Avernum Favorites

I was most surprised to find that the majority of people (so far) picked Formello like me. What is it about that city? I guess it has political intrigue, good quests, good surrounding dungeons. Perhaps it is the fact that it is one of first major city we visit in most of the games. Perhaps that means Jeff just did a better job on it than the later ones (Dharmon, Blossk). Either way, it's a good city, solid, if you will.

In conclusion: Victory for Rentar!!!

Formello also has the most attractive landscaping and the generally speaking the least proximity to horrible monsters and/or foes of humanity.

—Alorael, who somehow never thought of the nephilim in A1 or the undead in A2 as especially close to Formello even though Formello gives out the quests. As for shades, Formello's seemed like the least disastrous one.

The one thing I hated about Formello was all the merchants wandering around the city trying to sell you stuff. They were almost as bad as that one heard of cows that followed you in the Great Cave.

X should probably have been considered a major character. Among all those minor characters, he really stands out.

Who voted for Camp Samuels? Was that an accident?

I hope at least one person votes for Bon-Ihrno.

Motrax, X, Formello, and Rescue Crystal Souls.

Motrax... he was just likeable. X was too, in that "you're completely insane, aren't you?" kind of way.

I agree that Formello was a rather peaceful place. Well, except for the cavequakes, the link to the vahnatai, the Black Shade of Death, and the ghost in the inn. But it was an awfully pretty town.

As for Rescuing the Crystal Souls, well... I have that at roughly the same level as Bring Down the Barriers, simply because it was a well-done plot with the vahnatai. Storming Ornotha is definitely one of my better memories of the first time I played A2.

Eh, Avernum was never truly about characters, it was about doing quests, getting loot, and killing things. Erika, Solberg, Bon-Ihrno, and Rentar-Ihrno are the closest we get to actual characters, and there isn't a lot to them other than their primary motivations for what they do.

I've always liked Formello. In E1 it seemed less boring than all the other Six Cities, possibly because it wasn't just plunked down in the middle of a big cave. (Except Dharmon; Dharmon was interesting and had that great description.) All those little windy tunnels were fun to explore. It's the main city in Chapter one of E2, which remains one of the best-balanced and (imho) most fun parts of any Spiderweb game. It's also near Motrax, who appears to be very popular among people who took this poll, and Solberg's Tower as well. And it must get some cachet from being the first contact with Bon-Ihrno.

In A4, Formello and Silvar seem to have way more sane residents than the other cities, though that could just be because they had a kinder Shade.

Also, see Formello .

I think I'll explain the return to the surface quest a bit. The actual process of finding bits of password and running the final gauntlet isn't fun. The idea is: you're given an entire game to explore while looking for exits, and there are several promising passages that end. I think it could have been played up more, but as is it serves as a perfect justification for a huge portion of the game.

—Alorael, who guesses that he thinks the surface quest has the most potential. In reality he things of all the major quests as series of smaller quests with good parts and boring parts.

BTW, the reason X isn't listed as a major character is that he is 100% insignificant to the plot and backstory of every game in the series. He has nothing to do with any major events or major quests, or for that matter any minor events.

The criteria for being a major character was mainly having major relevance to plot and story, and also having a large chunk of dialogue either spoken by or spoken about the character. Honestly, Anastasia's a lot closer to a major character than X is, and she's not either.

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:
I'm interested in why, Nioca.
Because it's the one place that I could actually sort of kick back and relax in, and the one place that didn't have the same air of panic as the rest of the cities in Avernum. Also, in A2, it was the first place I had found magic lockpicks, and in A4, it was the only way to get through Almaria. I think those are excellent reasons for choosing Camp Samuels.

If -X- were X, he would at least dabble in necromancy, just to have some knowledge of it's workings and to be able to identify spells being used. And he did summon that shade in Avernum 4.

And. . . The name -X- is similar to Exiled Necromancer? How? -X-'s name isn't overly imaginative, either, but other than that, nothing.