Avadon 2 Character Editor

Jerakeen

WARNING: Installing this editor involves modifying your game files. Even if you only install it and never actively use it, your game may change in ways you don't expect or want. This editor is not made or supported by Spiderweb Software. Install at your own risk.

Well, here it is, a character editor for Avadon 2.

It's more streamlined than the Ava1 deluxe version, but I think I covered all the essentials. I did not include custom items this time, because there are tons of artifacts in the game already.

Download here: Avadon 2 Character Editor

As always, use it at your own risk; Spiderweb Software does not support modding. Always make back-up copies of files before replacing or altering them in any way.

To install:

Mac: Next, right-click on the Avadon 2 icon and select "Show Package Contents". Open the Contents folder. First, make a back-up copy of the whole Resources folder, and then drag and drop the new file(s) from the editor folder into the original resources folder.

Windows: Next, open the Avadon 2 Files folder. First, make a back-up copy of the whole Scripts folder, and then drag and drop the new file(s) from the editor folder into the original scripts folder. (Avadon 2 should be located in the Spiderweb Software folder, which should be in Program Files.)

To access the editor, click on the signpost near the southern exit from the Ravaged Woods — that's the zone you started the game in.

This has been tested by nobody but me, so if you have any issues with it, post here.

Edited by Lilith
added warning

• 2 weeks later...

Uhhh, no, I've never had any trouble duplicating a file on a Mac. If right-click and "duplicate" doesn't work, then I have no idea. But you can always download the demo from Spiderweb, scoop out the Resources folder, and delete the rest.

But if your Mac won't even let you duplicate anything in the Avadon folder, will it let you replace a file?

I'll try anyway, thanks. Maybe is the App Store that blocked changes not the Mac, I can't say. Or maybe it is because I have a second user and the rights are mixed up. Puzzling.

Ok, thanks, it worked. Had to authorize here and there, copy the folder from a second Avadon install, move original Resources folder to the trash bin, bit complicated but it worked.

I read you pay attention to not overpowering SW hits, this is good because I had some difficulties with power in Avadon 1, as you may remember we talked about it once or two.

Simply the hit was so powerful that the character didn't strike at all.

On my way to test the editor on Alcander's quest, want to try fight all of the constructs there :)

I noticed something using the editor that might interest you. End game in Fort Foresight, the companions left for underground. I remind I left behind Valera's fight so I reach northern area border to exit but, as I expected from Avadon 1, this is not possible. Went back to the Fort fighting the Tawons and at this point I noticed all editor (full, 90%) protections vanished. The SW is still strong and attack features are all there, but editor protection is not working. Hope this report would help.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to change the bonuses already obtained with the Editor, to do this I retrained all characters to bring them back to original stats, and after this I tried to take the bonuses, but the editor was out of options (this is the same as in Avadon 1 editor), only I don't understand the "you have to respec" sentence, what do I need to do?

I went to change the bonuses already obtained with the Editor, to do this I retrained all characters to bring them back to original stats, and after this I tried to take the bonuses, but the editor was out of options (this is the same as in Avadon 1 editor), only I don't understand the "you have to respec" sentence, what do I need to do?

If you retrained using the in-game retrainer, or using the "retrain" cheat, that would not reset the editor flags, which means basically that the editor doesn't "know" you've retrained.

Respec is just another word for retrain, but you have to do it with the editor to bring your options back. Select the option "I want to respec my characters", then pick "All I'm asking is for a little respec (yes)". This will have the same effect as the "retrain" cheat, but it will also reset the editor flags, allowing you to use it again to the fullest if you wish.

• 9 months later...

I am curious is it possible to simply gain more skill points to distribute manually? I am trying to add more points as if I am leveling normally in the later stage of the game where I would have acheived most likely 3 to 4 levels beyond 30.

thanks again!

Not as far as I'm aware. The retraining function probably relies on assumptions about stat and skill points being linked strictly to your level in order to work properly, so I doubt the functionality to permanently alter stat or skill points independently of level was included in Avadon.

I searched the for an item or ability that would function like an Avernum-style wisdom crystal - that is, just give more skill points - but it hasn't been defined in the scripts, so it doesn't exist in the game. Unfortunately. But I can see why Jeff didn't include it; skill points are worth a lot more with the skill tree.

• 3 years later...
On 12/6/2013 at 12:28 AM, Jerakeen said:

WARNING: Installing this editor involves modifying your game files. Even if you only install it and never actively use it, your game may change in ways you don't expect or want. This editor is not made or supported by Spiderweb Software. Install at your own risk.

Well, here it is, a character editor for Avadon 2.

It's more streamlined than the Ava1 deluxe version, but I think I covered all the essentials. I did not include custom items this time, because there are tons of artifacts in the game already.

Download here: Avadon 2 Character Editor

As always, use it at your own risk; Spiderweb Software does not support modding. Always make back-up copies of files before replacing or altering them in any way.

To install:

Mac: Next, right-click on the Avadon 2 icon and select "Show Package Contents". Open the Contents folder. First, make a back-up copy of the whole Resources folder, and then drag and drop the new file(s) from the editor folder into the original resources folder.

Windows: Next, open the Avadon 2 Files folder. First, make a back-up copy of the whole Scripts folder, and then drag and drop the new file(s) from the editor folder into the original scripts folder. (Avadon 2 should be located in the Spiderweb Software folder, which should be in Program Files.)

To access the editor, click on the signpost near the southern exit from the Ravaged Woods — that's the zone you started the game in.

This has been tested by nobody but me, so if you have any issues with it, post here.

Any clue why? Or how it can be overcome?

• 1 year later...

Hi, I know, it's years I do not write here 🙂
I used to be a frequent user of the forum.
This days I opened Avadon2  and I could not remember which mod I have on, I presume it is not the one that gives incredibly good weapons at comand but the one to modify characters stats.
Only, I can't remember what it does and, above all, how to launch/turn it on/operate it.
Any suggestion on where to start?
Thanks a lot!

Edited by Superba

Hello Superba,

If you think you might have installed this particular mod, but are unsure, probably the best thing to do would be to try and see if you can get the mod to activate in-game. Thankfully, this mod is centred around one particular encounter, so all you'll need to do is to go there and check! Here's a comment from the original post:

On 12/6/2013 at 5:28 AM, Jerakeen said:

Using either a new game, or an old saved game, go and click on this sign. If it just appears to be a sign, then your game is clean! However, if you see additional dialogues, you should have the mod installed.

Probably the most interesting way to find out what this mod does would be to do some experimenting! If you have the mod installed, have a click through the dialogue options and see what it can offer you. Each of these options will probably come with a description of its function – Jerakeen is an experienced modder, so I'm sure they will have made made everything clear!