Geneforge 5: Overthrow - October Update

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter whether you pick any class because Shaper Rawal treats you as minion, a talking dog, to run, fetch, and report back. Serviles do get a little worse treatment in the comments made about you.

The new class suffers from the only problem that the encounters to leave the second barrier quest tend to be harder for the usual creation picks. By mid game the class has access to enough creation types that you should be okay. I just got frustrated that my creations were useless for a key zone and kept being destroyed. I even stashed them in a room near the zone entrance and watched the game AI send the monsters after them while I was attacking to clear the first fight.

The biggest problem has been addressed in that Jeff was stingy with experience early in testing and that you could clear most zones for no experience. Now you can get into the low 50s level for characters so there isn't an excuse not to have a powerful character before getting help from the items.

Pretty much, DV's idea needs a little modification in that with high damaging attacks near the end of the game you want some strength for wearing heavier armor. Jeff did include some lighter puresteel armor for the weaker characters. There are a few monsters that take more damage from a weapon than a spell, but you can get training and items that can be swapped for those few occasions. Almost all of them take acid damage anyway.

I pretty much ran the new class as an agent and then added some fire shaping to get 2 cryoas. The plan was to upgrade to drayks in the middle of the game.

With 50+ levels, you have plenty of room for adding whatever you want.

I didn't know Rotghroths became weaker. I don't understand. Why do some people love to save so much essence for spells? In my G4 account where I am level 39, I have about 500+ essence but I only keep 70-80 of them for spells. That's less than 1/5 of the total amount.

(Note: I only play on Normal difficulty, so don't blame me if I said something wrong for those playing on Tricky or/and Torment difficulties.)

One last question, did Jeff added more creations to your arsenal or is it the same old 15 species from G4?

While you're giving out tantalizing details, one question regarding Mechanics and Leadership. How much will I have to invest?

Each Geneforge game requires a minimum amount for specific areas and conversation options. I prefer to allocate the maximum amount needed for the entire game and never look back, e.g., my inflitrator in G4 has 10 in Mechanics and Leadership before leaving the Forsaken Lands. In the second chapter, I invest two more points in each and I'm set for the game. This puts me at a severe handicap initially, but it is a necessary one.

Short term, this strategy gives me additional experience points for options that need high Leadership and Mechanics. Long term, it frees my inventory (no need to carry too many Infiltrator items) for more valuable things,and reduces the number of living tools I must use.

Mechanics and leadership depend upon how many of the items you have that can give bonuses to them. One problem with beta testing is that you can't get to the next section for a while, so you get bored and increase those two abilities more than you need them so you can explore everything that is available. The result is you go into areas that were meant for much later in the game when you should have gotten the items.

Highest trap is mechanics 16, but I haven't looked for other mechanics abilities checks. I have to look at the scripts for the highest leadership check. I'll give an update when the game comes out, but you don't need the abilities that high if you know where the items are located or are playing for those skills instead of combat to get through the zones.

Edit - I found a higher mechanic mine than the trap.

Whatever happened to non disclosure agreements?

I've been a tester for years, I've never seen so much spilled about a game before hand.

I have all kinds of things I'd love to say, but that'd be wrong.

Oh. I will say, the glass cannon Agent is dead. Servile Turtle Mage on the other hand...

DV - There's nothing wrong with the glass cannon agent build (mine's mostly got endurance from items). You just need a healthy dose of steroids (strength) to wear heavy armor like a guardian without becoming encumbered. I'm running on torment and having very few problems except stun loops which would hurt any build.

Originally Posted By: Dark Neptune
So, is truth in Randomizer's words? I don't know, so I would think about it. I just want to see more images of G5 and the walkthrough of it. And also, this storyline better be epic enough to last me nearly a year, as G4's storyline lasted me for only 2 months.

With 5 factions, unalinged, canisters or no canisters, and a plethara of sidequests, plus 6 different classes, I'd imagine there'd be plenty of replay value.

As for Randomizers honesty, who knows?

Rotghroths look like large zombies who wanna strip your body apart and eat you like you ate your KFC Chicken. Rotdhizons look like even larger zombies who wanna eat you in a crunch but before they do that, they burn your body with acid.

I think we better stick to the original topic rather than talking about Vampires, or Garlic. I wonder whether Jeff will throw in an Easter Egg in G5.

Originally Posted By: Fringy MacGee
Originally Posted By: Dark Neptune
I wonder whether Jeff will throw in an Easter Egg in G5.

Has anyone found an Ornk canister yet?

Umm, you can find the one in G4 in
Click to reveal..
Porphra eastern road. First, kill all the oozebeasts on the west bank. Then go to the western side and kill the Ornk-lord, take its guantlets, then check the spat of forest near the left exit. Feel around the forest because you won't see it and then click on the canister. To get it, don't select any creation's on the bars.

For future refrenence, you're supposed to make a seperate thread for someting like this.

Oh I was being dead serious.

With out saying to much, there is a place, a big repository of where the shapers put their knowledge, like a library only full of snarling blood thirsty rogues, and you can read up about all kinds of things by clicking on the little books on pedestals.

Like Sucia island, how the Shapers came to be, races that the Shapers enslaved, punished for resisting, etc.

Serviles were made the way they were as punishment. Forced to dig in the dirt and endure menial labour. They were given long noses to help them dig out valuable roots and herbs, and one can only assume that would mean truffles as well.

Getting the library pass is fiendishly difficult though.

Originally Posted By: The Flaming Cuckatoo
Sometimes I wonder if it is really worth reading all these tantalising bits of information... Perhaps it is an inate instict to inflict such torture on myself?

Don't worry,
It's even more tantalizing for those of us who don't have Macs. More tantalizing, and more evil. Yes, I'm insinuating that Macs (and Jeff's use of them) are evil.

Originally Posted By: Delicious Vlish
With out saying to much, there is a place, a big repository of where the shapers put their knowledge, like a library only full of snarling blood thirsty rogues, and you can read up about all kinds of things by clicking on the little books on pedestals.

How come the rogues don't eat or tear apart the books? Are the books all trapped? Dikiyoba hopes they aren't.

Not as bad as the rogue creations destroyed the index. It took me 2 hours to search the place and make notes for the next playthrough.

Edit - This makes the A2 Empire Archives look easy. Dodging/killing creations and searching the whole place for useful information.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer

Not as bad as the rogue creations destroyed the index. It took me 2 hours to search the place and make notes for the next playthrough.

Edit - This makes the A2 Empire Archives look easy. Dodging/killing creations and searching the whole place for useful information.

Did you find all of the hidden levers to pull? I've discovered a basement level on my second play through. A lot of the levers are well hidden, right behind the shaper and guardian statues in the central hall.

Don't go in the basement. It is full of things that are nothing but eyes and a lot of free time to read.

It is worth searching and clicking on every book though. Your healing craft goes up by 3 or 4, as does your shaping skills, magic skills, and your endurance after reading the compendium about guardian exercise regimens.

Having your self well versed in lore of the shapers helps a whole lot when debating with council members. It gives you reply options that you wouldn't normally have.