A4 - Frail + Brittle Bones

The Lurker

After reading jestrada5's thread in the AT forum, I thought I would try something similar with A4, just for fun. So here's my party :

Ssschah

Slithzerikai Blademaster

Brittle Bones

Frail

Mmrrr

Nephil Archer/Explorer

Brittle Bones

Frail

Mycroft

Human Priest

Strong Will

Frail

Cordelia

Human Mage/Thief

Nimble Fingers

Frail

Well geez, at first I wasn't being serious, but now I am considering replaying the whole game with this party. My PCs are leveling up really fast. If I keep playing, I'm pretty sure my slith will be an ur-blademaster in no time - and he should be able to get some Parry quite early, too. So far none of the enemies I've met have been too hard - and I haven't even used the Daze spell yet. Even Blackfur was a pushover and the Fort Draco shade wasn't that tough. I had to use a bit more armor than usual for my slith, but that was all.

So, um, I'm afraid I strongly disagree with Schrodinger about Frail.

The trouble with taking traits with XP bonuses in A4 is that around the Eastern Gallery, your levelling rate really starts to slow down and stays slow for the rest of the game -- you'll be getting negligible XP from everything after a certain level, so you'll only end up 2 or 3 levels ahead, which is less than the skill point value of the benefits you'd get from taking traits with XP penalties instead.

Feel free to try and disprove conventional wisdom, though.

Soloing ends with a 40-45 level? Ok..I estimate that I'm about halfway through the game now. I've not been to Patrick's Tower yet. I'm just now going into Fort Emerald in order to retrieve the crystal box for Houghton. My party members are all around the 25th level. I rather think that I'll end the game with members mostly around level 50. And none of my party members have any disadvantages. In fact, each of them has at least one advantage. I'm starting to believe that you can't really mess up..it all equals out in the end somewhere. Am I wrong?

---Zelda

Quote:
Originally written by Zelda:
Am I wrong?
Sadly, yes. You'll end at ~32-35, depending on your desire for total quest completion and mind-numbing pylon killing. You actually sound a lot further along then you might think.

ABE:
Judging from my really quick estimate (moving halfway down my FAQ), the middle of the game is somewhere around about the Tower Colony to Camp Samuels.

Still playing with my frail party. Carrying stuff around is starting to become a major pain, and I have to put a bit more points in my nephil's strength than usual. Combat is still quite easy (I killed Kravvit-Bok and Hrickis with no problems), and I really appreciate the fact than my slith is leveling faster than usual.

Thuryl - you may be right about this, but I can use my extra skill points however I want, which is nice. And hey, my slith still gets free bonuses to pole weapons, my nephil gets bonuses to Gymnastics (he has a lot of Dexterity, too, so he's hard to hit in melee), and my mage/thief is much more powerful (both in unlocking and spellcasting) than before.

EDIT : Also, I am playing on Normal difficulty. I always play on Normal.

Quote:
Originally written by The Lurker:
EDIT : Also, I am playing on Normal difficulty. I always play on Normal.
That makes sense. I tried on Torment, and even though torment is easy I found that my party got killed a lot easier than my proper party.

Also, has anyone tried this with a singleton, as this may be a way to break the level block?

- Archmagus Micael

• 1 month later...
Quote:
Originally written by radix malorum est cupiditas:
it should be pointed out that only monster xp is lowered with level, not quest.
Actually, that's not true. Quest XP rewards are scaled according to your level. If you look at the scripts, there are actually two numbers given: a base XP amount and a level at which the base amount is awarded. You get more or less XP depending on what your actual level is when you complete the quest.

This may scale differently from enemy XP awards, but it definitely is lowered with level.