Any workups on magical efficiency?

Lattan

Well, in my experience, the freakish bonus to Spell Points from just one more level of Intelligence beats the SP-conserving bonuses from one level of Mag. Efficiency.

So, bottom line: increase your SP with intelligence, and just invest in some energy potions. You end up with a lot more energy left over.

Plus, there comes a point where you have more than enough spell energy, and you're better off investing in Spellcraft and Magery to make your spells better. I have a hard time imagining how even a full-time mage could need more than 10 intelligence. Maybe a full-time mage/priest who's your only source of Augmentation and Enduring Armor would need more, but why have only one spellcaster in your party anyway?

I would recommend going up to 8 Intelligence, which is enough with 6 Priest or Mage Spells to give you Magery. Then you have the option of bumping up Magery or Spellcraft to make spells more powerful, whichever is cheaper. Eventually, you'll probably wind up with a couple of items to bump your spellcaster(s) up another point or two in intelligence. But I find 8-10 Intelligence plenty, and prefer making my spells more powerful. Quickly killing your foes is probably more important in this game than having great longevity in spellcasting ability, and that's what energy potions are for.

I asked Jeff several times during the beta why mages who had Natural Mage didn't get any Magery, considering their spells were going to be more powerful and more damaging. Magical Efficiency did absolutely nothing to live up to the skills description. Their spells only occasionally cost a single point less, but did no extra damage as advertised.

Jeff would answer my emails and discuss other points, but he refused to offer an explaination on why Natural Mages don't get Magery.

I was mildly annoyed to the say the least.

Well, the bonus to Mage Spells skill does make your spells more powerful as well as giving you access to more spells.

Oh, and Alo, Pure Spirit gives Magical Efficiency too, and actually gives more of it than Natural Mage does. Admittedly, though, Magical Efficiency on its own isn't a particularly compelling reason to take either trait.

Heh. I actually meant Pure Spirit because I didn't realize Natural Mage gives Magical Efficiency. It either gives none at level 1 or that was changed after the earlier betas. Since my characters have both traits, I stopped distinguishing between them.

—Alorael, who remembers thinking that mages get a good deal with a 15% permissible encumberance increase. Priests get... well, they must be fond of self-torture in the name of piety.

Well, priests get cheaper priest spells with or without Pure Spirit and have no encumbrance issues, so a priest with Pure Spirit and a Mage with Natural Mage are roughly on the same foot, except the mage has more expensive spell levels and could still become encumbered, if you really weigh him down with the wrong combination of armor.