Stuck in-between Honeycomb!

pygmy

(First post. Seems like the right place to put it, but let me know if I'm wrong.)

So the last few days, I've been doing boring recon of the Honeycomb west of Mertis. I go in, poke around, kill some stuff, get some things, go back to Mertis to recharge/save. I'm freakish* about my savegames.

So, today, I did the previously mentioned things, saved in Mertis, quit (The Mister was being fussy about using the computer, so I remember specifically getting back to Mertis to quit/save).

When I reloaded, something went bug-tacular. Not only was I in the Honeycomb (not where I saved, and yes, it was the right slot) but only my first character appeared initially, followed by the rest popping into existence (like unconscious characters reviving at a city gate).

And I was in-between* the maze areas of the Honeycomb! Basically, could travel through all of the negative gamespace from the maze, north to the river and all the way west to the Great Cave and whatnot, but very boring as there wasn't anything in* the negative gamespace, and no way out.

Place names and terrain changed accordingly, but no obstacles or NPCs, obviously.

Very weird. Otherwise, a rocking game all around, although I miss the Cheaty McCheatster charactor editor bits.

Wow. Haven't heard of that one before. Fortunately, you can rescue your game by typing Shift-D, and then entering backtostart in the window that appears. You'll instantly be taken back to Fort Monastery.

There are other cheat codes for A4 as well, as described in this thread .

Thanks for the heads-up. Does the backtostart work in Mac? (going to try it anyway)

If anyone programmity wants to look at it, I kept the weirdo savegame in its original condition. Drop me a line if anyone wants to look at it.

Now, completely shameless, I'm off to figure out how to get lots of money and experience without working for it (too bad there aren't codes for real life like that)!

Oh, and a big thank you to the millionth power to all the wonderful folks who put these games together. You have my undying love for keeping non-3D adventure gaming rocking.

Welcome to the boards. Discovery of a bogglingly bizarre bug is an auspicious first post. You should do well here.

Now that I know it's really possible to move between the walls, I finally understand where those wretched scratching chitrachs come from. And there's a squirrel or something in the roof just above me here. I better not think about this any more.

Quote:
Originally written by pygmy:
If anyone programmity wants to look at it, I kept the weirdo savegame in its original condition. Drop me a line if anyone wants to look at it.
It's possible that Jeff would be interested. His e-mail is spidweb (at) spiderwebsoftware (dot) com . Be sure to tell him exactly what you did.