Firebolt

Istara

If you've already used one, you can't use it again. So if the reason that your mage has a lower level than your priest is that your mage happened to be unconscious when you read the book, you're out of luck.

If you happened to buy more Firebolt levels for your priest than for your mage, you can go back to anyone who sells the spell and buy another level for your mage.

No - no one was unconscious, ever.

I can't buy any more Firebolt. Which is odd, because I thought you were allowed to buy +2 levels of every spell, even if you had already found a couple of levels. And presumably my Mage started off with one level, so I'm not quite sure what's happened.

If anyone knows where the Firebolt spellbooks are located, it would be very useful.

I'm guessing you didn't give your priest any Mage Spells skill until AFTER level 1, am I right?

There's a very subtle oddity in the way that Bolt of Fire and Minor Heal are handled. If you start with enough Mage Spells or Priest Spells skill to know a level of Bolt of Fire or Minor Heal, it counts as a bought level (i.e. you can only buy one more level from a trainer). However, if you put a level into Mage Spells or Priest Spells after character creation, having had 0 levels in it when you first created your character, you still get a free level of Bolt of Fire or Minor Heal, but in this case it counts as a found level, so you can still buy two more levels from a trainer.

Try it for yourself. Start a character out with 1 Mage Spells and another character with 0 Mage Spells. Then, immediately after finishing character creation, use the second character's spare skill points to buy them 1 level of Mage Spells. Lark will train your first character up to level 2 in Bolt of Fire, but will train your second character all the way up to level 3.

Thuryl - that's sort of what must have happened. One character is the pre-configured mage, the other is a priest whom I gave one level of mage spells to during character creation.

The priest - though she already had one level - was able to buy two more. The mage was only allowed to buy one more.

So does anyone know where any places are to learn more Firebolt (ie tomes?)

There are no Bolt of Fire tomes anywhere in the game. (Or if there are, then I've missed them, and I don't think I have.) You'll have to make do with the level of Bolt of Fire you currently have.

If it's any consolation, spell levels really don't make much difference in Avernum 4.