Wingbolt or Kyshakk

I'd take the Wingbolt. That's what I did, and it was a blast. The Wingbolt does enormous damage against the relatively poorly resistant creatures of the Fens. It takes down most things in one shot, as I recall. But you'll have to pace yourself, because it runs out of energy quickly until it gets some experience.

I found Kyshakks rather disappointing in comparison. They're fine, but just not as much firepower.

They are extremely similar. Wingbolts start a few levels higher and have slightly more energy, though not by much. They are down about 300 HP, though as mentioned they have better resistance to energy attacks (80% vs 50% for the kyshakk). Their breath attack will always be a little bit stronger, but lacks the lightning aura effect.

I'd vote wingbolt for the simple fact that in a duel, the wingbolt would beat the kyshakk every time.

Quote:
They are extremely similar. Wingbolts start a few levels higher and have slightly more energy, though not by much. They are down about 300 HP, though as mentioned they have better resistance to energy attacks (80% vs 50% for the kyshakk). Their breath attack will always be a little bit stronger, but lacks the lightning aura effect.
So far the Wingbolt has done up to 250 damage, while the Kyshakk has only reached around 150 damage. Also, the Wingolt seems to do better damage in melee.

Not just magic damage.

Wingbolts seem to also resist ice damage better, fire damage, acid, and poison. My wingbolts always take less damage than anything else I have. Kyshakks or however it is spelled, well, you don't need two different creations doing the same damage type. So I tend to go with cryodryaks and dryaks.

Out of all my usual creations though, wingbolts are the most magically resistant. Everything sort of bounces off.

But I have to watch when something melees them though. They are fragile. Well, relatively speaking that is. Physical damage rips them up pretty bad.

Their melee attacks should be almost exactly the same, except for the poison inflicted by the wingbolt. That is another bonus, it's true.

The damage gap also sounds huger than expected. Do you have more training in Magic Shaping than Fire Shaping?

EDIT: Vlish, I'm confused. Wingbolts actually have slightly more physical resistance ("armor") than kyshakks, 40% vs 30%. But neither creation has any resistance whatsoever to ice, fire, acid, or poison. None. Have you actually tested this or is it just an impression?

Quote:
Originally written by --Slarty:
Their melee attacks should be almost exactly the same, except for the poison inflicted by the wingbolt. That is another bonus, it's true.

The damage gap also sounds huger than expected. Do you have more training in Magic Shaping than Fire Shaping?

EDIT: Vlish, I'm confused. Wingbolts actually have slightly more physical resistance ("armor") than kyshakks, 40% vs 30%. But neither creation has any resistance whatsoever to ice, fire, acid, or poison. None. Have you actually tested this or is it just an impression?
Just random observation through the beta. I think it is because the Kyshakk has more life and lasts longer in melee.

As for the magic attacks, I can't explain it, the wingbolt just feels like it takes less damage, but I can't explain why. But with powerful magic user types, my wingbolts lasted longer than my lightning spitters did. But I can't say why.

Quote:
As for the magic attacks, I can't explain it, the wingbolt just feels like it takes less damage, but I can't explain why. But with powerful magic user types, my wingbolts lasted longer than my lightning spitters did. But I can't say why.
It felt like this for me too. My Wingbolt seems to take less damage than my Kyshakk did. They last the same amount of time, when disposible, but the Kyshakk has twice as much health.

Quote:
Yes I have one more level of magic shaping, but even they were both level 3, the Wingbolt would be miles ahead of the Kyshakk damage wise.

I've used both and for damage a wingbolt is better for missle and the poison bonus in melee. A kyshakk is better for defense since it has higher health. If you are using it a shield against heavy damaging opponents then a kyshakk can just stand there and suck it up. Spine shield a kyshakk and then stand back and heal it from a distance.

I always like the wingbolt graphics better and thought that was the coolest new one that Jeff added.

Also, my hasted Wingbolt can terrorize a Rotghroth in two turns.

I was fighting the maddened Rot that you find under the Golem's Fen and I used speed spores while attacking. I couldn't do very much damage since my weapon was an Oozing Blade which gives poison damage, which is what Rots resist. When my Wingbolts turn came, it did about 450 damage with two attacks. Next turn the Rot doesn't move. Then it leaves the Rot with about 100 health. Terror toke affect and it ran away. My Wingbolt easily finished it.

So far, the only thing I have found that the Wingbolt doesn't seem to resist is acid.