Coin Cap at 30k?

Ok, let's think about it. A US penny is 2.5g ( source ), and that's a fairly small coin. 30000 of those would therefore be 75kg, or 165 pounds. Do you really think your adventurers want to carry around more than that? It should at least have encumbering effects, if you allow unlimited amounts of currency. (ok, higher value coins would mitigate this some, but perhaps that's factored in already)

Still, what do you need more than 30000 coins for? Nothing costs that much, and training is a great way to use coins. You're not going to use the money anywhere else, really.

If you want the real reason, it's because of the way that numbers are stored in computers. Your current coin total is stored as a signed two-byte integer, which can only go up to 32767 before it wraps around and becomes negative. To prevent wraparound bugs, a cap is imposed at 30000.

Well, I think I remember lower caps, like 9000 and 15000, in previous Averna. Using 32768 is a handy explanation here, but it may not be the only reason for coinage caps. It wouldn't be too hard to store money as a long, though I guess it's less bother to simply use int. Hmm, maybe the 30000 cap is just because of that. The earlier caps, though, weren't set for this reason.

At least part of the reason for lower caps in earlier games is that a few things sold for an awful lot of money. With a cap of 30,000, selling anything with a sale price of more than 2767 coins would cause a wraparound (this happened sometimes in BoE, and was pretty annoying). In A4, where nothing really sells for very much, this isn't as much of a problem.

That still doesn't explain why a few more bits don't get allocated to gold. By the end of the game it's possible to run into the cap, although it's less of a problem than in previous Avernums.

—Alorael, who always found something to spend his cash on before hitting the cap and never resorted to the First Bank of Character Editor. It's a good thing, too, because it went under after A3.

Quote:
Originally written by My Spleen:
—Alorael, who always found something to spend his cash on before hitting the cap and never resorted to the First Bank of Character Editor. It's a good thing, too, because it went under after A3.
Well, I did plan on buying trainings, but I didn't figure out yet what traing I should buy first, and I was happely questing along in the Great cave.
I thought I wasn't forced into buying it before I was ready for it myself. I thought wrong.

As for the weight, you know: gameplay > reality!
And the amount of coins a character can have is one of those things where I think this is the case.

I could of course drop some cash near the portal, just like I drop other stuff there. But I think that would be more annoying than the "fun" this bit of "reality" provides.

Ah, maybe we are just given a reason to buy Avernum5 when it arrives. laughwink

Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:
If you want the real reason, it's because of the way that numbers are stored in computers. Your current coin total is stored as a signed two-byte integer, which can only go up to 32767 before it wraps around and becomes negative. To prevent wraparound bugs, a cap is imposed at 30000.
That seems strange, I dont think thats why. Why not simply use a 32 or 64 bit integer then? And your XP can go much higher than that. Which even in memory is at least 16 bits (likely 32 bits) in width. On disk your eXp = val_at_offset_5fc3 * 256 + val_at_offset_5fc2

Visa sounds great, and an International Roaming visa even better, just in case you find youself in Vanhatai lands.

Many townfolks mention "turists" from the surface, don't they bring traveler's cheques?

Also I guess you could have some kind of unemployment fund or insurance. (Just in case the job boards run out of petitions).

I think at least a text warning that you didn't collect pick up any more money each time you do hit the limit is vital. Otherwise, you have to keep an eye on it, and if you miss spotting that you are at the limit, you suddenly permanently are losing all that money with no warning frown

Quote:
Originally written by Reve:
I think at least a text warning that you didn't collect pick up any more money each time you do hit the limit is vital. Otherwise, you have to keep an eye on it, and if you miss spotting that you are at the limit, you suddenly permanently are losing all that money with no warning frown
Gotta agree here. I didn't realize there was a cap until I read this thread...and then I went back into my game and realized I was at the cap. I didn't pay any attention to my total cash as I wasn't buying anything...and now I have no idea how long I was at the cap, and I don't have any earlier saves that aren't a LONG time ago.