Geneforge 5: Overthrow - August Update

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whereas in GF1 to GF3 you start as a Shaper apprentice at different stages of your training and GF4 where you start as a Rebel recruit, GF5 gets right to the heart of the matter and you start off as minion. You are a few levels above a trained dog in that besides knowing kill and fetch, you also know speak (in words) so that you can relay information. Unless you start as a servile, in which case you start only barely above a dog's level in the opinion of the Shapers.

I like it already. Makes it more satisfying to rise through the ranks.

But if you're that lowly, are you even a Shaper? Or is this going to be some sort of lowly-servant-who-finds-canister situation?

As to who survived...I'm almost positive Alwan has to die, which means Greta probably lives, and if she is she'll be a major leader. It seems to make sense for Miranda to be dead, but you're right, she's just too good a character for that. I think Blaze will die between GF4 and 5, after one of his precious Unbound get the best of him. He'd make a good martyr figure anyway, fallen champion of the cause and all that. Karikiss could go either way, too close to call.

But what about the "5 factions" Jeff stated?

He said "Many major chracters" will be back from G1, G2, G3 and G4 for a "Final Showdown" in G5. Doubt Jeff wants many major characters to be killed in G4 from the looks of the statement.

Currently, the characters in G4 that were from either G1, G2 and/or G3 are:

Alwan

Greta

Akkari Blaze

Litalia

Darnor

Amena Blade

Shaper Danell

I think that's all I know.

But from what I know, Amena Blade(Servile from Derenton Freehold), is the longest surviving character, having originated from Kazg in Sucia Island, to Zhass-Uss in the Western Terrestia mountains, to the Ashen Isles, and to Derenton in Northeastern Terrestia.

Originally Posted By: Dark Nept
But what about the "5 factions" Jeff stated?
You have to start out as one of the two major factions and are introduced to the others later in the game. At least that's what I've come to understand. Oh, and you forgot Ghaldring in your list, even though he didn't exactly appear in person in Geneforge 2 and 3, he was sort of in both. He's also pretty unique in that he's the only character you've never gotten the chance to face in battle, aside from the Shaper Council, of course.

The 5 factions are Shaper Extremists, Shaper Traditionalists, Trakovites, Rebel Moderates, and Rebel Extremists. At some point depending upon your reputation and what you have done, you can join one of these factions and do their dirty work. I'm not far enough along to see if you can powergame and shift between the factions.

I haven't gotten far enough in the Rebel side of the game to be certain, but that seems to be the general split with some drakons siding with the moderates. Jeff put most of his creativity with the Shaper factions and showing some characters that were only mentioned in past games.

Lots of moral dilemmas as you see the way the factions are progressing in getting their views across.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
The drayks struck a deal with the Sholai in return for Shaper knowledge they got passage and lands in the Sholai territory. The maps are marked now in Sholai language as, "He be Dragons."

He He He He laugh. Don't scare away fresh members. Not since we are so close to 6000.

Oh and clois, he/she wouldn't tell us something that major too the plot anyway. Randomizer is under a contract. He/She can only give tormenting hints and vague answers.

It's always nice to see how gullible some people can be. Some of what I've said is true, but mostly the parts that don't really help you.

Quote:
Slarty:

Randomizer -- bringing out the fake info already?

Just keeping up Dikiyoba's worst views of me.

Right now we are waiting on the last part of the game that should be done by the end of the month. Jeff is getting complaints that the graphics don't work right on some new machines and operating system versions so he busy trying to track down the problem.

I'm going to asume the Sholai part is true to a degree. They wouldn't be a faction but they will have a presense. Not as much as G1 but not as little as G3. And I would say the drayks are split. Half sucked it up and joined the Human/Servile were they would be treated like allies, not pets. The other half lost their will and gave up, letting themselves become little more then slaves.

On a side note, I'm curious about the gazers/eyebeasts and what did they do. I'll come back in a little and give my spectulation.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer

Right now we are waiting on the last part of the game that should be done by the end of the month. Jeff is getting complaints that the graphics don't work right on some new machines and operating system versions so he busy trying to track down the problem.

