Avernum V

Quote:
Originally written by Vicheron:
Quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:
Micah's other son was a bit of a dunce... I doubt he survived long in Avernum, even locked away in the Castle. I assume that Micah's wife died of the manifold diseases and syndromes associated with prolonged cave-dwelling.

I mean don't forget... Micah's dead as well by the time A4 starts.
I know that Chevyn is an idiot but that just makes it easier for him to be manipulated. A group like the Darkside Loyalists could try to frame Starrus for a murder or make people think that Starrus isn't really Micah's son, then use Chevyn to challenge Starrus' rule and start a civil war. Most people in Avernum don't remember that Chevyn is an idiot. The Chevyn supporters could just say that all the rumors about Chevyn being an idiot was started by Starrus, who usurped Chevyn's rightful position as king of Avernum.
Someone is seeing way too many conspiracies.

EDIT: Stupid tags

I'm one of those who find repeat things, like headbanging in previous versions, to much is boring. One feature I'm missing is the ability to make spells with multipåle targets. Especially augumentation and shielding ones. BUt only in non-combat mode. It shouldn't make it easier to beat the game, only require less repetitions.

How about you are hired as part of an exploration/settlement mission to new lands. So, you could have tasks such as saving a group of settlers under attack/subduing hostile enemies, exploring and charting new territory (including reporting back on mysterious events) perhaps making first contact and negotiating trade/property treaties.

You could even incorporate some timed missions ala ZKR. But, here I would run the mission so that if you took time to explore an area you might find a powerful weapon or a different explore might uncover a new spell that would aid you on your timed mission. The consequence would be that negative events would be advanced by the time taken to explore (i.e. you must relieve an outpost, part of the outpost is decimated if you choose a sidequest). the side quest might make the mission easier but you would then suffer an experience loss (would not get as much as if you managed to save the whole outpost). After the mission you would be free to retrace your steps and do all the side explores/quests.

You could be required to discover the source of herbs or other medicines.

I think a lot of things could be done with this. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally written by Hassium:
(Summarizes Avernum 3)
... Or not.

This plot probably can't work without producing an epic so sprawling that nobody can finish it. In fact, I can't really see a possible ending for that plot, unless you reveal some sort of hidden menace that threatens all of your exploration/settlement efforts...

Like Rentar-Ihrno in Avernum 3.

I wonder how big Avernum is. It must be pretty big, Fort Draco is around 100 miles away from Formello. Avernum must be bigger than California. With the first three Avernum games, it really felt like you were travelling big distances on the world map. With Avernum 4 engine, Fort Draco does not feel like it's 100 miles from Formello, it really didn't feel like you were travelling hundreds of miles like in previous games. If A5 uses the same engine as A4, which it probably will, I don't think it should cover an area of hundreds of thousands of square miles like previous Avernum games. It should cover maybe around the same actual area as the Great Cave or the Eastern Gallery, just have it divided into more sections so there's the same amount of gaming area as A4.

Erikia being captured in a crystal soul by the Vahnatai after A3 would have been an awesome twist!

Perhaps A5 will include one of the two ends of the ZKR, to help give it a real place in the world.

Btw, one of the problems with mentally understanding Avernum is that, really, there can be many, many layers. It's hard to visualise how these all fit above and below each other.

My take on the Chevyn/Starrus/Micah line of succession:

Micah ruled as King from 777 - 836 IE, when he died and passed the crown to his second son, Chevyn. (His first son was Exiled with him and died soon after).

Chevyn was Micah's second son and succeeded him after his death. However, the Council of Avernum controlled his every decision and did not even permit him to be officially crowned. They did not need to justify their control because everyone in Avernum knew of Chevyn's reputation for being a simpleton. The most notable event during his "reign" was the Second Slith War, but his actual handling of war affairs was minimal. When Starrus, Micah's third son, turned 13, the Council made him king in Chevyn's place.

Since Avernum is a new nation, and Micah was the first king, the nation doesn't really have a set "tradition" of direct inheritance or any traditions to speak of. Micah was himself "elected" to be king, was he not? I doubt that there would be much stock put in the "royal line" in Avernum just yet.

