Tips for Tower of Trials?

Vee

Does anyone have some tips on beating the Tower of Trials on normal difficulty? I am running a Sorceress who is now at level 23 and I have retraining available. When I last attempted the tower, I believe my MC was around level 18. I ran out of time (not having the ability to summon any help) by chewing through my supply of low level healing potions.

It seems like the goal on the first floor is to winch up the gate, but obviously I'm not 100% certain on that. A casual search of the forum only yielded an incidental discussion of the Trials, so here's to hoping others who have completed the Trials remember what they did.

On a final note, it seems like playing as a Tinkermage would make at least the first floor fairly easy. It would be nice if everyone could summon 2 pets (through wands, beast call, w/e) like the t-mage.

I did it on normal, but with a Tinkermage. I dropped a healing pylon and a iceblast pylon and used melee attacks. The key is to kill all of the opponents in a short time. I was around level 17 for floor one, and it is probably easier for a Tinkermage than a Sorcerer. You definately want to take advantage of the Sorcerers Area of Effect spells to inflict as much damage on as many enemies in as short a time as possible. I attempted the second floor right after the first floor, but was not able to dish out enough damage before time ran out. I did it again a few levels later.

I managed to get through the first floor with a liberal application of battle frenzy, but so far, the 2nd floor is proving a bit recalcitrant. I get down to the final enemy and run out of time. I've been using the major ally scarab, speed burst scroll, blessing crystal combo. It may just come down to tinkering with the items (but I'm so stingy I hate using them).

ETA

I actually managed to finish it just in time. For future Sorc-players, here is what I did (lacking, as I do, some AoE damage spells):

I came up with a full wand of ice, a wand of calling, blessing crystals, potions of battle, spell burst scrolls, lightning scrolls (bring a better wand--these suck by the time you're likely ready for the trials), and charm scrolls. I also had a scarab of healing and a scarab of summoning, plus an offensive (acid) scarab. (Note: none of the enemies seem immune to any type of damage I could test--excluding the Shaman's energy attack, which I couldn't test.)

On floor one, I summoned a major ally and used the a-ability to hide (mainly for the reflection and blade shield). Then I dropped a battle frenzy scroll to pump up my beast and myself, followed by an Arcane Blessing AoE to reduce the damage dealt by the two shaman-type simulacra. I think that the deep woods widow or infernal bat are the best for the tower--not that you really get a choice, but their AoEs (the bat's charges quite frequently) and the spider's chance to land corruption are handy. The lizard is markedly less useful in the Trials, even with its apparently enhanced durability. Chances are that your beasts will automatically desummon before being killed (at least if you use arcane blessing AoE or a blessing crystal). Dropping AoEs like it's going out of style is paramount. Use your offensive items + AoEs to weaken the foes. Most of the simulacra should concentrate on the monster summon, even if you have never added a 2nd rank to the hide skill (I sure haven't). Your MC will still be mobbed and struck with shaman spells, but the hide skill will help deal some damage back to your foes. Just concentrate on murdering as quickly as possible. Expect to drop a haste spell (if you've got the blessing) or another battle frenzy scroll once yours runs out. Time is of the essence. You may need to use your heal self-skill or a low potion here. Luck plays a part: criticals and enemy positioning are important in making sure you are able to dish out enough damage to kill the simulacra before the time limit expires.

On floor two, I chugged a potion of battle and again summoned a major ally but did not hide. Your MC may actually avoid ever being struck if you make use of your charm spells and scrolls, as the enemy AI seems to prioritize these traitors over your party (for the most part--and I think that is an oddity, given that as a player, if I can't un-charm my allies, I move my party away until charm expires in order to mitigate damage--maybe this changes in higher difficulties). Enemies on this level do not immediately appear, so you have time to drop a blessing crystal and a speed burst scroll to boost you and your beast. Use the pet to scout out the lower doorway, where you'll find a pack of melee only simulacra. Once all the enemies roll out, charm one from each group and let them cluster. Repeat your offensive item + AoE pattern. A single target ice spell can be very handy to finish off foes weakened by their charmed companions. Make sure to keep at least one enemy from each group charmed. I found charming 2 out of 3 titans to be extremely useful. Don't neglect your ally's special abilities, either. Make sure to use their AoEs if they have 'em, and pray that if you're using the widow, she lands a stack of corruption on the simulacra. As always, try to keep frenzy and/or haste up to make sure your damage per round is sufficient. I was able to eke out a victory in time using this strategy and did not take even a dot of damage.

Edited by Vee

I just got through this last night with my blademaster (on casual, I like laid back gaming). I can't remember exactly how I did it, but the green potions (rejuvenation? renewal? whatever they're called), a wand of corruption or two, a wand of calling, battle frenzy, berserker slash and sharpshooter spray are a blademaster's best friends.

Basically, stock up on AoE wands and scrolls, and if you're not playing a shaman or tinkermage you will for sure want a wand of calling. (You might want one even if you are playing one of those classes... extra summoned companions never hurt anyone except your enemies.)

I did both levels on Normal with a level 11 dex-based Tinkermage. Her skills are built to the left, so she has access to shrapnel grenade and yankshot, but she's wearing the Fancy Toolbelt, so she can make all the basic turrets. She is also equipped with the frost-rimed and pulsating scarabs, for Cone of Ice and Earthshatter. I do not have access to any summoning items yet.

I invested in some fine chainmail and a deep runestone, but as it turned out that probably wasn't necessary. Between the two fights, I used up most of a wand of ice and a wand of corruption, two potions of battle, and an assault crystal. Did not need any healing or speed items. For each fight, I set up one freezing and one snare turret, and used Charge Turrets. I used yankshot once, shrapnel grenade and Cone of Ice twice each, and Earthshatter not at all.

Important to note that I placed my turrets fairly close together and let the mobs come to me. I only got hit a few times, and it was all over surprisingly quickly. Not what I expected after my first disastrous attempt with a right-branch Tinkermage. Poor Cal almost soiled her greaves when she saw those wax titans, but they went down like chumps.

Left branch may be sub-optimal, but it sure is fun.

Bring wands and lightning scrolls if you have a high dexterity to make them more effective. The problem for all classes is to do damage quickly and to as many targets per attack. So you want to use a potion to gain action points and then do two area attacks and the last action is to heal or do a attack with scarab or weapon.