Geneforge loading and saving problem

Archmage Alex

I registered about, oh, 3 days ago. My game has ben working fine. Suddenly, just as I was about to enter a new area, my screen turned blue and in white letters I was told that there had been an error and I was to press any button to close the program. I did so. I opened Geneforge again and tried to load my game. As I clicked on the load button the blue-screen experience repeated itself. I restarted my computer. The problem was still there. I tried starting a new game. It worked fine. But as I hit Ctrl-S the problem happened again.

I've tried every other method of saving and loading and none of them work. As I am typing this I am redownloading a new version of Geneforge because I think that this problem can probably not be corrected. Just thought I'd post here though to see If there was some solution to my problem.

i'm guessing that you are using Windows 95/98, since newer Windows versions do not have these blue screens. i've used 98 before, and it is not too stable compared to Win2k and WinXP.

possible problems:

1. it could be a software conflict with another game, from a different company. trying uninstalling your other games one by one, and rerun Geneforge until the blue screens stop, which means you have uninstalled the game which caused the conflict.

2. not enough RAM. Win98 uses your hard drive for RAM equivalents when there is not enough memory at the moment, making your system very slow and unstable, hence the blue screen and Geneforge crashing on you. the solution here is to buy an extra chip.

3. some vital files in Geneforge could have been corrupted when you typed in the registration code. try uninstalling, then reinstalling the game.

Uninstall/reinstall worked, but now my version is unregistered. And the code I got doesn't work. I guess I'll just e-mail Spiderweb for a new password. I managed to save my save file at least:). It loaded fine,but as soon as I left the area I was in I was transported back to the begining docks and couldn't leave the demo areas.