What exactly does the Luck stat do?

aapo

I'm surprised search returned nothing on this subject.

"How fortunate you are. Helps you in many ways. Also useful in some special encounters." - Eh? Has anyone figured out the specifics? Does it change something in story dialogue?

I'm going to play through the Geneforge series this summer. I'm in first game.

The G1 walkthrough by Matt P has a section on the different skills. Looking at the luck skill, I found this in it:

Quote:
Each point of luck increases

the chance to hit by 1%, and the chance to dodge by 1%. It may also

affects some resistances. Every 2 points of luck increases armor by 1,

and monsters may also drop items more frequently (both hints are from

Scales on the Spiderweb message boards).

Throughout the games I think there are few (very few) special situations where luck comes in handy, though I can't think of any right now. Wait, yes I can, but that is on G2, the golem bridge, I think you can get a lucky guess on the password with enough luck.

Quote:
and it definitely doesn't effect item drops.

The only drop I think it affects in G1 is the crescent stone drop.

Doesn't it also affect drops in G5? I think I also remember getting a higher chance of getting furs (fine furs with even higher luck) from enemies such as rats if you have very high luck in G4.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
I'm sure Slarty would facepalm anyone and everyone to death trying to affirm that Luck does not affect item drops. I've seen him say it lots of times in various games, after extensive investigations. Yet for some reason this heresy keeps arising. tongue

Slarty has facepalmed his way into our hearts tongue

Luck does *not* affect item drops at all in any of the later games. This definitely includes A4, A5, A6, G4, and G5, and I believe it includes G2 and G3 as well. This has been the conclusion of everyone who has done rigorous empirical testing, and it is also what Jeff stated to Randomizer in a recent email.

I am not sure about G1, though. I know that I -thought- it affected drops back when I played. I have not previously heard the statement that it affects the Crescent Stone drop but not other drops -- I thought it affected all of them.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
I have not previously heard the statement that it affects the Crescent Stone drop but not other drops -- I thought it affected all of them.

I'm fairly sure that there are just 2 crescent stones in the game, and they drop regardless of luck.

IIRC, one's in the Western Wastes and the other is in the zone with Heustess.