up on Piercing Crystals as soon as he had the spell.

Quote:
Originally written by Mandatory Autorecyclinlg:
I think Piercing Crystals cast Dispel Barrier at a specific low level that cannot be altered. Because of this, you'll need to learn Dispel Barrier and have a reasonably powerful mage if you want to pass all the barriers.

As far as I know, the only way to test barriers is to save and reload.

—Alorael, who gave up on Piercing Crystals as soon as he had the spell.
About how much further until I get the opportunity to learn dispel barrier? In terms of the progress I've made in the game, currently I'm at Patrick Tower.

Quote:
Originally written by Croikle:
Talk to Kelner in the Tower of the Magi. He'll teach you if you clear out the "evil presence" in the ruins.
Ah. I had a hell of time trying to beat that demon (forgot his name) in the Tower of Magi ruins so I gave up for the time being and moved onto other quests.
I'll try it again tonight now that my party is stronger than it was during my last attempt.

Quote:
Originally written by *i:
The other place to learn it is in the ruins of Harston in the Giant Lands east of the Abyss. However, there is no person who teaches the spell as with Bolt of Fire, etc.
...And even if you can find a spellbook with Dispell Barrier, a very powerful spell, there isn't a single book in the game that will teach you Bolt of Fire. A tad annoying.