Why does Jeff make all the games for Mac first?

Rebels Rule

Actually, about 50% of Jeff's customers use Mac, according to numbers cited somewhere that may or may not have been reputable. But the real reason is that Jeff likes Macs, uses Macs, and programs on Macs before porting.

—Alorael, who will dismiss your assertion that Jeff should make games for Windows first as an argumentum ad populum.

The Spiderweb fanbase will and probably always will be dominated by Mac. The first Exile was, as far as I can recall, released for Mac first, and after that it just continued on.

PC users have their Call of Duty 2, Warcraft 3, Halflife and Splintercell. Let us Mac users have our outdated-graphic, shareware, rpg game. It's the least you can give us.

Quote:
Originally written by SNM:
Quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:
Linux is likely over-represented among shareware customers, since running Linux is pretty much choosing shareware as a way of life.
I dismiss your argument as not mattering much for a game which requires either Mac OS or Windows. wink
What, you don't realize that the infinite superiority of Linux includes the ability to emulate both Mac OS 10.4 and Windows XP, and at twice native speed? See, this kind of ignorance is the only reason why Linux doesn't yet rule the planet.

Or maybe those stats were compiled shortly after that one Spiderweb game was ported to Linux.

Call of Duty 2 is being ported to Mac. Warcraft 3 was released simultaneously for Mac and PC. The first Splinter Cell was ported to Mac, although I don't know when in relation to its port to PC. Only Half-Life was never released for Mac, and it was apparently mostly ported and then dropped for unknown reasons.

—Alorael, who would rather have an Avernum game than most of the above. Maybe any, although he shouldn't opine on the ones he's never seen.

Quote:
What, you don't realize that the infinite superiority of Linux includes the ability to emulate both Mac OS 10.4 and Windows XP, and at twice native speed? See, this kind of ignorance is the only reason why Linux doesn't yet rule the planet.

Or maybe those stats were compiled shortly after that one Spiderweb game was ported to Linux.
Actually, my Linux-using friend tells me that the Windows version of Exile 3 runs better under Windows "emulation" on Linux (I shouldn't call it that, since WINE isn't really an emulator) than the native Linux version does under Linux. Apparently this is because the Linux port of E3 was really shoddily done.

The majority of Windows users dont really care that the games are released later for windows, they're just impatient and wanna play the game ASAP because of the good and bad things they hear about it. Those people who do complain, probabley have no patience whatsoever or have very little free time to do anything, so they want the games out for windows sooner or first.

Quote:

Forgive me if I'm misinformed, but somehow I doubt that even a very well equipped x86 (I'm assuming that's the Linux build you're speaking of) could emulate a PPC processor and run OS X 10.4 at speeds twice that of a comprably equipped PPC computer.

Emulating Windows at that speed is a bit more believable, simply because you wouldn't have to emulate a different processor.

Quote:
Originally written by Logalot^2:
Quote:

Forgive me if I'm misinformed, but somehow I doubt that even a very well equipped x86 (I'm assuming that's the Linux build you're speaking of) could emulate a PPC processor and run OS X 10.4 at speeds twice that of a comprably equipped PPC computer.
I'm in total agreement. Although to be fair, the Intel Developer machines apparently are faster at many tasks than the previous-gen G5s (*cry*), so maybe the x86 OS X is faster emulated in Linux.

Quote:
Emulating Windows at that speed is a bit more believable, simply because you wouldn't have to emulate a different processor.
I have heard that at least a few applications are faster in Linux w/ WINE than in Windows, but I rather imagine those are few and far between. Can anybody point me to one besides Folding@home?

My, I seem to be switching positions here. Whoops. :rolleyes:

That's why I love Blizzard. All their games are hybrid: they can be installed onto either Mac or Windows from the same disk.

And saying that Jeff should publish for Windows first because more people used Windows is saying that the majority is always right. This, of course, is false. (see GWB, for example).

My remarks about the infinite power of Linux were supposed to be a joke.

As a matter of fact I'm no great Linux fan. I used it for two years, five years ago, and liked it fine then. Tried it briefly again recently, after Mac OS X, and I just kept cringing. To be fair, most of my cringes were about unpolished apps, and not really about the OS itself. But, now that Fink lets me run pretty much any open source program I want, and do it with a commercial-grade OS and interface on pretty hardware, I have very little interest in going back to Linux.

My customer base is about 60/40 Windows/Mac.

I write games Mac first because I am far more proficient with Macintoshes than Windows, and the development tools I like most work best on Macs. So my games get done much quicker if I write them on Macs. If I wrote my games on Windows, it'd take longer to get them done, so you'd still end up waiting.

THIS IS NOT ME SAYING MAC IS BETTER THAN WINDOWS OR VISE VERSA. Don't start that argument. It's just my personal work thing.

- Jeff Vogel

Quote:
Originally written by Glafna:
Sorry if we made the impression we were going to start arguing Jeff, but I don't think anyone here is saying you perfer Mac over Windows.
Actually, he is saying he prefers Mac over Windows. He's just not saying he thinks it's necessarily better for everyone. :p

Code::Blocks, Dev-CPP or some commercial cross-platform IDE.

SDL.

Game library.

You now have cross platform development.

I'm writing a game atm using those things. smile

Quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

My customer base is about 60/40 Windows/Mac.

I write games Mac first because I am far more proficient with Macintoshes than Windows, and the development tools I like most work best on Macs. So my games get done much quicker if I write them on Macs. If I wrote my games on Windows, it'd take longer to get them done, so you'd still end up waiting.

THIS IS NOT ME SAYING MAC IS BETTER THAN WINDOWS OR VISE VERSA. Don't start that argument. It's just my personal work thing.

- Jeff Vogel