Windows 7 Compatibility

Visigoth

I'm trying to play Exile III on Windows 7 64-bit, but it won't let me run the file I download. I've tried running it in every single compatibility mode available and as an administrator and I keep getting error messages. Does anyone know how to play it? I love Exile III and it really sucks not being able to play it. =/

I think you'll need to run it in a virtual machine.

If you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, then you can install under Windows XP mode (I have tested Exile 3 in XP Mode and it works).

Otherwise, you can get another vm (e.g. Sun VirtualBox), and install an older windows (if you still have the disks) and run it under that.

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
Only problem with DosBox is that you need a copy of Windows 3.1.
No wonder I could never get it to work right. I just thought it had some sort of personal grudge against me. Besides, I never owned a copy of Windows 3.1, so in retrospect I couldn't use DosBox in the first place.

It's possible to find Win3.1 on the internet. I won't say any more than that.

Speaking of DOSBox, I got the games to work with Win3.1 under Boxer, which is a MacOSX "frontend" to DOSBox; I simply installed Windows as a "game", then moved the Exile games (pre-installed from my CD onto a Windows computer, then copied to my Mac) to where Windows would be able to find them. It was a little more complex than that in order to get 256 colours and sound, but not too much.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Originally Posted By: brumagem
Originally Posted By: Cryolemon
I've played Exile 2 on a Windows 7 PC (admittedly E2 was run from a flash drive, but that shouldn't make a difference).

Details, man! Tell me how!

Not much to say, except that the install folder was on a flash drive, and I ran it as an administrator.

• 2 weeks later...
So you downloaded and installed it onto a flash drive using a compatible computer? Was there anything special you'd done to the drive?

Nope,the drive was a normal (but quite old I admit) USB drive.

I have no idea what computer the game was downloaded on, I had it ages,presumably Windows XP though.

• 2 weeks later...
Soooo, does anyone know of a clean copy of XP or 95/8 for download anywhere?

Well, there's no legal places to find it on the Internet- Microsoft certainly doesn't release them. And I probably wouldn't trust any sort of torrent or illegal download site, either- too many things that could be wrong, plus I doubt install files for decades-old OS-es aren't exactly in demand. You might want to try hunting an original install cd/floppy on Ebay or something, or seeing if a friend kept his original discs. Beyond that, I have no idea.

Technically, since the software I'd be downloading would only be for personal use, I'd be breaking no copyright laws (in the US at least). It's only illegal for somebody who used the download for personal gain (like selling it, getting ad revenues, or using the software to produce a marketable product/service).

Still slim chances of finding somewhere clean though, so a disk would be my best option I guess.

That's not just a misunderstanding of copyright law; that's patently false. Software is covered by copyright like books are covered by copyright: because the point is to read the book or use the software, you need to legally acquire the text of the book or the executable software.

—Alorael, who has no idea how any company producing non-commercial software would ever stay in business if personal use weren't covered.

Originally Posted By: Until Morale Improves
—Alorael, who has no idea how any company producing non-commercial software would ever stay in business if personal use weren't covered.

I'd be willing to bet Autodesk could probably do it if they could find some way of insuring that companies still bought it and paid full price, but that's only because I'd be willing to be that there are only about a half-dozen private individuals in the world willing to shell out thousand(s) of dollars to obtain a software that they would otherwise not have access to, so they'd only be losing out on a tiny segment of their total revenue stream at any rate.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Soooo, does anyone know of a clean copy of XP or 95/8 for download anywhere?

Well, there's no legal places to find it on the Internet- Microsoft certainly doesn't release them. And I probably wouldn't trust any sort of torrent or illegal download site, either- too many things that could be wrong, plus I doubt install files for decades-old OS-es aren't exactly in demand. You might want to try hunting an original install cd/floppy on Ebay or something, or seeing if a friend kept his original discs. Beyond that, I have no idea.

Microsoft Technet, but it'll cost you a couple hundred bucks for access.

http://ow.ly/3lMzd

Technically, since the software I'd be downloading would only be for personal use, I'd be breaking no copyright laws (in the US at least). It's only illegal for somebody who used the download for personal gain (like selling it, getting ad revenues, or using the software to produce a marketable product/service).
Actually, the only legal way to obtain a copy of a non-freeware operating system is to buy a legal copy. Just about every other method that I'm aware is considered software piracy.

Quote:
Still slim chances of finding somewhere clean though
Good luck. I have yet to find such a download that's either legal or virus free.
Quote:
so a disk would be my best option I guess.
And probably your only option for obtaining a legal copy. Your best bet would be to buy a copy from an electronics store or (especially for Win98) either a garage sale or Ebay. You might be able to buy a copy directly from Microsoft, though I've never tried.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Actually, the only legal way to obtain a copy of a non-freeware operating system is to buy a legal copy. Just about every other method that I'm aware is considered software piracy.
And probably your only option for obtaining a legal copy. Your best bet would be to buy a copy from an electronics store or (especially for Win98) either a garage sale or Ebay. You might be able to buy a copy directly from Microsoft, though I've never tried.

I've given up looking for one, but downloading a piece of software from the internet for personal use is completely legal on your part. It's a different story for the person who is distributing it to thousands of others.

Pff, I'm my own lawyer.

The No Electronic Theft act and the Family Entertainment and Copyright Act only apply to those willfully reproducing a product or distributing it. Other than that, there is no violation of copyright. Lawmakers only go after those hosting guys because they're the root of a widespread and largely untraceable problem. They don't go after the ones simply possessing the stolen content because honestly, how do you get a warrant for that? Going after distributors is much more efficient.

