TheKian's Geneforge 4 Artifact Weapons Mod

Greetings, my fine fellows. Today I have a glorious modification to Geneforge 4 for you all, one that shall make using characters of any class far more enjoyable/doable.

The Geneforge 4 Artifact Weapons mod!

This mod adds a total of 16 brand new, powerful craftable(ish) weapons. You will obtain two of the basic weapons from this mod (perfected baton, supercharged wand) as a guaranteed result from certain quests: the former from completing the Shaila quest (received from Greta), and the latter from the caravan quest (either from Pirik if you helped it, or from Alwan if you destroyed it). To craft the more powerful versions of these weapons, you will need to find their recipes, scattered around the first three chapters of Geneforge 4. Once you have the materials needed and have discovered the recipe, you must go to a sufficiently skilled crafter with whom you are aligned (see list below) to create the items.

I have tested it to make sure it works, but I have not extensively tested it. Please inform me of any problems in it.

Installation:

Spoiler

Download the mod zip file. Open it, and extract the "Data" folder into your Geneforge 4 root folder (it should just be called "Geneforge 4"). Accept any prompts to overwrite files. It should now be installed.

As with any mod, MAKE SURE to backup your game files before installing. I take no responsibility for any damage which may result from installing this mod.

Weapons:

Spoiler

Ranged weapons: These batons are based on the Geneforge 5 artifact batons mod by Gameman. So... eh... kudos to him for the basis for it.

Perfected Baton: A more powerful thorn baton with unlimited shots. It gives you +1 to your missile weapons skill.

Berserker Baton: A devastating baton with thorns approximately the same as submission thorns. This baton gives +2 to action points, +2 to dexterity, and +3 to missile weapons, but -5% to armor. It is best for recklessly disabling enemies with ranged stunning attacks while disregarding survivability.

Runewarded Baton: A specialized baton with dazing thorns. A hit with a thorn will have an excellent chance to daze enemies who are susceptible. The baton also increases resistance to magical manners of attack, giving the wielder +20% energy resistance and +20% mental resistance, in addition to +2 missile weapons and +20% mental resistance for creations.

Shielding Baton: A powerful baton that fires reapers. It is a pure and simple defense and offense weapon, giving +15% armor, +4 to missile weapons, and +6 levels of damage in combat.

Charged Baton: An extremely powerful damaging baton that fires charged thorns, thorns that do extremely heavy damage and apply a lightning aura effect on hit. It gives +1 to blessing magic and +3 to missile weapons, allowing its user to further enhance its damage output. Note: in the readme, it says that it gives +1 to spellcraft, which is wrong.

Commander's Baton: A less powerful offensive baton that fires acid thorns. The creation stat bonuses in the readme are also wrong (whoops). It gives +5% armor, +3 to missile weapons, +4 to healing craft, +2 to creation strength and +1 to creation dexterity. It is an excellent weapon for Shaping-heavy classes, like shock troopers and Lifecrafters, and its augmentations to healing craft allow its wielder to increase his creations' longevity.

Immortal's Baton: An insanely overpowered defensive baton which fires reapers. This baton gives heavy defensive stat bonuses, with +15% armor, +5 to luck, +50 damage shield, +3 endurance, and +3 creation endurance, as well as a standard +3 missile weapons skill boost. It can only be obtained in the late game (Burwood Province).

Melee weapons: These are  four powerful swords, each with special damaging factors.

Perfected blade: A powerful version of the Shaped sword, with superior damage and +2 to melee weapons and quick action.

Death's Grip: An artifact sword. It does heavy cold damage (about as much as the perfected blade), and inflicts a powerful terror effect on hit. It gives +2 strength and +2 blessing magic, allowing its wielder to further enhance its damage output.

Blade of Angels: A flaming artifact sword. It does a good deal of fire damage and inflicts the lightning aura effect on enemies when it hits. It gives +4 to melee weapons and +2 to quick action, and its fiery nature offers 35% fire resistance in protection against flame.

Master's Blade: An artifact sword. It has the highest base damage output of any sword, and inflicts a stunning effect on hit. It gives +4 to melee weapons, parry, and quick action. In terms of raw damage, this is the most powerful sword that can be obtained, and is so obtainable only in the late game (Burwood Province).

Magical weapons: A fairly different concept in a mod, these are five wands with unlimited charges.

Supercharged wand: A deadly wand with unlimited charges that casts the searer spell. It grants its user +2 to spellcraft.

Wand of Orbs: A less than powerful wand, this casts essence orbs, a useful utility spell. It only gives its wielder +2 to spellcraft.

Lancing Wand: A powerful anti-group wand, this wand fires up to 3 powerful plasma lances at enemies, each of which does comparable damage to a kill spell. It grants its user +2 to spellcraft and +3 to battle magic.

Immolation Wand: An extremely potent weapon, this wand casts a modified version of essence lances similar to the breath attack of an Unbound. It grants its user +2 to spellcraft, +4 to battle magic, and +2 to fire shaping, making it an excellent wand for a support Lifecrafter.

Apocalypse Wand: An incredibly powerful wand. This wand casts aura of flames, though much weaker than a version actually cast by a player. It makes the player extraordinarily magically powerful, granting a whopping +5 spellcraft and +5 battle magic. Being so powerful, it is only obtainable in the late game (Burwood Province).

