Porting to Exile Intel

Like many other things on classic, they have been lost when Apple started using Intel macs with Leopard. While this is very unlikely to happen, I've decided to broach the topic. Will Exile ever be ported to Intel? I know this might sound silly, but maybe they will become open-source, as it would be hard for Jeff to port them to Intel because he hasn't simply the time. It also might help popularize them with the newer comers, as they seem more into Geneforge, later Avernums, etc.

-ni.

Jeff may not even have the Exile source code anymore, and it is guaranteed to be an unholy mess. The game is the freshman effort of a self-admitted poor programmer.

—Alorael, who wonders why no one has taken the lucrative step of creating a Cider wrapper equivalent for running old Mac programs. Or at the very least a DOSBox-alike.

My trouble with Basilisk ][ is usually transferring the files to it; for some reason, it sometimes randomly ignores files on the Unix partition.

Though I haven't actually tried it yet with Exile. Or wait... if I have, it caused Basilisk to crash. Can't remember which.

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
It was mostly working, except that not all files would be listed.

If my disk drive lists most of my files, that doesn't mean it's mostly working. That means it's very broken!

I really think you are better off using a disk image. Much cleaner and less room for error.

My experience with using a folder on OS X as a server is that it works as long as you don't try to move or change files in any way while Basilisk II is running. Basically, it's a convenient way to transfer files from your computer onto your disk image, but all your actual work should be done on the disk image itself. Also, avoid using non-ASCII characters in filenames.

1. According to "About this computer", Mac OS 8.0.

2. Exile 2.0.1, Exile II 2.0.3, Exile III 1.0.3 (the ones that came on my CD)

3. Exile I plays the intro sound, but doesn't finish launching. The menus don't appear, and nor do the buttons. Much the same for Exile II. Exile III apparently doesn't have enough memory to run. (Though a quick investigation suggests that it actually does.)

Yes, I was running them in 256 colours.

As for the memory... it says it needs 3200K, but there's just a little less than that available... while "About this computer" says the largest unused block is 3.4MB.

It's not that there's not enough memory allocated in Get Info. It's that it seems to think there isn't as much memory available as is allocated in Get Info.

Now that you mention that, I feel like I ran into the exact same problem, with just E1 and E2, on the way to getting mine to work. I did fix it, but I can't remember how.

Ideas off the top of my head: 32-bit addressing in the OS 8 system control panel, trashing the E2 prefs file, opening under a different monitors setting and then changing it once open, using a separate disk image as a startup disk rather than the one with the games on it

Originally Posted By: Slartucker

32-bit addressing in the OS 8 system control panel,
No idea how this would be done.

trashing the E2 prefs file,
Will try.

opening under a different monitors setting and then changing it once open,
Not quite sure what you mean.

using a separate disk image as a startup disk rather than the one with the games on it
Will try.

EDIT: Well, trashing the prefs file and switching startup disks didn't seem to work... and now Exile 3 is having problems too; the cursor stops moving as soon as it starts up, and I can't dismiss the welcome dialog.

To explain better: try opening Exile 2 in 16 colors and then changing to 256 once it's open. Or maybe it was changing to Thousands, or opening in Thousands, or opening in 256... I forget what I did, but I think I ended up doing something like this. I'm not sure if that was what fixed the not-opening problem though.

More ideas:

- Try restarting (within OS 8) and holding down shift to disable extensions.

- Re the 32-bit question, just look around in the control panels. I think it's in the Memory panel.

What kind of ROM are you using with Basilisk ][?

Chubby Bunny is not the latest SheepShaver. You can get more recent builds from Emaculation. Chubby Bunny is more user-friendly and less installation and setup hairy, but it might be more prone to problems.

—Alorael, who hasn't had any luck getting Chubby Bunny to work, ever. On the other hand, he also has had very mixed success with do-it-himself Basilisk II or SheepShaver.

Originally Posted By: Drawn And
What kind of ROM are you using with Basilisk ][?
Well, it's called "QUAD650.ROM", and I assume that's a descriptive name... I have no idea what it means though.

Hmm... it seems the problem might be as a result of switching to 256 colours, since it froze when I tried to switch that manually. I'm going to try it without switching.

Oh, and there's no 32-bit option anywhere in the Memory control panel. Should I try enabling Virtual Memory?

