A4 - Pure Spirit way better then natural mage...?

EvilEye

I have been doing some testing of traits and I found that natural mage gives the following:

+2 initial bonus to mage spells

+1 initial bonus to magical efficiency

+1 mage spell bonus per 6 levels

+1 magical efficiency bonus per 10 levels

Pure spirit gives the following:

+2 initial bonus to priest spells

+2 initial bonus to magical efficiency!!

+1 priest spell bonus per 6 levels

+1 magical efficiency per 6 levels!!!

So if i had to choose between the 2 its Pure spirit all the way, assuming I use non encumbering armor.

Also anyone know the formula for magical efficiency?? Everyone says that it sucks.... BUT you get a pretty hefty bonus by level 30 ( +11 ) if you had both natural mage and pure spirit, and thats before any training or items.

Well at higher levels you will almost always cost a few points less for the most expensive spells. I believe the savings is proportionate to the cost of the spell, so savings are less likely on cheap spells. I'd say I save about 50 or so total sp casting augmentation, steel skin, and enduring armor with my two characters with both traits+ a few points from other sources near the end of the game.

Magical Efficiency is AWFUL. I did tests on it which are somewhere in this forum, too. Even with a maximum skill level of 30 magical efficiency, the mana saved is relatively low and inconsistently applied.

HOWEVER, since priest spell skill is responsible for damage from Divine Retribution AND dodge % from the enduring spells, I'd argue that a ridiculously high one is rather more useful than in mage spell skill.

Natural mage is useful for the armor allowed penalty going from 5% to 20%. This means that a mage can use more different armors and combinations.

The real benefit for having one character with natural mage is that Terror is more likely to work. This seems to extend to even items like the Terror wand.

The cost to train up in mage spells is higher than priest, so you can use Natural Mage with tool use and train up as a priest for extra spells.