And that combined with their short history of near-constant difficulties and that they are now in an expansionist era would make it paramount to have a competent leader. Chevyn was obviously incompetent for the job, so there was no real chance that he would be the next king.

Handily, Starrus came along, so it was accepted to start a "royal line". Once this line is several generations along and the basic infrastructure of the nation pretty much stagnant, then an incompetent royal ruler could stay in power. But not now. Not at the very outset of the nation and the potential line of rulers.

I loved those -be a hero- moments in Exile where you were told a group of soldiers had just been ambushed for example and you were expected to fight and help them for a reward later, that was great! or that Nephilim attack on Fort Draco where you had an important role defending the it.

I really miss that!!

PS: I don't miss secret passages or crate puzzles at all!

Quote:
Originally written by Hassium:
How about you are hired as part of an exploration/settlement mission to new lands. So, you could have tasks such as saving a group of settlers under attack/subduing hostile enemies, exploring and charting new territory (including reporting back on mysterious events) perhaps making first contact and negotiating trade/property treaties.

You could even incorporate some timed missions ala ZKR. But, here I would run the mission so that if you took time to explore an area you might find a powerful weapon or a different explore might uncover a new spell that would aid you on your timed mission. The consequence would be that negative events would be advanced by the time taken to explore (i.e. you must relieve an outpost, part of the outpost is decimated if you choose a sidequest). the side quest might make the mission easier but you would then suffer an experience loss (would not get as much as if you managed to save the whole outpost). After the mission you would be free to retrace your steps and do all the side explores/quests.

You could be required to discover the source of herbs or other medicines.

I think a lot of things could be done with this. Thoughts?
I think it's an excelent idea. In fact, I thought it was such an excelent idea that I'm working off and on on a scenario that is more or less exactly what you said, with a fairly significant twist.

Quote:
Eugh I hated the timed events in Avernum. I want to be able to take as long as I want to explore everywhere.
Notice that I addressed this idea in how the timed event would work. You had a set time to accomplish a task and given different timelines it would afffect the prestige you gain/difficulty of the battle. HOWEVER, after the timed event was copmpleted/failed you were free to return to the territory and explore.

Personally, I liked the timed events Except for the fact that I had to play several times to explore everything.

What I would like in Avernum 5 is the alchemy system back, and maybe even expanded. For example, instead of having the only potions you can make be plain vanilla heal/bless/cure/haste buffing potions, you could make, say, volatile potions that would have a similar effect to a fireball, or poisons and acids you could apply to weapons. On top of this, the crafted potions could increase in efficacity with your alchemy skills, making an alchemist-style character a valid build.

My own thoughts.

Erika Redmark and her whole death is just insulting to the player.

To have a mage that powerful, with that much arcane lore, that can zap her self through time and space, like she did to assist the adventurers in E/A3, and for her to not have a contingency for her own death just strikes me as being somehow wrong. Her curse was intended for the living if you get my drift. Somebody as powerful as Erika could have easily turned her self in to a Lich at the moment of her death, and would have probably gotten away with it too. Exile/Avernum would have left her alone and continue with her undead existance.

On the other hand, maybe Erika was really just some two bit mage with a flair for theatrics and made her self out to be far more powerful than she really was, and her death was the ultimate moment of truth. All of her power was a sham.

Quote:
Originally written by Air:
Erika cannot be a two bit mage because, according to Encyclopedia Emarian, she was possibly the only person ever to create quickfire. In A3, in her tower, there is a quickfire trap guarding some drakeskin gloves which pretty much proves it.
Thank you for proving my point.

So her death was just a poorly executed plot device that just doesn't make sense.

Would be nice if there was some means of restoring her in AVV.

Quote:
Originally written by Reve:
Eugh I hated the timed events in Avernum. I want to be able to take as long as I want to explore everywhere.

When I played Avernum 3 (well Exile 3 is what I played) I set the clock back to day 1 on a regular basis smile
I never really had a problem with the ticking clock in Exile 3. In fact, once I sensed I was coming to the end of the game, I had to set the clock ahead in order to expierience the chaos in the tower of magi.

