trapped in the scree caves

margafromspain

Thats odd... I'm not sure what might have happened. I have seen people tell stories about bizarre things happening to later quests if you head into the scree caves before you are supposed to, but not that.

Unless someone else has a suggestion, you might have to cheat your way out. Type shift-d then enter "backtostart", and hit enter. This will return you to Ft Monastary. I have never used this myself, so be forwarned. Previous Avernum games have had bizzare results when cheating your way out of areas.

Good luck!

It shouldn't cause trouble. I think Jeff assumed that you would have gotten permission to go through Fort Emerald, which makes the barriers disappear, before going through Fort Saffron and the Darkside base there. Cheat with impunity!

—Alorael, who has never had problems returning to start except at times when it's obviously a bad idea. Under Tinraya, while rescuing Ghall-Ihrno, or in the middle of Dark Waters are all examples of bad times.

I think I know what must have happened here, so let me take a guess:

-You went to Fort Saffron and cleared out the bandits

-You exited through a narrow passage that drops you in the Scree Caves

-You got Demonslayer and killed the drake

...in that order. I assume that you never talked to the commander of Fort Emerald about the crystal box quest? That's the only way to get the barriers lowered (assuming you have the fixed version where you can't just dispel them).

Thus, backtostart wouldn't mess up the plot at all. Just go talk to Advisor Houghton about the crystal box, then talk to Fort Emerald's commander.

EDIT: Drat. Beaten by a full four minutes.

Quote:
Originally written by margafromspain:
The mistake, maybe, was not to talk about the crystal box at Fort Emerald... But how?
Keep doing quests for the Castle and eventually you'll get one which requires you to go past Fort Emerald. At that point you can ask for the barriers to be lowered for you.