Early Gear

Duality

The lone guard just southwest of Fort Monastery has a Steel Spear (10 - 30), which at the start of the game is absurd. And no one cares if you kill her.

Anyone know of any other examples of equipment that you can find early on that is far superior to what you normally find? (say a steel broadsword so my poor melee guy doesn't feel quite as wussy?)

There are two steel spears to be had near Fort Monastery, and they can be yours without killing and friendlies just as soon as you can fight your way to them, which is from the very beginning.

One is in the pit in the nephil camp to the east of the fort, and the other is in a pit by the fisherman along the river, south of the fort. Fight a few nephils or a few more goblins and bats to get there.

EDIT: Oops, you're right..I was talking about iron spears. I wasn't even thinking an actual steel spear would be anywhere near Fort Monastery.

Quote:
From Merriam-Webster:
puk·ka
Pronunciation: 'p&-k&
Function: adjective
Etymology: Hindi pakkA cooked, ripe, solid, from Sanskrit pakva; akin to Greek pessein to cook -- more at COOK
: GENUINE, AUTHENTIC; also : FIRST-CLASS
Great word. Just to be even more exciting it also has lesser meanings, some of which are rather divorced from the positive stuff.

—Alorael, who opposes mass murder, or even specific murder, over spears.