A6 - Magical Efficiency

Slarti

I tried casting Return Life (cost: 50) at 10, 20, and 30 ME, 20 times each.

RL @ 10 ME: Avg Cost 26.1 (52%), Range 19-34 (38-68%)

RL @ 20 ME: Avg Cost 13.1 (26%), Range 07-18 (14-36%)

RL @ 30 ME: Avg Cost 04.5 (09%), Range 01-08 (02-16%)

Conclusion: Magical Efficiency provides worthwhile savings and is a better investment than Intelligence when you first gain access to it. However it isn't drastically better, so after you put some points in it a few points in Int are warranted. Note however that more ME increases your effective mana pool by just as much (or more) at higher ME, whereas Int increases for effective mana pool by smaller fractions once you get higher Int. This is relevant if you expect to end up equipping Int-boosting items, which reduce the value of your purchased Int points. Nothing reduces the value of purchased ME points.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: At 40 Magical Efficiency, ALL SPELLS COST ZERO SPELL ENERGY. That's right... infinite mana!

Who knew you could reach infinity by counting to 40?

This is actually be achievable in-game by a PS/NM character, and without using all of their skill points. There are 10 points available from equipment and 1 from a basin, and there is a ME trainer. Actually, forget the PS/NM part, as NM only contributes +4 even at level 30. You can do this with a DT/PS character. At level 30, the character will have 7 free points of ME. Add the other 11, that's 18 points. The trainer gets you to 21. The cost of another 19 points of ME? 166 skill points.

Maybe not that practical, but it is doable.

Well, he did go out of his way to raise the skill cap from 30 to 40.

The attractiveness of 1,2,3,5 or something along those lines is that this allows you to max out at an effective level of 20. Alternately -- this is how it's done in the BoE code -- perhaps the game specifies certain sp values to pay attention to. That could even give us ...16, 18, 20, 23, 26, 30, 35, 40.