Basalt Fortress help, please (possible spoilers)

Zaid

So far, I have been loving ever minute of Avernum IV. Takes me back to the days when I played the original Exile 1-3, and Blades...

Anyway, I've made it to the Basalt Fortress, where Rheno-Iltar (sp?) is said to dwell. However, there are some locked doors there that I cannot open with tool use (says it is too difficult), so I know there must be a key somewhere.

I have two Crystal Keys I have found on the way to the fortress (one from Fort Remote, the other in the fortress), but I still cannot open the doors. I have been looking for a way through for a few days now, and am now officially frustrated. mad

Little help? I'd love a full answer at this point, due to frustration levels, but even hints would be good.

No, i haven't made it to the lower level... there is a gate in the way that the Vhanatai party of four stopped in front of, and told me to lower. I have found no means of lowering it, either.

I've defeated all three shades, and the drake that Rentar (sp?) had guarding the route... killed every pylon entitiy between Fort Remote and the Basalt Fortress.... but I have found no means of opening that inner gate, or any of those "too complicated" locks.

Edit: thanks! I found that lever you mentioned... I can't believe I did not see it before!