Difficulty switch bug

Aoslare

Has anyone else encountered this?

Occasionally, the game difficulty resets to normal when I start up a game which was saved under a different difficulty. I don't know what causes this, and I can't consistently recreate it, so it's hard to document, but I'm 100% sure it's happened to me repeatedly.

Also, the difficulty options in the Preferences window and in the Edit Party window don't always seem to be in sync. Sometimes changing one will change the other. Sometimes it won't, and it's easy to get them to disagree as to what the difficulty level is. The Edit Party option seems to be mostly irrelevant to the game, except that it usually (but not always!) changes the value in the Preferences window if you change it when starting a new game.

I just opened my most recent savefile (at the very end of the game), and sure enough the difficulty was still correctly set to Torment. I hadn't touched the difficulty settings since the start of the game. So if it does occur randomly, it can't occur very often -- or it might be triggered by opening the preferences window or something, which I also don't do very often.

You don't have to open the prefs window. It's happened to me at least twice on fresh starts of the application, going straight to loading the quicksave. Playing under Easy gives you a substantial bonus to your dodge score (actually, I think the enemy levels may just all be reduced, so they all have lower to-hit scores), and as a singleton with high dodge, it's extremely noticeable when this bonus goes away.

As I said, though, I can't recreate it, so I don't know what caused it.