I miss Exile.

I like Avernum 4. I'll play the demo a while longer and then probably buy it. But I miss the feel of the Exile games. Graphically, I loved them far more than Avernum's appearance. Except the little images for skills and stats in Avernum. I love those.

Great game, guys. I've been looking forward to it for a while. Just wanted to say thanks for all the years of enjoyment I've had from this site. I guess I also wanted to make a post to make sure my account was still active. smile

Arent Exile graphick like pre-historical?I tried to play Exile but couldnt stand the graphick and the gameplay so I quited quite early in the game.

Avernum has much improved and I quite liked it ,but I always prefered Geneforge graphick, really liked it when they used it in A4.

From what I have heard and sean think A5 will significaly improve.

Cant wait for it to come out for windows!

Greetings pilgrim. You have come to the forums in dark times, for the ancient world is fading even as we speak. The great power the Exile graphics held over the viewers is seeping away.

Only united can we stem the flow of the tyranical "Tech mode" and save the series from extinction!

Join me! Together we shall conqure this threat and once and for all secure the future of the chess-effect 2-D modes! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!![Etc etc etc]

quote:

Originally written by Bells beyond unit L

Join me! Together we shall conqure this threat and once and for all secure the future of the chess-effect 2-D modes! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

If you want to live in past you can.But dont think every one will.

You cannot use one old awful graphic for 10 years.World is moving on so I advise you to do so too and accept the fact that the graphicks and games will move on, become better and change to better.

What would the games look like if they havent pased to 3-D modes?!

Quote:
Originaly be the Nalyd fanboy
Greetings pilgrim. You have come to the forums in dark times, for the ancient world is fading even as we speak. The great power the Exile graphics held over the viewers is seeping away.

Only united can we stem the flow of the tyranical "Tech mode" and save the series from extinction!

Join me! Together we shall conqure this threat and once and for all secure the future of the chess-effect 2-D modes! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!![Etc etc etc]

Look, I like all types of graphics. Everyone has their own opinion. They may go eventually, but time has to move on. Deal with it per...son?

My god! You yourselfs say you left your sanity at the door but whenever I make even the slightest attempt at a joke you suddenly go "Gosh isent he weird"

This one at least A) Expressed my feelings B) My like of the Exile style C) My respect for a returned oldbie and D) My distinction between the old and new engines.

Boys, please, read past the insanity to see the underlying order amongst the seeming chaos.

(At least I'm not associating people with fruit)

/Thinks to self if they will ever get it.

Quote:
Originally written by Washington Irving:
I have to vote for Exile too. I really like the simplicity of the 2D world.

For the record: I also liked the Ultima games,
I've heard this a few times now. Am I the only one who didn't stop playing Ultima after Ultima 5?

Ultimas 6 and 7 were my favorites (especially the Fujitsu FM-Towns version of 6 I owned with all voice acting), and improved the graphics dramatically.

I see the Geneforge engine as more like Ultima 7, and the old Avernum engine as Ultima 6. Exile more like Ultima 5, just without the black background/white characters look.

ss5.png

exultx.jpg

As long as Jeff keeps his colorful room descriptions a part of the game and keeps developing the Avernum world, I will keep gladly buying.

I'm a retro gamer, but I don't want Jeff's audience to be limited to hard-core retro gamers. I doubt he'd be able to support himself that way.

BUT...I'll agree its a fine line for Jeff to walk between keeping his faithful who were probably attracted to his games for the retro feel, and not turning off potential new buyers with a game thats "too" retro in its look and feel.

What kicked ass about Avernum was all of the sprite art, until Avernum 4 which replaced it all with really lame poser renders that limited the scope of what could be put in the game. The animations that approach enabled was not even close to a good compromise I think, compared to neat looking sprites that reflected what kind of weapon and armor you had and everything.

Quote:
Originally written by Tool:
What kicked ass about Avernum was all of the sprite art, until Avernum 4 which replaced it all with really lame poser renders that limited the scope of what could be put in the game. The animations that approach enabled was not even close to a good compromise I think, compared to neat looking sprites that reflected what kind of weapon and armor you had and everything.
A-men

Old Avernum and its style died.But it was reborn from the ashes and became something better and bigger in form of A4.

Games shouldn't be judget by their graphick.If its not good enough or if you arren't used to it, it should be judget by how much is it fun to play and nothing else.If the game is fun to play you won't mind the graphicks and other minor stuff.

Isn't it fun to explore A4 many dungeons and abandoned forts?Graphick is a minor thing compared to it.

SwampyDungeon.jpg

Quote:
Originally written by LakiRa@:
Games shouldn't be judget by their graphick.If its not good enough or if you arren't used to it, it should be judget by how much is it fun to play and nothing else.If the game is fun to play you won't mind the graphicks and other minor stuff.
Quote:
Arent Exile graphick like pre-historical?I tried to play Exile but couldnt stand the graphick and the gameplay so I quited quite early in the game.
Objection, your honour! There is a contradiction in the witness' testimony!

quote:

Upps...I meant to say that I couldn't stand the Exile at all.Not just the graphicks.I didn't pay much attention when writting it.

Do you want me to edit it?

Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:
Quote:
Quote:
Objection, your honour! There is a contradiction in the witness' testimony!
Kill him!

Quote:
Originally written by Nioca:
Exile just doesn't seem as fleshed out and as well executed as Avernum. Additionally, you really get a feel for the environment with Avernum.
Funny, I think it's exactly the other way around smile
And I disliked the geneforge engine transition the most of all, everything is looking more and more the same, variation is dead frown
I still play the games as I love the world they take place in but somehow I am never as Immersed as I used to be back when the cave floor was green frown