Geneforge 5: Overthrow - June Update

We have put up the first screenshots and official info for Geneforge 5: Overthrow. It's here.

The world is about half done, and the beta testing will begin in mid-July.

As you can see from the screenshots, a lot has changed. The play area now takes up the whole screen, which makes even old, musty graphics look a lot nicer. I've been able to add a lot of little graphical frills to make things look a little more professional. As I've said before, you can play in a window or play the game in any monitor size.

I've been redoing a lot of the graphics. Almost all of the walls. A lot of the floors. Many of the terrain types. I've been quite happy with the results.

I am starting to rethink the second tier creations. I will probably bring back some of the older creations that some people miss (like the rotdhizon). I have made melee creations generally tougher and far cheaper in essence. I think they have a role to play as cheaper, more disposable zerg-type creatures.

The system for buffing has been completely reworked. Buffs are more powerful, but you can have fewer of them on at one time. You will have to think more to choose what set of buffs will be helpful for a given situation. Haste and slow have weaker effects, so they are no longer the all-powerful makers and breakers they were.

I'll add more as I remember it. For now, it's nice to finally have the public announcement out of the way.

- Jeff Vogel

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah... as I've said before she looks like some sort of assassin. Being able to float, I feel free to assume, is a benefit if you want to be able to sneak around unheard.

If this is the character with strong magic, moderate shaping and weak battle skills, then I suppose this is the character I'll be playing at first go.

I still love the floating. I also still love the new, refined graphics... although I still say that all that black is just a little too much black.

Is there any chance of darker shadows underneath the characters? They're there, but they're so faint you can hardly see them.

I'm really loving the new UI. Really, this is a lot better than before. I just hope you'll replace that scrollbar on the textbox; I think we've had that exact same one since the first Geneforge and it kind of doesn't fit with the color scheme.

So we shall secrete it in the form of noxious fluids :p Thank you for our old tier-2 creations. smile

Ah, we have a new title. Tasty.

Nalyd likes the new UI, including all the black. Can't go wrong with black.

Good to see that buffs no longer make the world go round.

Also, your generosity in the making of graphics is much appreciated. smile

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Originally Posted By: VCH
Does that mean the game will take up all the screen space even on widescreen monitors?

The game can be run in windowed mode for the first time so you can have something else on the same screen if you want it.

That didn't really answer the question. Having a widescreen monitor myself, I am also curious to know if there will still be black spaces on the sides or not.

Edit: I assume not, since there is no frame interface, it should be able to be any size or shape your monitor is.

Originally Posted By: Sleeping Dragon
Having a widescreen monitor myself, I am also curious to know if there will still be black spaces on the sides or not.

The game window will show everything you can see. This can take up a lot of space. However, places you can't see will be black. So, in a new area, there'll be lots of black. A fully explored area, not so much.

- Jeff Vogel

• 2 weeks later...

Truely, I cannot wait for Geneforge 5 to come out...

...Not because of the new classes or the ending of the story. But because of the ~interface~. It looks more like a MMORPG than anything else (action bar, etc) and I'm a gamer, so I would love to try that kinda user interface.

Sadly I'm gonna have to wait a lot, because I don't own a Mac.

~DRoD

Jeff will make a request for additional beta testers for Mac version in another month or so. Windows testers will be in January. So watch What's New and GF4 forum for news.

Jeff has released some screenshots at GF5 official game page.

Edit- My mistake, I missed the button that allows you to start as a shaper group character.

Originally Posted By: Master1
can anyone be a beta tester?? im not the greatest rpg-er, but i would love to do a beta test

It's possible for anyone to be a betatester if it's decided that they have what's needed. You may as well apply and find out for yourself; Jeff isn't going to send people around to break your legs if you don't get in.

Do it quickly, though: applications always close before very long.

I think I'd like to start the game as a peace-corp volunteer. Then work my way up to freak rebel with glowing flesh.

Anyhow... Evelyn is clearly floating. While it's true that in her inventory image she has feet: the circle is simply too far below the hem of her cloak, so that if she's not floating then she clearly has freakishly long, transparent legs that are apparently retractable whenever she gets her picture taken for inventory purposes.

Of course, anyone who's watched the whole Monty Python series knows that Chopin's legs could be jettisoned at will... so I suppose that neither floating nor retractable or elongatable legs are out of the question.

Originally Posted By: Evnissyen
Anyhow... Evelyn is clearly floating. While it's true that in her inventory image she has feet: the circle is simply too far below the hem of her cloak, so that if she's not floating then she clearly has freakishly long, transparent legs that are apparently retractable whenever she gets her picture taken for inventory purposes.

Adding on to that if you zoom way in that she has no legs or feet at all, they might be crunched up, but they simply arn't there.