Recipes:

Spoiler

Items will only show up in a list of available items for a given crafter if you have all the necessary materials AND sufficient gold.

Perfected baton: Thorn baton, purifying elixir. Crafting costs 250 gold.

Runewarded baton: Perfected baton, ivory skull, runed onyx (Recipes.txt in the zip isn't entirely accurate). Crafting costs 500 gold.

In-game recipe location: Crenshaw's Dell

Berserker baton: Perfected baton, runed ruby, tiny orb of mist. Crafting costs 500 gold.

In-game recipe location: Therile Colony (Dumping Pit quest reward)

Shielding Baton: Perfected thorn baton, ethereal bindings, blessing crystal, steel spines. Crafting costs 750 gold.

In-game recipe location: West Barrier Zone

Charged Baton: Perfected thorn baton, ethereal bindings, runed onyx. Crafting costs 750 gold.

In-game recipe location: Uchitelle's Grove (Enchanted anvil quest reward)

Commander's Baton: Perfected thorn baton, blessing crystal, runed onyx, runed ruby. Crafting costs 1000 gold.

In-game recipe location: North Grosch

Immortal's Baton: Perfected thorn baton, golden crystal, runed onyx, ethereal bindings. Crafting costs 1500 gold.

In-game recipe location: Monarch's Realm

Perfected Blade: Shaped sword, purifying elixir. Crafting costs 500 gold.

Death's Grip: Perfected blade, runed onyx, charging stone, ethereal bindings. Crafting costs 1000 gold.

In-game recipe location: Dumping Pit

Blade of Angels: Flaming sword, runed ruby, runed onyx, ethereal bindings. Crafting costs 1000 gold

In-game recipe location: Sandros Mine

Master's Blade: Perfected blade, steel spines, golden crystal . Crafting costs 1000 gold.

In-game recipe location: Shaftoe's Bunker

Supercharged Wand: Fiery wand, blessing crystal, runed onyx, charging stone. Crafting costs 250 gold.

Wand of Orbs: Supercharged wand, runed onyx. Crafting costs 500 gold.

Lancing Wand: Supercharged wand, blessing crystal, runed ruby, runed onyx. Crafting costs 500 gold.

In-game recipe location: Shardfield

Immolation Wand: Lancing wand, runed ruby, golden crystal, ethereal bindings. Crafting costs 1000 gold.

In-game recipe location: Purity Workshop A

Apocalyse Wand: Lancing wand, torrent gem, runed onyx, charging stone, ethereal bindings, golden crystal. Costs 2000 gold.

In-game recipe location: Wrecked Lab

Crafters:

Spoiler

Early game: Gibbons (Rebels, Illya Safehouse) and Shaper Duncan (Shapers, Rivergate Keep)

They can craft:

Perfected baton

Runewarded baton

Berserker baton

Supercharged wand

Wand of Orbs

Lancing wand

Perfected blade

Death's Grip

Middle game: Jared (Rebels, Azirpah Rebel Camp) and Shaper Danell (Shapers, Azirpah Camp Gamma)

They can craft all previous items, plus:

Shielding baton

Charged baton

Immolation wand

Blade of Angels

Late game: Mage Manohla (Rebels, Derenton Freehold) and Shaper Grim (Shapers, Porphyra Ruins)

They can craft all items.

Download.

Nice!

If I may ask, the recipes work similar to my warrior mod, you have to find them for the option to come up, or, similar to Gamerman's mod, you just need to find them to figure the items needed etc and if you find them (or if they're in the spoilers or somewhere else) you can have the items crafted as soon as you show up?

Edited by alhoon

The recipes work in the same manner as in your mod. You must locate them in-game to actually use them. I have made sure that you can obtain all recipes unless you do something entirely stupid (like attacking Uchitelle, for example), and that you can craft items regardless of faction. You may need to be slightly pro-Shaper or pro-rebel to actually craft them, however (otherwise neither side will help you), so total fence-sitting that ends up with you staying around 100 reputation will block you off from higher-level crafting unless you have really high leadership.

Nice! I'm looking at the weapons' stats and what you need to do to get them right now. I don't play GF4 (runs very poorly on my computer), but you've got some great stuff here!

1. Let me say that your artifact weapons have very awesome names! Death's Grip, Blade of Angels, Master's Blade, Runewarded Baton, etc. They all sound awesome!

2. You've got some great ideas for weapons that didn't quite occur to me before. Dazing thorns, terror-inflicting swords, etc. And wands with unlimited uses! That's pretty great for those classes that are poor in magic.

This definitely helps classes that are a bit more combat reliant and magic poor (Warrior, Shock Trooper) to keep up with other classes. To my knowledge, Shock Trooper and Warrior were the worst classes simply because they weren't particularly strong. I imagine this mod would help greatly with that issue. :) 

1 hour ago, Gameman112358 said:

2. You've got some great ideas for weapons that didn't quite occur to me before. Dazing thorns, terror-inflicting swords, etc. And wands with unlimited uses! That's pretty great for those classes that are poor in magic.

See, the daze/terror attacks work well in Geneforge 4 because, even fairly late into the game, enemies aren't particularly strong. However, in Geneforge 5, enemies get tough super fast. That's why your slowing/cursing batons work much better in G5.