A few newbie questions about G1

Having just started Geneforge 1 a couple of days ago and for the first time braving the dangers of the Geneforge series (going to go through the series in order), I have a few newbie questions I hope you veterans can answer. I know there's a FAQ for G1, but FAQs are notorious for massive spoilers, which I hate, so I'm avoiding it.

My questions are:

- What's the quick save key? I've looked in the manual, but it says nothing of this (it only mentions ctrl+s, but that's the regular save). There's a slot for quick saves, so there must be a way of quick saving.

- Speaking of keys, I take it there's no way of remapping the keys or is there (didn't find anything even remotely hinting that way in the manual)? I would love to change the 'f' key for fight/combat mode to the space bar - easier to hit it when a horde of rogues is charging you. (Even better, I would love if the game would automatically pause/initiate combat mode when your character spots a hostile.)

- Out of curiosity, what's the average lenght of G1 playthrough (when being relatively thorough, but not compulsively so)? 20 hours? 40? More?

- Is there any way to check your reputation (standing) with the various factions? How clever is the game with tracking your actions, i.e. will it only matter what you say to the big honchos of each faction, but not what you say or do to the 'little people' (how very shaper of me to think that way... ;))? No spoilers please, just wondering about the intricacies of the system.

- It seems I'm no better off trying to gain experience to improve my older creations, when I can just create new and better ones with better skill. They seem to start off so much better and be cheaper to 'maintain' (essence-wise). Is this basically correct or am I misinterpreting things? The manual could have been a bit more verbose on creations, IMO.

Originally Posted By: WarHamster
What's the quick save key?
F10 to quick save. F9 to quick load.

I take it there's no way of remapping the keys[?]
Correct.

Out of curiosity, what's the average lenght of G1 playthrough (when being relatively thorough, but not compulsively so)?
Good question.

Is there any way to check your reputation (standing) with the various factions?
Clakkit in Vakkiri can give you an idea of what your reputation is. It's also worth noting that Learned Darian can help you greatly by instantly getting you in the good graces of whichever sect you desire to join, even if you are at the opposite end of opinion for that sect.

How clever is the game with tracking your actions, i.e. will it only matter what you say to the big honchos of each faction, but not what you say or do to the 'little people' (how very shaper of me to think that way... ;))?
In the later games there is the odd occasion that what you say will make no difference but these oversights are almost non-existent in GF1 IIRC. It is important to note that your opinions are weighted more highly when given to said head honchos.

It seems I'm no better off trying to gain experience to improve my older creations, when I can just create new and better ones with better skill. They seem to start off so much better and be cheaper to 'maintain' (essence-wise). Is this basically correct or am I misinterpreting things? The manual could have been a bit more verbose on creations, IMO.
Freshly created creations get statistics equal to their level. Levelled up creations get statistics equal to their level at creation plus half of the number of levels they've got under their belt. As such, a freshly made creation of higher level is nearly always superior to babysitting creations to high levels. (Note that this is only true in GF1, in GF2-5 creations' base statistics are always equal to half their level.)

Save your game, check your current creations statistics, absorb 'em, recreate 'em, compare the new to old and reload if necessary.