Documentation!!!

Celtic Minstrel

So, I've just uploaded the original documentation from the Mac version in HTML format. I cleaned it up a little, and have altered it in some ways to fix errors or account for things that have been changed, but I have only gotten about a quarter of the way through.

If anyone else would like to take up this task, that would be wonderful. You would need to know HTML, and you would need to find an SVN client to commit changes to the repository (or know how to use it from the command line). If anyone would like to do this, email me for repository access.

(This is end-user documentation I'm talking about, not developer/code documentation. No programming experience is required. I can of course do it myself, but I find it tedious and would rather work on the code.)

On a tangentially related note, we could gather together articles written by various people and distribute them along with the game documentation. Thoughts?

Excellent idea ...

I assume the Mac and Windows documentation is the same, so we would need only one copy for both version (i'll make a specific copy for the last version of Classic BoE, i.e right before moving to code refactoring/changes, with compatibility switches, buggy scenarios/workarounds, etc ...).

Both version will need to behave the same way though (but i'm sure they will in the end wink ).

If i find time i'll check the current copy.

Chokboyz

Yes, only a single copy for Mac and Windows together. That's why the doc directory is neither in the Win32 nor the osx directory. I'm not sure it's necessary to have a version for your Classic BoE, since the documentation would be mostly the same anyway; but if you think it's necessary, go for it.

Thuryl helped out, using his extensive knowledge (far more extensive than mine, anyway) of what has been done in legacy scenarios. That seems to have been helpful in determining whether changing various behaviors would break legacy scenarios.

Hee hee! It gives me chills to actually see myself in the credits in the BoE documentation. I've wanted to do something useful for the community since I first found out about its existance, and now it's happening. Too bad it's only after nobody plays the game anymore. frown

Maybe once the new scenario format is set up and stable, we can try running a publicity campaign. I tried plugging it a few times on the FSM Discussion Board, but unfortunately I seem to have been ignored. tongue

Originally Posted By: The Almighty Doer of Stuff
Thuryl helped out, using his extensive knowledge (far more extensive than mine, anyway) of what has been done in legacy scenarios. That seems to have been helpful in determining whether changing various behaviors would break legacy scenarios.

Yup, definitely Thuryl ...

Maybe once the new scenario format is set up and stable, we can try running a publicity campaign. I tried plugging it a few times on the FSM Discussion Board, but unfortunately I seem to have been ignored.

Even without the new format, i'm sure people would enjoy playing BoE (after all it's a good game and there's quality scenarios out there ... Some will have to overcome the "OMG it's 2D !!!" factor though). Once i've removed the (apparently dreadful) "Beta" flag, people will have a version to fiddle with while waiting for the big one.
A game with a bunch of playable scenarios, the possibility of creating your own and running on modern OS for under 4Mo of download would certainly interest some people. Oh, did i mention it was free and open source ? smile
Given the download counters for both Classic BoE (Beta 1 and 2) and the Mac release, at least some people seems to be interested (or there's a troll that keep on downloading the same files over and over). And we don't have a Linux release for now ...
Concerning publicity, i've only found one link (and in the comments of a post) to the Google Code page, not counting Irony Central. But it don't think it's a problem for now smile

Chokboyz

Just a quick question, because I wanted to show my girlfriend BoE and she forgot her Macbook at home. Are the save files currently portable between Windows and Mac, or is it only portable between old Mac and new Mac?

Original BoE only knows to read the savefile of the system it runs on.
Classic BoE knows how to read any savefile (Windows/Mac O.S X and PPC Mac). The Classic Edition of the Character Editor won't read a PPC Mac file though (i though it was not worth adding, since you only need to save the file once after opening it in the game to convert it to Win/OS X endianness).
I think the Windows compatibility isn't achieved for now with the newer Mac version.

Hope it helps,
Chokboyz

The latest official release for Mac is still the same as before I started working on it: it can open PPC Mac files only. The current development copy can't load saved games at all until Niemand finishes what he was working on.

Originally Posted By: Chokboyz
The Classic Edition of the Character Editor won't read a PPC Mac file though (i though it was not worth adding, since you only need to save the file once after opening it in the game to convert it to Win/OS X endianness).
I'm using the exact same code for loading in all three programs, so once it works the Character Editor will be able to open Windows files.

• 2 years later...

topicnecromancy.gif

In between various stages of sickness-induced daze, I worked on this some. Not really work, given I did about 500 characters of original writing. Mostly just rearranging and porting to a Mediawiki wiki (because i'm too lazy to write css that doesn't look like crap, also PDF exports with the Extension:Collection). I've gotten the game code ported and added farncy new screenshots, hopefully I'll get the editor portion done (and commit everything) before I ADHD out for another two years.

• 1 year later...

What I said above became no longer valid about five minutes in, and I decided to use TeX.

It's still not done yet, but handily it will enable the same amount of stuff, plus allow for easy version control and building.

Anywho, here's a preview of a PDF export that is by no means complete, Thought I'd give some sort of update. This'll also be in the repo shortly (I'm using LyX as a GUI, btw).