Quote:
Erika cannot be a two bit mage because, according to Encyclopedia Emarian, she was possibly the only person ever to create quickfire. In A3, in her tower, there is a quickfire trap guarding some drakeskin gloves which pretty much proves it.
I highly doubt this. What about the Pheonix eggs? Purgatos managed to make one as I remember it and the giants somehow came by one too as the trap in their temple indicated. Also there's the matter of that guy in Blackcrag fortress who was willing to outright teach you the spell for summoning Quickfire in Exile 3.. Petrie I think it was. Erika may have been the only mage in Avernum capable of making quickfire but certianly not the only one in the world.

Don't make Erika a lich, PLEASE!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!

Why don't you like my idea of Erika as a Crystal Soul. At least Bon-Ihrno had some respect to her, as far as I recall my memories of A2. So having his humble hut in a neighbourhood with Rentar's fortress he could have prepared everything for a crystalization ritual.

But not a lich, PLEASE!!! Ooops, I seem to repeat, do I?

Quote:
Who wrote that article? There is some correction needed, I believe.

Quote:
Originally written by Sharpie:
Quote:
Originally written by Meeshka:
Don't make Erika a lich, PLEASE!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!
Erika's reanimation as a lich is an interesting idea but seems unlikely to me as her body was completely immoliated when Rentar triggered her curse. No corpse, no lich.
Ok, I agree. No corps - no lich. Yes soul - yes crystal, ok?

Quote:
Originally written by Kuranes-:
We have no record of any non-vahnatai ever attaining bokhood, with or without vahnatai aid. Seeing as the ritual is one of the most closely guarded secrets of the vahnatai, I don't see it being learned (let alone mastered) by humans anytime soon...
You never know. If Rentar could bring back Garzahd (ah damn! I had to face him again), I'm sure another Vahnatai could bring back Erika.

I'm not sure we all want Erika back, but it could be done.

- Archmagus Micael

As an aside. Purgatos got that information to make the Phoenix egg from a "visitor" and he was told to use it to help you.

The Quickfire trap in the giant's cave was probably left there by Rentar.

Petrie in Blackcrag might have a spellbook that you can read to learn Quickfire, but it doesn't mean that he knows how to cast it.

One of my favourite things to do in Exile 3 was block off the main chamber in Rentar's fortress with barriers, and before putting the last one in place, casting Quickfire. Stuff would be getting fried as I worked my way forward.

I am not so sure I want Erika back as a lich either. I was just saying it seems odd that somebody so powerful had no contingencies in place for the moment of her death.

A human turning into a Crystal Soul makes about as much sense as an earthworm pupating and emerging as a butterfly. Erika isn't the right species.

—Alorael, who will not accept that Crystal Souls are all magic and no biology (parabiology?). It makes no sense! Please turn humor detectors to setting C.

By Vlish:

Quote:
To have a mage that powerful, with that much arcane lore, that can zap her self through time and space, like she did to assist the adventurers in E/A3, and for her to not have a contingency for her own death just strikes me as being somehow wrong. Her curse was intended for the living if you get my drift. Somebody as powerful as Erika could have easily turned her self in to a Lich at the moment of her death, and would have probably gotten away with it too. Exile/Avernum would have left her alone and continue with her undead existance.
In most fantasy settings, not only is lichhood viewed as abhorrent, but is also dreadfully complicated. Usually, it involves storing your soul in a vessel (denying you of the life hereafter in return for eternal undeath), often with demonic parties involved. So... no. Besides, the whole sunlight curse was invoked by Garzahd, a mage with powers rivalling Erika's.

Human Crystal Souls... (Ahem) Arghhhhhhhhh!!!

--------------------

Merry Christmas to all!/Now you're all going to die!

- The Night Santa Went Crazy (Weird Al)

Quote:
Originally written by Iron Eyes:
A human turning into a Crystal Soul makes about as much sense as an earthworm pupating and emerging as a butterfly. Erika isn't the right species.

—Alorael, who will not accept that Crystal Souls are all magic and no biology (parabiology?). It makes no sense! Please turn humor detectors to setting C.
Why not consider Erika to be a caterpillar among all humans?

Quote:
Originally written by Kuranes:
I don't see it being learned (let alone mastered) by humans anytime soon...
Erika wasn't a common personality. I bet she was prepared to face a real enemy in Rentar's face. Such a foolish death of such a powerful mage is out of normal fantasy canon. Like Gendalf the Grey Mage or Dumbledore (though not written yet, but 99 to 1 he is alive).

