A4 - Questions, troubles and help needed

Darkdread

Hi,

I usually come to this excellent forum when I need help and always find nice people willing to give their time to help me.

I decided to create this thread so I (or anyone) won't have to be opening a new one for each question or puzzle we come across.

My question now: I am already around Mertis and decided to complete old quests before doing the Cauldron spawn quest. Incredibly I am still unable to find the 3rd missing shipment someone in Fort Monastery asked me locate. Could anyone give indications for the 3 of them? I have looked at the walkthrough but haven't found positive results.

Also, the "Rat Hunt around Formello" quest is proving difficult, I keep walking in circles but all I have found is just 3 rat tails frown

For your time and help, thank you very much in advance!

Marcelo.

Okay, let's see..

the rats tails are found in three places. You have to leave and wander around and then come back to see if another rat has been generated. Shutting the door/gates when you leave helps I found. It takes time..which can be annoying.

The missing shipments..one is very hard to find and I stumbled across it just by chance. (not having seen the world map at the time). One is near the bridge by the fort. One is near the lizardman camp you have to get a special key from before heading to Fort Draco. The third and hardest, I thought, is just a bit south of where the road curves to go east to Fort Draco.

Dragonlady, thank you for helping me first of all.

I have found two shipments, the one where the road turns (on a kind of wall) and the one by the bridge too, I think I am missing the one you mentioned about the lizardman camp, thanks!

I thought it could have something to do with rats regenerating because it happened the same with the bat bits, I have returned and they are there again, so I'll have to be patient then, thank you again!

Quote:
Originally written by Dragonlady:
The missing shipments..one is very hard to find and I stumbled across it just by chance. (not having seen the world map at the time). One is near the bridge by the fort. One is near the lizardman camp you have to get a special key from before heading to Fort Draco. The third and hardest, I thought, is just a bit south of where the road curves to go east to Fort Draco.
Lizardmen? I don't see any sliths around the Fort Draco route...

Thanks everybody, I finally got all of them and the rat tails too wink

What I want to know now is what is the real effect of "static"? I've been fighting undead and some of them tend to "cover" me with static, but I don't see any strange icon or effect (like say curse or slow), so, what is static all about?

Another question: can you make your own potions if you have the right ingredients? I am asking because on the way to Almaria (south from the honeycomb) there's this merchant nephilim who sells herbs and even a kind of pot to mix them, so I was wondering if I should buy it or it's only alchemists at towns who can make them??

Thanks.

You can't make your own potions. There is no alchemy skill in Avernum 4. It may be useful to buy ingredients and then get help from an alchemist in town, probably cheaper than buying the potion.

It is also an easy way to resolve some quest when you are asked to find a potion ingredient (like graymold in the demo).

A warning about alchemy: save up all the ingredients you find unless you really, really need potions. You can find someone near the end of the game who will make Knowledge Brews for you, and he needs one of each ingredient for every potion he makes. In particular, be very careful about how you use Energetic Herbs and Mandrake, since those are the rarest. (Don't be too stingy, though. Some people will make very powerful equipment for you if you give them mandrake, and most of the time you'd much rather have the equipment than one or two extra Knowledge Brews.)

I am already in Fort Emerald to do the Crystal box quest, but was wondering about the 3rd Test which I still haven't found. The shade in test 2 said "in the tunnels northwest of Cotra" but when I am there I just see the forest with a couple of entrances to the chitrach's maze, is that what the shade meant? will I have to go down there to look again??? frown

The third test is nearest the Chitrach tunnels entrance east of Fort Dranlon in that small building. Go north along the east edge to the next map section north. When the path reaches a 6 way intersection go northeast.

It doesn't take that long to search them all. At least it's easier than the Honeycomb where you have to keep shifting levels.