Stop me before I murder Lark

I read the book in Khoth's ruins. It said I know how to translate the scrolls now. Great. So I go back to Fort Monastery and talk to Lark. I tell her I know how to translate the scrolls and she says something along the lines of 'Then do it! Please! THe suspense is killing me!'

And that's it. Nothing more I can say to her other then 'So you're a hedge wizard?' and 'What services do you offer'

What gives? How do I translate the scrolls? Please help me out if you care anything about a poor young hedge wizard's life.

James

I was a little bit annoyed by that quest. I pushed straight on to the end from Khoth's lair and never made it back to Fort Monastery for the reward. Then I decided to finish every quest, so I went back and translated the scrolls and did other things.

Then I realized that I never talked to Lark after translating the scrolls, so that was the last quest I completed. It's more irritation than it's worth.

—Alorael, who also does not like that iron bars quest. It's the only quest that can't be completed.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a related question to this - by the time I clued in that I had to tell Lark I couldn't translate the scrolls and then get sent a new quest to talk to the sage in Formello, the shade had come to Formello and the sage wouldn't talk any more. Is there some way I can still complete this quest, or am I out of luck?

Does the shade go away eventually, or is it always there after a certain point? I tried leaving the city and doing other things and then coming back, but the stupid shade is still there. I even made a very ill-advised attempt to kill it, but I imagine you can all guess how well that went...

Quote:
Originally written by spidersilk:
Does the shade go away eventually, or is it always there after a certain point?
The shade moves semi-randomly between Silvar and Formello. Also, you can eventually kill the shade, which is another way of making it go away.

(In fact, by the time you finally finish the translation quest, you may well have killed the shades already. But you won't be doing either for a long time yet.)

The shades can move every time you load a new outdoor section. The easiest way to make that happen is to take the nearest pylon to Fort Avernum and then go right back. If you haven't visited Fort Avernum yet, you'll have to leave Formello and come back, but you actually have to travel a fair distance away from the city. I'm not sure quite how far, but if everything freezes for a moment after you take a step you've probably just experienced section loading.

—Alorael, who spent more time than he would like to think about jumping in and out of pylons to rearrange shades.