At least, this was an idea. Another way there should be to return Erika, but still concealed it is from us. I shall grant the idea of returning Erika as a shade, making parallel to Shannara and its Druids, coming back as ghosts at the lake of death, giving advices.

Edit: stupid UBB

Erika isn't exactly the helpful sort who would come back to aid others. If she's still around, it's because she hates Rentar-Ihrno and Rentar-Ihrno is not dead. Or maybe she hates all the vahnatai. Or she still has revenge to take on the Empire. Or she has revenge to take on Avernum for allying with the Empire.

—Alorael, who would accept Erika's return if she returned as a non-evil undead and if she were only a minor character, neither a major NPC as in prior games nor a villain. She's Avernum background, but it's time for her to fade into that background.

Quote:
Originally written by Meeshka:
Erika wasn't a common personality. I bet she was prepared to face a real enemy in Rentar's face. Such a foolish death of such a powerful mage is out of normal fantasy canon. Like Gendalf the Grey Mage or Dumbledore (though not written yet, but 99 to 1 he is alive).
Slightly silly perhaps, but sunlight isn't the first thing you worry about in a fortress 1000 feet(my guess) below ground. Rentar just had to wait untill she was in the exact right spot.

And I think Erika considers undead too evil to become one. If she was powermad enough to only be out for herself, she wouldn't help fight Rentar.

Logically it should take two successful attempts to kill Rentar. Likewise, it should only take one attempt to kill Erika. They are both dead now, neither expected to die, therefore there should be no contingency plans enacted.

I'm sure Jeff is as tired with those two women as anyone could be, and if bothers us so bad we can just change the scripts to give Rentar a different name, capiche?

Quote:
Originally written by Delicious Vlish:
Petrie in Blackcrag might have a spellbook that you can read to learn Quickfire, but it doesn't mean that he knows how to cast it.
Ahh, but you didn't pay him to read a spellbook, you paid him an ungodly sum of money to walk you through the incantation so you could cast it yourself. I don't pay my math professor to tell me which textbook I need and to "figure it out", I pay him for examples and demonstrations so I know what i'm doing. Petrie definately knew how to cast the spell.

Also, there's the matter of all those mages west of Fort Remote in Avernum 2 who were experimenting with barriers which dissolved on contact with Quickfire. Would you really waste your time on such an experiment if there was noone at your lab capable of creating the stuff to test it out?

By Old Scratch:

Quote:
For future reference, said vessel is often referred to as a "phylactery".
I know. I avoid using the term, because it actually is something orthodox Jews put pieces of the Torah in.

By JV:

Quote:
No more Erika. No more Rentar. No more Garzahd.

- Jeff Vogel

Now, if we can just get the BoE/Aers to agree...

--------------------

I have just discovered that LAN parties where no one brings games are not fun.

Quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

- Jeff Vogel
Yay! This day just keeps getting better!

(I will say, however, that I enjoyed killing Garzahd again. It was a most amusing scene, though I felt that he lacked the combat 'oomph' he had in A2.)

I'm a big fan of the Rentar, Erika, Garzhad announcement.

Incidentally, what is translated as a phylactery is more accurately refered to as tefillin. They don't contain the entire Torah, only Exodus 13:1-10, Exodus 13:11-16, Deuteronomy 6:4-9 and Deuteronomy 11:13-21. Those are the commandments to wear tefilin and the central prayer (creed, if you will) of Judaism.

That just got me waay off topic, so, let me just close by saying that I'm in the camp which wants something totally new.

Quote:
Long live Avernum.
Bye, Erika, wink. Let you come again in some BoA. Bye, Garzahd. May be demons will moarn of your death.
Bye, Rentar. A good villain were you. A good villain is better then a bad friend. So we shall find another good enemy.

Quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

- Jeff Vogel
Yay! I'm happy.

Garazhd = EVIL
Rentar = SHE REFUSES TO DIE
Erika = DOES SHE HAVE TO TRAP HER TOWER?

Marcelo - Interesting idea, but all he really needs to do is re-implement "rest". Then I'll be happy.

- Archmagus Micael