New machines or do you mean new machines for Mac users? And why is it that G5 for Windows is coming out later than the one for Macintosh?

Last part........Jeff should have asked at least a couple of users to add in what we think should be in an area or so in G5, rather than making the plot himself only.

I hope in later years he comes back to Geneforge and remakes it, perhaps taking it in a hole different direction. But first I would like him to make a completly knew game after A6. Hmmmmmm. Great, now I'll have to let my mind wander tonight and create a game from the corners of my mind that none dare go.

Strange that I can think of a game in one night yet forget it in the morning. At least I can dream about an actual game.

I thought of a spinoff to geneforge. I've been thinking about it and going over it for about a week now and I beilive its pretty intreasting. If I Email Jeff about it, will he e-mail me back?

You are of course welcome to do so, but I sincerely doubt that he will respond or pay any attention. Jeff once came by several years back and explained it. I will paraphrase:

Jeff gets messages all the time about "great" ideas for plot lines and requests that he makes a game out of it. The problem is that coming up with ideas is the fun 1% of developing a good game, the other 99% is in the implementation.

What you are essentially saying to him is this: "Hey, let me make you a deal. I'll do the fun 1% of the work and you do the other frustrating 99%."

I'm not trying to back seat drive. I just had an idea, thought it was pretty good and wondered if jeff would care/respond. I wasen't trying to tell him what to do at all. I'm well aware Jeff can think of ideas himself. rolleyes Hopefully, he has a brain.

Hey, do video games really turn your brain to mush. If so, I'm screwed. tongue

If you have a good idea, you should look into the Blades games which could let you put them into practice if they are not horribly different than the main engine. While BoE has an older interface, there are ports ongoing to modern architectures and it is not too hard to figure out.

By all means, feel free to discuss your ideas here. The people here, while being a little too opinionated at times, will help you refine them.

Well my idea was a look at the illegel shaper underground. If you have GF1, you might've come across the ruined Shaper arena where Shapers took there creations and put them against each other for gold, secreats, power, etc. There it said it was long time ago now only exist illegly and in the dark past. When I first got read that, I got excited about the chance we would see a little underground crime ring, perhaps a side story. Note this was very long while before I joined the forums.

I am aware that the Barzites fiddeled with it in GF2 but aside from that we haven't seen this illegal creation fights. My idea was if Jeff ever wanted to go back to Geneforge in later years and he wanted to revamp it, perhaps he could dweal on this suggestion of crimes against creations by shapers who would let there cute pet fyoras die on a bet of 400 gold. Maybe a group of shapers tried to eradicate these atrocits who where also known as the C.B.C.R.A.(Creations Basic Civial Rights Asscotiation).

This could show perhaps the shapers weren't so heartless after all. The other group might argue their creations they where beting on are misshappen experiments who are in terrible pain and should be put out of their sadness. Or perhapes they where crazy rouges that have no point to them and only take up cell space. If thats so, is it really so bad to use them for gambling if all they'll do is kill everything it can get?

Then perhaps their was an arguement internaly on what to with this growing epedemic that only got overshawdowed because of the war. Some shapers sided with the C.B.C.R.A. Others sided with what I'll call for now the Mafia. Half the Shaper council couldn't care less about their creations. The other think this is morally wrong and should be stamped out. Maybe this could show the seeds of the eventual split of the shapers.

I personlly think this is a very cool side story and has alot of potential to grow. Then again, thats just me.

Edit: After writing all this a reilized I shouldl've just opened a whole new post for this. And this has nothing to do with GF5.(sigh

• 2 weeks later...

Windows PC is next year after Jeff gets to hear what regular players think and he gets a break.

Right now I'm trying to do them all, but Shaper traditionalists seem the sanest of the bunch. They are all crazy backstabbing power hungry madmen, madwomen, or mad creations.