My Scenario --questions

Mistb0rn

That's true, but if you find yourself running out of special nodes as Mistb0rn is, that's not too practical.

You could have a plain grass terrain that's blocked, and put all your different tree items on that terrain, thus reducing all your trees to one terrain. However, now you have the problem that if someone picks up the tree item, they have an inexplicably impassible grass tile. The same happens with Can't Enter.

If you have very, very few trees in any given town, you could call a node every turn (or in the case of Can't Enter, before it in the node chain) checking for the tree on that tile before removing the block. However, with many trees, this becomes unwieldy to impossible.

Another, heavy-handed solution is checking every turn to see if the party has a tree in their inventory, and abruptly killing them if they do.

None of these solutions work outdoors, however, where you're likely to encounter trees, yet can't place items.

Originally Posted By: The Almighty Doer of Stuff
That's true, but if you find yourself running out of special nodes as Mistb0rn is, that's not too practical.

It's one node. You can reuse it all over town. You can even use Paste Special to get around the limit of 50 placed special encounters. If people pick up the trees that they're obviously not supposed to pick up, it's their own fault if their immersion is broken. It's basically a cosmetic problem anyway.

You can only have 50 special encounters placed in town normally. Paste Special ignores that limit -- although, of course, you should make sure the pasted specials are the last specials you want to place, since you won't be able to place any specials by normal means after passing the limit.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to do custom item images, but they keep showing up as this black 'No item' question mark icon in the store. I'm pretty sure I've done it right, and I've used custom item graphics before and they worked, so I'm not sure what's wrong. I over-wrote Demonslayer and Wyrmsbane for them, could that cause problems? Or is there something else I don't know about that could mess it up?

Thanks!

http://www.geocities.com/blyceum/DForum/023.html

Quote:
Item Graphics — In a shop, the item graphic will not be displayed. Instead, the graphic (if there is one) 5 slots ABOVE the designated item graphic will be displayed. You can work around this by creating duplicate item graphics, 5 rows apart. See the pumpkin, pick axe, sack of flour, and loaf of bread in the GIF file for Redemption for an example of this.