Geneforge 5: Overthrow - October Update

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*grumble* I finally found the levers for the basement level. Jeff made it so you have to move the mouse cursor over the statue to light up the lever. I swear I can't even see the tip without doing it. I'd rather just bump into walls all day than go back through zones trying to find these hidden levers.

Even knowing what zone to look in took me 10 minutes for the Easter egg.

What did you think about the creation in the expert dungeon that could only be damaged by bronze weapons? I had to go back to the smithy near the start to get a bronze shortsword to kill it.

Well, the bronze sword problem was kind of dumb. You didn't need a bronze sword.

You just needed a non magical weapon. Several of the new creation types are completely immune to magic.

The only way to deal with them reliably is with battle creations. War Tralls are great because they throw rocks.

Unless of course you didn't invest in battle shaping. And then you are kind of boned.

Some information may have been correct, but it looking through the scripts to update my notes, I found that Jeff has been changing things. I blame the new beta testers being wimps who can't just suck up the damage and keep going. Jeff didn't make it easier for me and kept pointing out that I was killing everything before so he was just making it harder for the expert players.

DV - the null turrets were my fault after I went through that zone and harvested the original reaper turrets for my baton. Jeff said that it was supposed to be stealth and not a combat zone.

All of your spells are overrated. You hit someone with a sword, and they die. Hit, then die. Its not anymore complicated than that.

Example: Me and BlueRivets meet to fight. While he's still muttering the incantation for his ice spell, I run up, stab him in the gut, and stand back and laugh as he slowly dies and agonizing death.

He would not be "Mutterig the incantation for his ice spell" it would most probably be an defence spell he would automaticly have prepared as a result of years of training. *actual example* Page 275 fourth paragraph of Dragonlance Legends Vol.3

If you did not have such training you deserve to die...

I can't wait until somebody runs up and stabs a sword golem.

We'll be hearing about that on the forums for sure...

"How do I beat the magic immune golem that reflects all physical damage blah blah blah..."

Just make sure your shaper is far, far, far away when it finally dies... The resulting death explosion and the physical damage the shrapnel does over the next dozen rounds or so is designed to rid you of your creations and possibly your worthless life.

Hint. Batons...

Originally Posted By: Iffy
Have you tested to see if the game can be run without directly attacking anything (not even own creations)?

I haven't tried it, but there will be a line of zones in each map half that will require slipping through using stealth to get to the next section that can be cleared by just crossing the zone. It's probably doable in normal difficulty.

There was a fresh batch of screenshots. With being so close to the supposed realese date, jeff would be insane to give out more screenshots.

And keep in mind Randomizer and Delicious Vlish could be lieing right threw their teeth(In Delicious case, tenticles)

More on topic, i'm going to guess that this huge shaper librariy is the expert zone. And it will be so cool to learn where the Ghaalks come from, where cute little fyora's appeared.

You do get to meet the creature that the fyora is based on. Only it isn't cute, nor little, and it is capable of slapping a drakon around like a rag doll.

Shapers just made a cute little miniature version of it.

At first I thought it was Godzilla coming to get me.

And you don't even want to know what the proto vlish is like.

Yes. He isn't delicious. At all.

You get to meet a few proto creations that the shapers enslaved, experimented on, bred, and then used as a template for shaping. The proto fyora is bad because the burning lasts for dozens of rounds, the lingering fire damage is quite painful. The proto vlish, well, I can't let to many details slip, but if you have any creations at all, he will seize their minds, call them to him, and then send them out to hunt you. You get to see the games powerful new scripting in action.

You really shouldn't get to attached to your creations in this game really. They can be turned against you at will by REAL shapers. Not the whiny little milksops you've encountered in the previous backwater territories. Some very powerful shapers will simply absorb your creations and make your army go poof. If you play a servile, you must be very, very careful to never face these shapers directly, or they will simply unmake you with a wave of their hand. And then it is game over man. You'll be looking at a death screen and reading some text that tells you that you messed up big time.

The power of the shapers is absolute and brutal. You will see, before the end, why the drakons want that power for themselves.

I fear no shapers(while playing servile) I will charge in like a fool! I just can't wait to finally take on all the shapers. They will burn under the feet of my Ur-Drakons. They will screem at the sight of my terror spells. They shall be split at the tip of my Puresteel Soulblade!

Sorry, didn't mean to go on an bloody rebal rant. smile

Are the factions balenced or are there clear "I have more power than you" situations?

Originally Posted By: Delicious Vlish
If you play a servile, you must be very, very careful to never face these shapers directly, or they will simply unmake you with a wave of their hand.

That bothered me a little in GF4, actually, regardless of the credibility of the statement. Why couldn't Miranda/Alwan just unmake you?

Correct, Neb believes it was in geneforge 2 that showed that unless creations were willing, the shaper had difficulty absorbing creations.

It also makes sence the shaper would be able to kill Lifecrafters. The shaper absorbes the essence enfused in the Lifecrafter's DNA, causeing it to break down in massive amounts, mostly in the brain. The entire being doesn't vanish, it just dies from loss of too much essential DNA components, braindeath.

You must remember, you aren't facing the backwater shapers you are used to. Alwan and Miranda were low ranking nobodies. Remember, Alwan didn't even finish school. Remember the comments about worthless shapers being sent to the backwater wastes just to be rid of them? Like Zakary?

You are in the heart of the shaper empire now, facing real shapers, with abilities and powers you've never seen before. And remember in the screen shots of the game on who you will be meeting in this game.

Sure Alwan was one of the generals you see in GF4 and the Shapers sent an agent to keep track of him. You always see creation-fodder on the front lines. The Germans used to send their allies ahead to soften up the Russians with their own units behind to make sure their allies had an incentive to keep going. Knowing that you'll be killed if you retreat is great incentive to advance in hopes of surviving.

Well, he's a guardian. To be fair, he's not adept at magic or shaping.

There are shapers and agents. These are not run up and poke you with a sword types. These are dissolve you with a gesture types.

And not regular shapers either. Council members. And the best minds that the shaper empire has to offer.

Council Kyshaaks, the pets of the council, are the real concern.

Think gazer like attack, hitting everything on screen. Only lightning attacks. Surrounded by a searing cloud of lightning, you take hundreds of damage per turn. That is, if you survive the initial hit.

With enough grounded items though they aren't to bad.

The cryokyshaaks are much worse, in my opinion, as there are very few ways to resist cold attacks. The polar fur cloak you get at the start of the game is worth 50 coins, so it is typically sold. Which, I discovered, is a bad idea. Of course, even if there were items, it wouldn't help much, as you are fighting null turrets during the big battle when you first meet the cryokyshaaks, and those lower your resists with each hit.

If you happen to see a big purple looking kyshaak, run.