Geneforge 1 Character Improvement

I just finished off Avadon and have moved on to Geneforge, but I'm noticing it's a lot easier to get myself killed and overwhelmed in this game. I've also heard a few people hit brick walls with their character advancement because they didn't distribute their points properly. I'm only a couple hours into it, but I'd been getting 1-shot as a Shaper until I figured out to reabsorb my Fyora and recast it after putting some more points into Fire Shaping. Now I've got 7 in Fire Shaping, and I've got 3 Fyora running with me and we're slaughtering pretty good, but I'm worried that specializing so much is gonna bite me in the butt later. Aside from fire shaping, I've only put one point into intelligence, and nothing else so far. Without too many spoilers, please, I'd love some advice as to how to build an effective Shaper character. I intend to explore every area as thoroughly as I can manage, but I'd prefer not to have to grind against some kind of spawner for hours to get the xp necessary to survive.

The way shaping works in G1, it is VERY powerful to dump loads of points in one shaping skill (such as Fire Shaping) and every time you increase the skill, absorb and reshape your fire creations at higher and higher levels. You'll also need plenty of intelligence to have more essence to shape more creatures.

Other than those two skills, you will likely want some Leadership and Mechanics, and perhaps a bit of Blessing Magic to cast support spells for your creations.

The early part of G1 is tough regardless of how you build your character. If it gets too annoying, turn down the difficulty.

Other fire-shaping based creations (including the better version of the fyora) do other types of damage besides fire, and in a pinch all your creations can use melee attacks instead of their ranged attacks, so don't worry about enemy immunities.

Dikiyoba.

Should I be worried about Endurance, or will gaining a few more levels take care of my 1-hit to death problem? I've only got 15 hp so far, which means I die if something looks at me funny. It hasn't been too much trouble yet, since I just run away and let my mob of ridiculous Fyora kill things, but it'd be nice to have a chance to cast a heal spell when I'm wounded. That 5 skill point investment for each point of endurance seems really steep.

Fire Shaping will let you make, at first, Fyoras, but then later Cryoas (which have an ice attack). Later you'll get Drayks (which have both a ranged fire attack and a passable melee attack). Then you'll get Cryodrayks, which add ice attack. So even with only Fire Shaping skill, you'll be able to have a variety of attack types.

Oh, sniped by Diki. Re: Endurance, you probably don't need it - at least not right now. You are using the right tactics, hanging back and avoiding the fight (except for the occasional blessing or healing) while letting your creations carry the load. You may find it useful to invest in some Endurance eventually, but you're probably okay right now.

I don't recall the exact number of Mech and Lead you can need, but probably around 10 (or a little more) will get you through a good many challenges. There are trainers who can boost both, I believe, though they are hidden further into the game. It can be useful to build up a small store of extra skill points, so that when you hit a new challenge, you can boost whichever skill help you out.

I'm currently replaying Geneforge 1 as well, and I agree. There are far more ways to get 1-hit as a Shaper. The best way around this, I think, is to make sure you have a solid collection of creations to absorb hits for you. Also, avoid attacking enemies unless it's a killing blow, as they tend to go after whoever attacked them last.

The Deadweight Shaper is quite common with you providing blessings and letting the creations do all the work. With the right items you have very little need beyond a Shaping type, intelligence, leadership, and mechanics.

The real time outside of combat takes some getting use to since in the time you look away from the screen the rogue creations can close with you.

Magic shaping is a better choice for GF1 than fire shaping. Not only are magic creatures more essence effective than fire, magic shaping skill is cheaper.

I usually boost my magic shaping to level 20. A shaper with 20 magic shaping can make 7 artilas, haste them, and beat the game on torment. Regardless of you equipments or level.

• 3 weeks later...