Is this a possible G1 Strategy?

Cmiller

Hello Spiderweb Software fans :),

I decided i would like to replay good old fashioned Geneforge 1. And i was wondering if this following strategy will work, or if it will get me killed constantly. I will be play on torment as a Shaper.

My main character development will involve the use of Magic Shaping, Fire Shaping, Blessing magic, and a little battle magic like searing orbs and firebolt. Early in the game I'll do the usual a somewhat large army of Feoras, then later Cryoas. Then I'll follow those up with Drayks. However, I'm wondering if its possible to obsolete my use of mental magic with Terror Vlish, thus saving me a lot of skill points which i could spend in other areas like spellcraft to increase the power of searing orbs and the effect of my healing spell and make my buffs last a long time. And even use some spare skill points in primary stats of intelligence which could get me an extra cyrodrayk or two late in the game.

However, with this game being in Torment is there any other advice you guys can give me so that I won't screw up big time and either lower the difficulty, cheat, or even restart. You get the idea.

I personally have never played a Spiderweb Software game on Torment. Any help would be great. I know the tricks about using the Terrain to my advantage and saving a lot, and returning back to town when need be. I'd just like some advice with how I can manupulate every trick of the trade. And will the strategy i mentioned above work. It'd be a bonus if an experienced player could add onto my strategy, and hopefully improve it before i play.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Cmiller

It's not the greatest of ideas to totally ignore the the mental magic skill, Unlock is always pretty useful and will enable you to make do with lesser investment in mechanics, dominate can also help a lot in the tougher fights, actually if you have to ignore one magic skill, you can very well just ignore battle magic , A shaper's creations are/should always be good enough for damage, the shaper should just concentrate on weakening the enemies and keeping his creations nicely buffed and healed. All said and done , you can certainly complete the game with your party build as well, it's decent enough. The selection of creations is fine although mix and match always tends to be a bit better strategy so maybe get the pack of fyoras and back them up with an Artilla or maybe a roamer, or even a thahd and continue that way.

I have no torment experience, but I can offer general G1 advice that should have some applicability.

I think your biggest problem is spreading yourself too thin. Mental Magic is not so powerful in G1 as it became in later games. Playing as a Shaper, I'd say your best bet is to choose one type of creature Shaping, and basically max it out. I don't recall the exact details, but G1 really rewards you for pumping a shaping skill like crazy, and then absorbing and re-creating your creations each time with the higher level of skill. Either Fire or Magic can work, though Fire is probably a little better - you can use Drayks for fire damage and Cryodrayks for cold damage. Still, a hoard of Vlish can be beastly too. Besides choosing a shaping skill, you'll want oodles of Intelligence for essence, a little blessing magic and a little healing craft (just enough to cast your spells), plus plenty of Leadership and Mechanics, because those are awesome.

Now, your proposed build with two types of shaping, plus trying invest in a couple types of spellcasting...well, it might work, but it's certainly not optimal. Just an FYI. Whatever you do, have fun!

I hope this helps!

Ignore battle magic, which is really a bad idea. You will not do it well even with moderate skill points investment. Instead, attacking youself will put your shaper into danger, which is the last thing you want to see in torment.

Invest in magic shaping or fire shaping, but not both. Aim at 20 or so. I think magic shaping is the better choice, vlishes are clearly the most cost effective creations, and magic shaping is cheaper, and you can get vlishes early. Drayks are in a sense slightly more powerful but cost much more.

you can use Drayks for fire damage and Cryodrayks for cold damage.

Damage types means little in GF1 and GF2.

Okay so far I have just reached pentil. Following some advice I have around 6 points in Fire Shaping, none put into battle magic, 3 blessing magic, thinking about putting some points into mental soon. I also have 7 leadership (1 point came from a canister in Jaffee's lab). All of this was done on torment too. I'm doing alright for now, still concerned about how it will go in the late game scenes. I'll update you guys if I have any issues or difficulties. Thanks for the advice.

Yes, and a question about leadership. Because I'm powergaming, I don't want to kill any of the servile leaders so I can get as much endings as possibly can. But at the same time I want to join all servile sects to get all the benefits. (most importantly the Taker amulet) I am right now part of the Awakened. To join the Takers (which I'll be doing soon enough) I need to kill Ellrah. How much leadership do I need to skip this quest?

Another question to ponder. What is the best crucial moment in the game that I can save in, so that I can get every ending in the game?

After finally getting through the mines I made my way toward Flig in the winding Road killing rogues in the Arena and some-what difficult (not really) sholai. Then bought my mechanics to 10, which with the Tinker gloves I got from the mines, makes it 10 overall. The mechanics issue was finally resolved. That was when I went to the power station and power core for azzo's quest (mainly to get it out of the way, i hate those levels). After those annoying parts were finished I took advantage of my high mechanics and went through the Ancient Crypt and made my way to Drayks Vale to get the rest of my leadership from Learned Halm (not to mention the leadership from the 'Girdle of leadership.'). And made some hefty amount of coins from Rakkus and the Emeralds in the pillars. After ALL of this work was done, I was finally ready to milk the Sects of their benefits.

However, when I turned my back on the Takers kazg is now hostile on me. Is this going to effect the ending of the game? Or is it not effected until I kill Gnorrel? Also I'm hoping my question, about when would be the best crucial point to save my game to get the benefit of all endings will be answered.

I believe this game is going to turn out just fine. I didn't think I'd do this good considering it was on torment. But by trying it i discovered it wasn't that bad after all ^_^

Thanks everyone for your advice,

Cmiller

However, when I turned my back on the Takers kazg is now hostile on me. Is this going to effect the ending of the game? Or is it not effected until I kill Gnorrel? Also I'm hoping my question, about when would be the best crucial point to save my game to get the benefit of all endings will be answered.

Can someone answer these questions too... :confused:

I'm pretty sure that just making the Takers hostile won't change your ending - killing them would.

I have no idea on the answer to your second question, but I can brainstorm. Since you've made the Takers hostile, you've already passed a point of no return in terms of trying all endings - you can't join them any more. Joining the servile factions affects endings (and as long as you don't make them hostile, you can use Learned Darian to change your reputation); I'm not sure where the to-join quests for the faction leaders fit into this. Helping Goettsch or Trajkov affects endings. Killing named characters may affect endings, but I'm pretty sure from the games I've finished that only Goettsch, Trajkov, and the faction leaders might matter. Destroying the Geneforge or not can affect the ending. Using the Geneforge affects the ending. I can't think of anything else right now.

So an ideal point would be with as much exploring as much as possible while not making any factions hostile, not burning any join-faction quests, not killing / making hostile named characters, and not using your Learned Darian reputation shift.

I hope that helps!

Thank you Triumph for the insight. I did not know joining the sects effects endings. In which case i suppose I failed on that part, since I milked every sect for their benefits. I'm part of the Obeyers now and will most likely stay there for the remainder of the game. Thankfully the last couple of times I played Geneforge I covered over half of the servile endings. I will just follow your advice, and I might save once I've met both Trajkov and Goettsch, and then start experimenting from there. Also, when I'm done experimenting I might even try the Shaper Crypt as I have never been there before :-).

Thanks very much,

Cmiller

P.S. This irrelevant, but I noticed that the times people have been posting (including me) in all the forums are like 6 hours off from my time zone. Is there a way I can change this, so I may have accurate information?

the times people have been posting (including me) in all the forums are like 6 hours off from my time zone. Is there a way I can change this, so I may have accurate information?

Yep. Click on your name in the top-right corner of this page and click 'My Settings'. The option to change the time zone is second in the list.