GF2: guardian claymore or puresteel blade

Micawber

It has been a couple of months since I even looked at a Geneforge game, so I can't remember everything off the top of my head. But, for what it's worth...

It's all a balancing act really. For a Agent or Shaper, you'd want something different. I have the impression you are using a guardian though.

There is a late to really-late game puresteel weapon that hits harder than the guardian claymore or a puresteel blade. Has some sort of stat boosting effect as well. I can't remember what its name was. IIRC, you can only get it as a Taker, and you have to get stat drained by the creation that gives it to you.

I agree with Dikiyoba on the pure damage output - I always had slightly higher damage output from the puresteel blade. But (my recollection is not perfect here) if the guardian claymore adds strength to your creations as well, and you actually have a powerful creation, then the claymore's stat boosts pay off.

Quote:
Originally written by CPeters:

There is a late to really-late game puresteel weapon that hits harder than the guardian claymore or a puresteel blade. Has some sort of stat boosting effect as well. I can't remember what its name was. IIRC, you can only get it as a Taker, and you have to get stat drained by the creation that gives it to you.
Radiant Soulblade.

Quote:
But (my recollection is not perfect here) if the guardian claymore adds strength to your creations as well, and you actually have a powerful creation, then the claymore's stat boosts pay off.
I can confirm it gives +2 strength to your creation(s) as well as your PC (in this case a guardian, as you correctly deduced). But I'm not sure how much difference +2 strength really makes to my gazer's attack; no more can I quantify how much the +2 strength boosts my PC's attack. It would simply be too boring to do a proper controlled trial.

Thanks anyway.

Quote:
Originally written by Micawber:
Quote:
But (my recollection is not perfect here) if the guardian claymore adds strength to your creations as well, and you actually have a powerful creation, then the claymore's stat boosts pay off.
I can confirm it gives +2 strength to your creation(s) as well as your PC (in this case a guardian, as you correctly deduced). But I'm not sure how much difference +2 strength really makes to my gazer's attack; no more can I quantify how much the +2 strength boosts my PC's attack. It would simply be too boring to do a proper controlled trial.

Thanks anyway.
Luckily, we have had many tech-geeks before you do this boring stuff for us.
+2 strenght means another two levels of damage in combat, and another 10% to hit in melee. What's a level? Check your gameguide, where it lists spells. A gaxer uses Kill, if I am not mistaken, so another level would mean..2-16 extra damage, I think.
For your Guardian, it would depend on what level the Guardian Glaymore has. I don't know this, but he will have an icnreased 10% chance to hit, and the damage increase is sizeable still.
Not to mention that it helps carrying around stuff, resist stun, an d the Quick Action is nice too.
Really, in G2, no other weapon can touch it. In G3, all melee weapons blow, and yet this one still comes up on top.

For a Shaper, the Claymore it's definitly the best.

For a Guardian, like me, using the Claymore is better for the bonuses: the damage can be improved with a gold crystal, if you want.

This indecision remember my indecision when I changed my Puresteel plate with the Crystalline Shourd: the Shourd don't have much defense like the Puresteel, but it's better anyway. Trust me.

For a Guardian, you should use Emerald Chestguard. Provides better defence and higher damage in combat. Crystaline Shroud is only for Shapers.

Using melee weapons as a Guardian in G3 is really though. An example is the Guardian Claymore doing 10-80 damage in G2, and 10-40 in G3. That's half the damage.

Wands, crystals and javelines, however, have an increased usefulness. Playing a "Hunter Guardian" is both challenging and fun, and deals out more damage than melee weapons compared to the investment in skillpoints.

Quote:
Originally written by Micawber:
An oozing blade is not very useful against rotghroths, and anyway I never found one in GF2.
Right, worthless against rotghroths, which had an acid resistance of 80%. In this game few foes have an acid resistance over 20%, while most top monsters(drakons, golems, rotghroths) have a physical resistance of 50%. Unfortunately the flame blade and froze blade doen't work (only do physical damage), or even if they do as much as a stick (1d4), will be the best weapon against rotghroths. No oozing blade nor need one in gf2, for there is no significiant resistance in gf2.

The Guardian Claymore is better. Because it's called the Guardian Claymore. And that sounds cool.

... It depends. If you tend toward really heavy armor (-2 to hit points for just a Steel Breastplate) you need the Claymore's strength advantage to avoid becoming encumbered, and its quick action bonus offsets the fact that it doesn't do as much damage. If you're a guardian, take the Claymore and buy a lot of cheap quick action. If you're an Agent, there's less of an advantage, but the Claymore might still be preferable.

I'll add my vote to the Guardian claymore.

As to why (in Geneforge 2):

Puresteel is 13-104, or 1-8 * (13+strength+melee)

Guardian claymore is 10-80, or 1-8 * (10+strength+melee).

Also +2 strength, +2 quick action, +2 creation strength

In effect the choice is 1-8 more damage versus carry weight, QA, creation str.

Note that +2 creation strength adds +10% to the chance to hit of creations melee and ranged attacks. I doubt dex has an effect of this, despite the in-game documentation.

• 6 years later...

I know this is a really old thread, but I think it's important to add that later investigations found that Geneforge 1-4 have a bug where items that should provide a bonus to creation strength actually don't. This tilts the argument in favour of the puresteel blade.

Seriously? As in the bonus doesn't actually apply? Because it the stats do visibly increase...

The stats visibly increase. However, they don't offer the bonus to hit and damage that the increase in strength should. Bonuses to intelligence, dexterity and endurance work fine.

To get the puresteel soulblade, you *have* to be a Taker. You get it from a dialogue option with an Eyebeast in the Taker research labs.

Fascinating! That's an odd bug, but certainly helpful to know about. Thanks for the info! This (that the strength bonus doesn't have an effect) is true of ALL items like the claymore that purport to boost creation strength in G1-4 (e.g. various belts)?

Yes, the bug applies to all items that purport to boost creation strength.

Avatar Bodok, I realize that the time stamps on the posts don't stand out very well, but if you read the recent additions you would have seen this:

I know this is a really old thread' date='[/quote']

That should have been a clue. Micawber asked that question 7 years ago. I doubt he's still waiting for an answer. ^_^