Armor vs Resistances

Hello there, just bought Geneforge 4 after having a ball with the demo...

I'm unable to find any real info on what armor does.

Is it a percentage to dodge or does it subtract physical dmg? Does it affect anything other than physical attacks?

Also, as the topic states, is it better to go for armor or resistance?

Thanks in advance! smile

It means that if you take 100 damage, wearing those gaunlets would let you take 96. But the % is not cummulative. You have to take each piece of armour separately . For example you are wearing 5 peices of armour that each reduce damage by 20%. A monster hits you for 100 damage (without armour) The first piece takes away 20 damage.

100*0.8=80

The next takes 20 percent of that. 80*0.8=64

64*0.8=51.2

51.2*0.8=40.96

40.96*0.8= 32.768

The armour only took away 67.232 damage not 100.

Quote:
Originally written by Noceur:
Thanks for the replies, but I meant the armor %. :p
Like, normal Gauntlets have "Armor: +4%". What does the 4% do?
Welcome, welcome! I'll leave it to a non-lurker to extend the formal board salutations, with regards to where one is to leave one's sanity...

As far as armor goes, if you search around you'll find long discussions on the subject, but I'll try to summarize: Armor % for your various worn items contribute to damage reduction from when you're hit. It's not a simple additive function, however, but slightly more complex.

For instance, if you are wearing a 51% armor item, a 30% armor item, and a 20% armor item, you might think you're invincible -- 101%! Not so.

Your true harm reduction is 51% + (30% of (100-51)%, or 15%) + (20% of (100-51-15)%, or 7%), for a true reduction in damage of 51+15+7 = 73%.

Correct me if I'm wrong, folks.

Hope that helps -- enjoy the games, and have fun on the boards!

[edit: guess I was beaten to the punch!...]

Quote:
Originally written by Leftover Sauerkraut:
It means that if you take 100 damage, wearing those gaunlets would let you take 96. But the % is not cummulative. You have to take each piece of armour separately . For example you are wearing 5 peices of armour that each reduce damage by 20%. A monster hits you for 100 damage (without armour) The first piece takes away 20 damage.
100*0.8=80
The next takes 20 percent of that. 80*0.8=64

64*0.8=51.2
51.2*0.8=40.96
40.96*0.8= 32.768

The armour only took away 67.232 damage not 100.
What order are the damage reductions applied in? Largest to smallest, smallest to largest, random, or...?

Well, the actual question is little bit deeper then that.

I believe this math applies only to "physical" type damage, does it? Because I remember back some time reading about G3 that "armor provide half it's value to effect resistances, therefore "20% armor" and "10% armor 5% HER" are quite the same thing in regard to magic/fire/etc..."

is this true (omitting the multiplicative math laugh should be like 7% HER to make up for it I guess), or close to?