A4 - Athron's Door won't budge

Gingau

I've had no trouble with doors until this point. If my lockpicking skill of 19 wasn't good enough, my mage could usually blast it. But Athron's door wants 9 more training levels. This seems like an awful lot of not being able to train in anything else for a long time. Is having that high a tool use skill really the only way to get that infernal shroud? I weas so looking forward to using Demonslayer on a first victim! (btw, I have made it past Ft Remote and gone through all the pylons to meet up with Monoaha-Tel the second time on the outskirts of Rentar-Ihrno's keep -if anyone thinks I'm trying for this trinket too early.)

I think I opened the door the first time with the unlock spell and tool use 12. Avernum 4 is the first game where the tool use is combined with mage skills to unlock harder difficulty doors. Although if you ask around there is a key.

Athron's lair is supposed to be doable after finishing the Mertis Spiral. Even a singleton can do it if you are prepared and pay attention.