A4 - Dowdy's Stupid Iron

Scartol

This is a really dumb question, but I'm all detail-obsessed like that. Early in the game, Dowdy says Go and Fetch Me Iron. I forgot about it, and now I'm sick of seeing it in my quest list. So I've gone around getting iron (buying it, in some cases), and I must have brought him at least 15 bars by now.

Does this quest ever end? Is there a certain amount (or a special bar) I need to bring to get him off my case? Or am I doomed to have his command hanging over me like a stupid Sword o' Damocles for the rest of my Avernal life?

I know, dumb thing for me to get worked up about. Thanks in advance for any help..

I bothered to loot everything that has a value greater than 3 or could be stacked untill it has such value. yes EVERYTHING.

Because Dowdy gives a better price for iron bars than normal merchants do, I also bothered to bring him EVERY bar I could loot, including some with a NY tag. I didn't count them, but I think it must be somewhere around 500 bars in total.

And he only accepts iron, fine steel he doesn't want.

All I can think of is that the Fort Monastery script has been changed to give you 4000 instead. Have you messed with any of the scripts, or installed a script-based editor/cheat? In my version, talknode 93 in z60monasterdlg.txt has code

Code:
change_coins(num_of_item(262) * 20);

take_num_of_item(262,num_of_item(262));

If that 20 happens to be 4000 instead, you might want to change it back. Make sure you back up the scripts folder before you start changing it, though, just in case something goes wrong.

• 1 month later...
Quote:
Quoting Croikle:
All I can think of is that the Fort Monastery script has been changed to give you 4000 instead. Have you messed with any of the scripts, or installed a script-based editor/cheat? In my version, talknode 93 in z60monasterdlg.txt has code
code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

change_coins(num_of_item(262) * 20);
take_num_of_item(262,num_of_item(262));

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If that 20 happens to be 4000 instead, you might want to change it back. Make sure you back up the scripts folder before you start changing it, though, just in case something goes wrong.
Actually as of 12/25/05 till today it's * 2000 (vice 4000 instead of * 20 per iron bar (item262)) and the next line is missing causing it to not take item from party and when it hits 30000 it goes to zero coins. You can fix Hawk Kings Dawdy prob by adding the second line as quoted above (this is from original script). You could even leave the * 2000 alone and it will simply stop at 30000 coins. The Dawdy quest is good because if you aren't using an editor he pays more than anyone in the game at 20 (vice 7) coins and iron bars are fairly plentiful (though heavy). I also have wondered why, other than a better sell price, and ability to get more coins early in game, this quest is there as it appears you can't complete it. The above reasons are enough to have it though. After you're farther into the game you'll just skip ol' Dawdy anyhow.

Note: It would be best to copy and paste from original to correct count and replace missing line. Don't really need the 20 to be 2000 as Bodrie will fill your purse to 30000 for the asking if you are using Hawk Kings A4 editor.

P.S. Can the name Dowdy in this thread be changed from Dowdy to Dawdy?