A4 - DEMONSLAYER

BRAC

After a number of attempts through the Scree Caves "Holding Area" looking for the Demonslayer weapon I've been trounced enough by the endless golums to ask for assistance. Got so bad that I ALMOST considered using cheat codes!

Any hints on how to initially proceed or a sense of what objective(s) are important in this area would be appreciated. Please, just a hint or two; I really want to solve as much of the game on my own as possible. Thanks.

There's some levers around the edges that will open up portculli which will let you get into the center area.

Incidentally, Acid Spray is your friend when dealing with golems. Low-cost, high-damage spells that deal acid damage (which almost nothing besides slimes resists) is handy.

• 2 weeks later...

I found that tool-use 11 wasn't sufficient to turn off the golem machine. Unless you have skill points to burn, I recommend leaving the machine on. If you stay in combat mode continuously you'll be able to complete the quest before too many golems spawn.

Quote:
Originally written by Schrodinger:

Be sure to turn off the endless-golem making machine to the SW. It requires some tool use. That will make your stay much easier. Then hit all the switches to the SE and NW. Go through the door to the SE, and you'll find what you're looking for.

I think the password is nonexistent, like in Avernum 1 when you a ritual is mentioned to get past the fortress on the way to releasing Grah-Hoth.

Just make sure you have someone to unshackle the terrorized minds from the ferocius demon and watch for the magic barrier.

Trying this as a singleton, I got mental resistance at 66% and used mindshield scrolls. I still got terrorized a few times, but with invulnerability potions, and an armor potion, and lots of summoned shades to keep the demon busy I eventually won. Unfortuneately as a singleton you have to fight them one at a time and slowly wear them down past that nasty magic barrier that reduces damage.

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:
Unfortuneately as a singleton you have to fight them one at a time and slowly wear them down past that nasty magic barrier that reduces damage.
Isn't that barrier only applied to one of them at a time, though? So as soon as one gets it you just start hacking at the other one.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot I was going back into old threads. Sorry.

As a singleton you have trouble when you have to fight both at once. Switching off to go after the unprotected one means that the demon mostly holds back and terrorizes you while the golem attacks. You can do it with more mindshield scrolls and invulnerability potions than I had available. I needed to have shades between me and the demon so he wastes his terror on them. But then the golem whacks two shades a round and I have trouble fighting both and creating allies.

I'd rather use another sword that has better attack bonuses like Radiant Soulblade or Seeking Rapier. By the end game I boosted hardiness so I don't take much damage. That and a lot of invulnerability elixirs that were just piling up. In the end I was zapping everything with spells or bow since I was too far away for melee attacks. Demonslayer didn't seem as good as in the other games for damage even versus a demon.