A4 - Chitrach Attack

Aoslare

I've been playing A4 again and after all my whining about the Eastern Gallery chitrachs, I decided I needed to keep a count of them. So far I've killed 15 chitrachs, but I haven't ventured into the swamps and I haven't gone into a single underground area with chitrachs.

So consider this poll kind of like one of those elementary school exercises where you have to estimate how many jelly beans are in the candy jar, but instead, you're guessing the number of chitrachs in a cave.

CLARIFICATION: This counts plated and all other varieties of the bugs as well, though I am keeping a count for each type of chitrach, also.

I think my numbers were too low, in fact.

I've now cleared out the entire "ground" level (unless there are chitrachs on the slith peninsula, but I don't think there are) plus the chitrach crevice under the farm, since that is a contained area. The caves that stretch for 20 areas are untouched.

TOTAL SO FAR - 103 CHITRACHS

67 vanilla chitrachs

30 plated chitrachs

6 unique chitrachs (4 gnawing, 1 venomous, 1 eggtender)

Needless to say, this is unsettling. I hesitate to guess what the numbers will be after I tackle those caves, but... oof.

As far as I can tell, there are zero respawning chitrachs except for the bugs created on-the-fly by the queen.

I'm somewhere between a third and a half done with the underground areas now, and I'm close to 200. Suffice it to say that this was not the best-designed poll ever.

...anyway, this is ridiculous. Right now I'm hoping it doesn't make it to 300. Sheesh. I remember that the last level of Wizards & Warriors was supposed to be really hard because it had 100 monsters in it. ChronoTrigger made a big deal out of the "100 beasts" in Magus's Castle. But those monsters were all varied, and they did not all have Parry and Riposte with a poisonous attack.

Thank god they no longer use the clawbug graphic, that's all I can say.

Well, my last post turned out to be a little alarmist. The underground tunnels were less extensive than I remembered -- of course they don't reach the eastern half of the Gallery. I think I was just so traumatized from the clawbug graphics that I exaggerated it in my mind. Here are the final totals. I have not included any bugs created by the Chitrach Queen (though I have included the Queen herself, which might be controversial -- is she really a chitrach?). The parentheses give a breakdown of the bugs found in the chitrach labyrinth vs those found above ground or in the farm crevice.

TOTAL: 227 (123/104)

120 Vanilla Chitrachs (53/67)

81 Plated Chitrachs (51/30)

5 Hivetender Chitrachs (5/0)

4 Gnawing Chitrachs (0/4)

4 Frenzied Chitrachs (4/0)

4 Dormant Chitrachs (4/0)

3 Infected Chitrachs (3/0)

2 Eggtender Chitrachs (1/1)

1 Venomous Chitrach (0/1)

1 Mindwarp Chitrach (0/1)

1 Reddish Chitrach (1/0)

1 Chitrach Queen (1/0)

Nonetheless... 227. RIDICULOUS. DIE, CHITRACHS, DIE.

The thing that I think really made them horrible for me the first time was facing them as a singleton. I had a 99% dodge against them, but the lack of good First Aid meant I had to just use my bow against them, so each chitrach basically attacked and missed 3 or 5 times, with me shooting them in between each one. Their attack sound/animation gets very annoying when it is a repeated pause in a chain of pressing the same button over and over.