EDIT: YAY!!! I reduced colours to thousands, and suddenly it works! At least, Exile 1 and 2 do. Not Exile 3 though. frown

Hooray! I was suspicious that was the problem.

Exile 3 was working before, wasn't it?

QUAD650 refers to a Quadra 650, a lower end model of a higher end Macintosh line that many people were fond of in the days before Power Macs and other commercially successful Apple products.

Originally Posted By: Lovebound Geas
Exile 3 was working before, wasn't it?
Well, I thought it was, but it's not working now. It causes a crash if I open it in Thousands of colours, and if I tell it to switch to 256 it freezes at the intro dialog, and stops updating; but I can Cmd-Q to quit it still.

...okay, Exile 1 seems to work fine. Exile 2, however, crashes when the game starts.

Also, preferences don't seem to be saved? It asks me every time whether to change the colour depth, and I set Save Maps in Exile 1 but it was unset when I re-opened.

Yes, with some alteration of the BoE code and permission from Jeff.

It would be similar to how Nethergate: Resurrection is based on the BoA engine: the same underlying engine would be the same, yes, but there would be differences in the engine as well (such as the spell sets).

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
Yes, with some alteration of the BoE code and permission from Jeff.

It would be similar to how Nethergate: Resurrection is based on the BoA engine: the same underlying engine would be the same, yes, but there would be differences in the engine as well (such as the spell sets).

Why would you need Jeff's permission to support the original Exile games with the BoE engine? It's not like you are creating new distributions of Exile series. You could simply have it pull the data from the Exile games on install or runtime.

Although, getting his permission is a good idea if you want to make packages with the game data included.

Originally Posted By: King InuYasha
You could simply have it pull the data from the Exile games on install or runtime.
Hm. I hadn't thought of that. To be honest, I'm not really sure whether Exile 1 and 2 have data that could be read by the BoE engine. Exile 3 probably does, though.

Ishad Nha seems to be able to pull info from the data files from the Exiles using mathey crap. I assume said mathey crap could be used by a modified BoE to load from--and convert--the data to be playable. However, I think this would mean that you could get around paying for the Exiles, since the registration is (?) done by the game, not the data. Thus, Jeff probably wouldn't approve of doing this.

Originally Posted By: w-dueck
Ishad Nha seems to be able to pull info from the data files from the Exiles using mathey crap. I assume said mathey crap could be used by a modified BoE to load from--and convert--the data to be playable. However, I think this would mean that you could get around paying for the Exiles, since the registration is (?) done by the game, not the data. Thus, Jeff probably wouldn't approve of doing this.

Well, there is an easy way around that. Figure out where the "valid" registration data is stored and use that to figure out if there is any registration data. If not, restrict to what the demo would be.

Or, just not worry about it. The Exile series is not really playable anymore under 64-bit Windows (unless you use a VM of 32-bit Windows to run it), nor is it playable under current Macs.

Jeff could probably chime in and give his approval. But, honestly, I don't think he cares. The games are quite old and they don't run under the latest versions of Windows that ship with most new PCs, since most PCs now come with 64-bit Windows, and OS X (Classic doesn't exist for Intel Macs).

Originally Posted By: Cryolemon
Well, since all registration does is change the misc.dat file, you could get an unregistered version and a registered version, compare them and you'd know exactly what to check.

We probably would need Jeff's permission for any of this though.

If it doesn't match what the file is for an unregistered version, it's likely to be registered, so that's all that has really has to be done then.

If it doesn't match what the file is for an unregistered version, it's likely to be registered, so that's all that has really has to be done then.

The only problem there is that someone with a hex editor could just alter one byte of the shareware file to get around registering. You have to make sure it matches the registered misc.dat

Originally Posted By: Cryolemon

The only problem there is that someone with a hex editor could just alter one byte of the shareware file to get around registering. You have to make sure it matches the registered misc.dat

But wouldn't that be rather difficult given the varied keys used for registering?

But wouldn't that be rather difficult given the varied keys used for registering?

Your suggestion was that should check for registration by checking that misc.dat is not identical to the misc.dat found in the unregistered version. Simply replacing the contents of misc.dat with random data would effectively crack this security method. It's not a good idea unless we actually get the go-ahead to distribute the Exile series for free outright.

This discussion is getting a bit out of hand. I think we'd better stop now.

For the record, Jeff does still make a trickle on the Exile series, so he may not give permission. If you're so interested in this, you could always ask. The worst he could do is say "no".