They don't go after the ones simply possessing the stolen content because honestly, how do you get a warrant for that? Going after distributors is much more efficient.

That's not true, there was the story of the woman tried and sentenced to ~100k$ in damages for possessing illegally acquired music on her computer somewhere in the US. I'm not sure how it ended.

downloading a piece of software from the internet for personal use is completely legal on your part.
Yes, but only if the software is freeware, GNU GPL, trialware, or open source; or you paid for the full version, and it's only available via download.

If you're looking to download software and don't want to pay for it, stick with freeware, GNU GPL, and/or open source; from a legal standpoint, it'll be easier on you in the long run. Plus, there's a surprising number of good free programs available, so take your pick.

Uh... what? I've taken a look at No Electronic Theft and Artist's Rights and Theft Prevention Act. Both extend copyright protections. The former, specifically, extends them to non-financial copyright violations. Like downloading for personal use, for instance.

—Alorael, who would like you to cite your source. His understanding is that those acts make it more illegal to download, not less.

Originally Posted By: Notes on a Brief Uprising
Uh... what? I've taken a look at No Electronic Theft and Artist's Rights and Theft Prevention Act. Both extend copyright protections. The former, specifically, extends them to non-financial copyright violations. Like downloading for personal use, for instance.

—Alorael, who would like you to cite your source. His understanding is that those acts make it more illegal to download, not less.

Vexing. Our information directly conflicts. This requires further study.

Highline Community College custom edition Business Law textbook written by Beatty and Samuelson, published by Cengage Learning. Also the wisdom of Michael Armstrong, long time businessman and law professor at Highline Community College, who discussed this at length. You?

Originally Posted By: Erasmus
OK, found it:
this is why you should be careful when sharing files in the states:
first case
second case
They weren't brought up by the state but the fine is still a deterrent

Both cases are still in the process of appeals, and both were started not by downloading, but by re-uploading and sharing files, which is definitely illegal.

He did, and the result is Avernum. Jeff is unlikely to simply update code to keep it running for very old games; instead, he remakes and re-releases as he has with the Exile to Avernum switch and, with much smaller changes, from Nethergate to Nethergate: Resurrection.

—Alorael, who doubts even Avernum remakes will come immediately after Avadon.

Well, he could still do a remake of Blades of Exile and then maybe a remake of Nethergate.

-jecowa, who was trying to jest at the contrast between people struggling to get old Exile games running and people dreaming of the eventual remakes of the Avernum series.

Edit: Or maybe I was actually making fun of people for trying to get Exile to run after Jeff went through the trouble to remake those games, but that would be rude of me.

I just wanna play Exile! cry
Try one of the following:
  • VirtualBox (what I use) running a legal copy of WinXP
  • DosBox
  • If you have Win7 Pro, run it in Windows XP mode.
Originally Posted By: jecowa
Well, he could still do a remake of Blades of Exile and then maybe a remake of Nethergate.
Blades of Exile has already been remade into Blades of Avernum, and has since been released as open source (Blades of Exile, that is). Nethergate was remade into Nethergate:Resurrection a few years back, and probably won't have another remake for a while.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Try one of the following:
  • VirtualBox (what I use) running a legal copy of WinXP
  • DosBox
  • If you have Win7 Pro, run it in Windows XP mode.

I still need to find another version of windows for each of those, though. That's where all the copyright babble came from (because I don't wanna spend so much money just for compatibility issues).

Originally Posted By: Treddalske
You don't need Windows for DOSBox. You don't even need an old copy of DOS.

Really? But those guys said...*sigh* never mind. Which files do I download? Where do I go from there?

--Brumagem, who at this point is just about ready to throw caution to the wind and use freaking Limewire if it could help.

This took 5 hours to make. I'm not sure if it works on Windows 7, but I got it working on my XP box.

After you download and extract the files, run the "gtk+-2.10.13-setup.exe". It doesn't seem to matter where you install it.

Next launch "BasiliskIIGUI.exe". You should start out in the volumes tab. You will probably see a directory already listed called "E:\spiderweb emulation\BasiliskII_Spiders\basilisk-II.vol". Click on this volume and then click "Remove". Now click "Add". Select "basilisk-II.vol" and click "OK".

Now click over to the "Graphics/Sound" tab and make sure it is set to at least "Width: 640" and "Height: 480". Exile III will not run with less resolution than this.

Now click over to the "Memory/Misc" tab and make sure it has 32 MB of ram. I installed lots of extensions, and so it needs lots of ram to run.

You can click "Start" now. You will probably get a CD error or something. Click "OK". Mac OS 7.5.3 will hopefully launch successfully now.

After the desktop is loaded, click the colorful looking TV screen near the bottom-left side of the screen. Make sure it is set to "256 colors". Exile III will not run on more than 256 colors. If your graphics card doesn't support 256 colors, the game will not run. Thousands of colors will not work. Millions of colors will not work.

Double click on the "Games" folder on the Desktop. Play whichever game you like. They would all launch for me except for Nethergate. Oh, well. All the Exiles including Blades of Exile will launch for me, I haven't tried playing them, though. Let me know how it works out, please.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DUBI0410

Edit: Oh, by the way, this just has the demo versions of all the old software. I'm guessing there is a code or something you can put in, though.

Edit2: Also this isn't stealing Mac OS, because Apple is giving this away for free. In fact I downloaded this copy of Mac OS 7.5.3 from Apple's website. (From http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Sup..._Version_7.5.3/ You don't need to download this; I'm just linking to show that it's there.)