Spiderweb Games on iPad

Motrax1978

Hi all,

I've read some topics about Spiderweb Games on iPhone/iPod/iPad. The general answer is that Jeff will not re-write his games for another platform with low prices.

Fine, but still I wanted to play some of the games again. The quality of the games on the iOS platform is... simplistic. But that comes with the price. But I did not want to play the Exile games on the pc again. For my work I normally sit too much behind the keyboard/mouse. In my own time I do not want to see the PC. But... I have an iPad for browsing and mail. And it has a decent resolution which fits the games of Spiderweb. Sounds like a match eh?

But it is not possible to install a Windows or Mac program as an app on the iPad! But... it is possible to use a remote desktop connection to the normal desktop where a Spiderweb game is running. Use either iTap (paid) / Mocha (free) for a remote desktop session. These two apps have a 'pointer' mode, where a tap on the iPad is a mouse click in Windows, instead of swiping all the time on the iPad to move the mouse pointer. Make sure that the resolution is set on 800x600 or 1024x768 and have fun playing.

Only draw back at this moment is that the keyboard is missing. I tried this with Avernum 5 demo and it is working fine as the gui has a lot of buttons to click on. It could be a problem with the older games as those depend more on keyboard commands. I am thinking of a bluetooth keyboard or at least a numeric pad for quickly moving the party around.

So... try ahead, play and see if we can get further with this with sharing tips and comments smile

Quick note, you can get a keyboard for the iPad. That should work for you. Also, with the new tablets (iPad competition) soon to be out running the windows 7 light edition, it might be able to install the games as a windows program. Pretty unsure about the Android (Honeycomb) based tablets though.

Makes sense about Jeff not wanting to pour his time into porting his games for an iDevice and selling for less. However I could maybe see something like the Orange Box of Jeff's games. All the ones of each genre ported by himself, a freelance coder, or a porting company. Even the outdated games that aren't making him money can slowly be ported over. I wouldn't know the vaguest inkling to how easy-difficult it could be. Or profitable. I like his games and would love to open up one of his RPGs whenever I'm on a lunchbreak, transit ride, or waiting room on a mobile device.