Things to Know on First Play Through

Sleeping Dragon

I'm not even finished yet, but I've already managed to screw up quite a few things because I didn't know any better. This thread is to help people to not make the same mistakes that I did. These are just a few things I did wrong, feel free to add more. Try to make them as spoiler free as possible, since this is designed to help those on a first play through.

1. Keep several saves in case you make a major mistake so you don't lose most of your game.

2. For the Lysstak's Spies quest in Harkin's Landing, be sure to get information from both Kelda and Kolata (by way of that guy outside the town) before visiting their ambushes in the tunnels under Drake's Pillars.

3. Don't free Anemona the Drake near Harkin's landing unless you want to make the town hostile (saw this in another thread).

4. If someone gives you a quest and specifically tells you not to do the same thing for someone else, there is probably an option to do it for that other person if you seek them out. If you like options, don't rush to do those quests for the first person that gives them to you.

5. Hold off on killing Shafrir (if you plan on killing him) until you reach Muck, there is a message for him on the job board.

6. Be careful with exploring Tranquility without the proper bracelet. After killing about 15 golems/sentinels in self defense the entire area goes hostile about destroying their defenders. This doesn't apply to the Sentinel Workshop.

7. If you kill Dervish Tholmen, you can still join the Darkside Loyalists but it will be a bit harder. More importantly, if you kill Belichick, the prisoner in Melanchion's Fortress, you will not be able to join them at all.

8. If you turn Shanker in to Sergeant Ciena, you will not be able to do her quests. You can finish any that you are currently working on, but the ones she gives out much later you will be unable to do.

Basically it seems most of my problems stem from not visiting major towns in the area before exploring the region. Since Muck is all the way on the far side of the Azure caves, I think this is a reasonable mistake for a first timer to make. Good luck with your adventures!

Quote:
1. Don't steal from the merchant Fuller's basement in Harkin's Landing (even if no one catches you). I can't hand mined crystals in to him because I did this.
There is another merchant in the Vahnatai Lands that buys mined crystals at a higher price and with better rewards. During testing I sold most of mine and missed out on a lot of cash.

Quote:
4. Wait until you have made it to the city of Muck before dealing with the giant queen in her spire. You may want to make a different choice. The same goes for reporting Muck's supply cache.
You can get both rewards for dealing with the giant queen if you cash in the Highground reward first. There is an interesting response from Highground after you kill the queen, but at least the town doesn't go hostile.

The Muck cache quest depends upon whether you need the item more than cash. By the way there is nothing to stop you from looting the cache yourself except a conscience.

Quote:
5. Hold off on killing Shafrir (if you plan on killing him) until you reach Muck, there is a message for him on the job board.
Don't forget to ask for Solberg's Calipers. At least if you haven't killed Solberg.

6. Be careful with exploring Tranquility without the proper bracelet. After killing about 15 golems/sentinels in self defense the entire area goes hostile about destroying their defenders. This doesn't apply to the Sentinel Workshop.

7. Keep several saves in case you make a major mistake so you don't lose most of your game.

8. Leaving Tholmen alive in the Howling Depths can pay off in the long run no matter what you want to do in the end.

"This thread is to help people to not make the same mistakes that I did."

But that's half the fun. Sure, read this thread after you play through the first time to find the stuff you missed. But enjoy the mistakes. Realise you don't need to get absolutely everything to enjoy the game.

So, the mistake you should avoid:

Don't think that you need to do everything perfectly to succeed or enjoy the game.

Quote:
There is another merchant in the Vahnatai Lands that buys mined crystals at a higher price and with better rewards. During testing I sold most of mine and missed out on a lot of cash.
Good point, I just got to the Vahnatai lands and found her. I'll remove that warning. Steal from that guy at your hearts desire! smile
Quote:
You can get both rewards for dealing with the giant queen if you cash in the Highground reward first. There is an interesting response from Highground after you kill the queen, but at least the town doesn't go hostile.
I didn't know you could do that! It seems my mistake was worse than I thought... here I thought you had to choose one. Heh, by following my own advice I missed out, I'll remove that tip as well. 6, 7 and 8 are great, I'll add them to my first post.

Skippy has a good point, but making mistakes is not fun for everyone, me for example. I don't like feeling that I missed something or messed something up.

I added a point about quests for Shanker.

Also, I left Dervish Tholmen alive after my first encounter with him, and it didn't seem to help me later. I just had to fight him again when entering Darkside loyalist lands (I was anti-loyalist). What would have been different if I had killed him?

Quote:
Originally written by Sleeping Dragon:
[QBAlso, I left Dervish Tholmen alive after my first encounter with him, and it didn't seem to help me later. I just had to fight him again when entering Darkside loyalist lands (I was anti-loyalist). What would have been different if I had killed him?[/QB]
If you are pro-Darkside loyalist, haven't attacked Ruth, and do Tholmen's quest to Free Belichick, then you can get training from him at Dorikas' Fortress extremely cheap and some of them are only available here.

If you are anti-Darkside Loyalist, then you get to fight another Dervish named Kelehr and inside the fortress is Dervish Ximes.

• 2 months later...

I figured I'd bump this thread since the game is out for windows now and people have already asked about a few of these things. I personally found this thread very useful. Too bad Sleeping Dragon didn't bother to stick around, though I can't say I blame him.

Maybe add this thread to strategy central as sort of a FAQ?

Quote:
Originally written by Sleeping Dragon:
I added a point about quests for Shanker.
So, I turned Shanker in to Cienna, but didn't tell Shanker that I had. I can still do Shanker's quests, and get her to teach me magic, but she still asks me to "Put in a word with Cienna" for better rewards/spells/whatever.

Loophole?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK,

here's something you definitely want to know on your first play:

Things your party drops will remain everywhere.

Things in chests and on the floor before you got there will remain there (but if you want to be sure take it out of the chest and drop it on the floor).

Things that enemies drop (except maybe rare/special) will disappear.

If you plan to come back for the loot (because you currently don't have space for it), drop something, pick up the loot, walk around a bit and then drop the loot and retrieve the something (unless you don't want to).

You are, of course, welcome to play any way you wish. smile This topic was mostly for people who wanted to avoid huge mistakes, some of which could be, in my own opinion, game breaking. People who don't like permanently incomplete quests or friendly towns going hostile will probably appreciate this information the most.

Originally Posted By: Sleeping Dragon

2. For the Lysstak's Spies quest in Harkin's Landing, be sure to get information from both Kelda and Kolata (by way of that guy outside the town) before visiting their ambushes in the tunnels under Drake's Pillars.

If you have forgotten to do so, don't fret - when you finally find and kill Lysstak, just talk to Pefko then and you'll complete this quest.