G5 wishlist.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about an annoying-ass fairy, like in Zelda? "Hey! Hey! Listen! Link! Look out! Hey! What's that? Tee-hee-hee!"

I want grenades. Of course they'd have to be Shaped rather than manufactured - like portable versions of mines. You chuck it a short distance at a spot on the ground, and the next turn, it severely damages everything nearby. Simple/ignorant creations don't know to run away from it. I guess it would do physical/fire damage.

grenadebv1.gif

Is it me, or do I have a habit of going way too far to illustrate an idea?

Quote:
Originally written by Nick Ringer:
How about an annoying-ass fairy, like in Zelda? "Hey! Hey! Listen! Link! Look out! Hey! What's that? Tee-hee-hee!"

I want grenades. Of course they'd have to be Shaped rather than manufactured - like portable versions of mines. You chuck it a short distance at a spot on the ground, and the next turn, it severely damages everything nearby. Simple/ignorant creations don't know to run away from it. I guess it would do physical/fire damage.

grenadebv1.gif

Is it me, or do I have a habit of going way too far to illustrate an idea?
Fairy. We've got one of them. It's called the tutorial pop-ups. "This is a dagger. It's for killing your enemies. Eventually, you'll be able to get weapons that can kill even bigger enemies. For now though, you can use this dagger."

Grenades = Throwing Crystals.

Xel'Raga: All of the screens are interactive. The little energy things in G4 move when you click, you have a Shaping platform in G3, acid drops come off the pointer in G2, and everyone knows about G1. The return of the messages, or just better interactivity, would be nice though.

Quote:
Originally written by Goldenking:
Grenades = Throwing Crystals.
Uh . . . [Nick realizes he has stated the obvious, and attempts to cover for it] That proves what a good idea it is! Great minds think alike, right? [Nick dies a little on the inside.]

You could at least admit the animation is cool, or I just wasted like an hour and a half. It's all, like, whoosh! whippp! chomp, yank, ker-flinnggg! and then a pause, and then BLOOOSHH!

It's a very cool animation, and it might well be worthwhile to further expand the Geneforge arsenal of missile weapons. For instance, the battle discipline mechanics of Avernum 5 are too good not to be ported, in some form, to Geneforge 5. But taking them straight over as battle disciplines that you acquire with increased combat skills might not be the best way. Geneforge lacks bows and pole arms, so the skill point system might be too hard to balance properly.

And it's just not the Geneforge way, to have special abilities come by natural training, when they could come by mutant magic instead. So an Adrenaline Pod or Fury Pod, that could not be used too often, would make more sense than the disciplines. But the disciplines that weaken or stun opponents, these might work nicely as specially shaped thorns or grenades.

Quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:
But the disciplines that weaken or stun opponents, these might work nicely as specially shaped thorns or grenades.
We already have submission thorns for stunning. And wands of stunning. And stun crystals. And weapon enhancements that inflict wrack or slow on a hit (although the runed onyx just stops having an effect on late-game monsters).

The difference with the stunning battle discipline is that it actually works. The wands and batons and crystals just add a couple of points of 'stun', which all the respectable enemies shrug off easily; but a successful hit with a Stunning Blow takes away the target's next turn completely.

I agree that stunning is quite useful, but I believe tat it is so low in G4 is that otherwise, glaaks, some vlish, and most battle creations would just stun you into oblivion.

I have not taken the time to try out A5 and therefore do not know much about the battle disiplines (see I can't even spell it right), but adding them to battle creations sounds like good compensation for the cost of essence; though it could cause balance problems if all battle creations get them, and some people may be confused on how to use them or the likes.

Quote:
B A G G A G E O R N K S !
Maybe before G4, but now that there's such a convenient weight system, there is absolutely no need. Anything more right now would defeat the purpose of a limited inventory entirely.

By the way, that animation was actually pretty annoying.

Quote:
B A G G A G E O R N K S !
I H A V E A H A R D T I M E R E A D I N G S T U F F L I K E T H I S S O P L E A S E D O N ' T D O I T A N Y M O R E ! ! ! !

For those that have a hard time reading that: I have a hard time reading stuff like this so please don't do it anymore!!!!

Capitals and exclaimations generally work fine. And past G4 the only reason baggage ornks would be useful is so you can carry more items, which, though useful, is quite unrealistic.

"Oh no, a wingbolt! I think I have some icy crystals from two chapters ago that are good against these, let me just rummage through the three packs of random items on my ornk."

Also what happens if the ornk gets killed?

Yes -- there's really no need for the extra inventory space anymore, but now I just want to run with the idea.

Implementation rules seem obvious to me. If the Ornk is killed, the items it's carrying hit the ground and stay there (like when the player dies). You can gather them up once it's safe. Of course you presumably can't carry them yourself; since you had an Ornk in the first place, your hands are probably already full. So you're forced to leave stuff behind, unless you have the essence to make another Ornk.

And you suggest that rummaging through the Ornk's pack during battle would be unrealistic. Who said you could? It's an easy limitation to lay down as well.

It'd be fun to implement your pack Ornk in a quest, say to smuggle something. Perhaps you could fill its pack with gunpowder and send it at the enemy (a Trojan horse).

you can shape exploding roamers if you have 3 levels in roamer creation.

The only thing i would like in the new geneforge is more interaction with non playing characters as well as a base of operation for the player himself in which he could use shaping vats and some sort of creature anvil(make the drayk's breath damage two or more creatures, give mental attacks to vlish, etc).

Quote:
Creature anvil. Heh, heh. I imagine there'd be some preliminary design flaw, such as the creature getting pissed off when you hit it with a hammer.

It'd totally be worth welding a pair of reaper batons to your Roamer's back, or giving a Fyora night-vision goggles.

anvilcu0.png
LOL!

One thing that has always bugged me about spiderweb's games is the total lack of in-game music. So far all they've got is creepy background/eviromental noise. it would be really nice if there was actually a musical accompaniment to the game, not something major, just some background music for most of the game and some more epic stuff for the major parts. you don't even have to get rid of the old sound effects, you can just add music over them.

Quote:
Originally written by Safey:
Quote:
Originally written by Xel'Raga:
With geneforge texts, you don't want to hear Norse-Heavy metal while you read how you will attack a shaper, and on a second point, it just doesn't seem his style.
Could it fade out of turn off when text comes up?
Not easily. And besides, where'd he get the music? If it's good enough to merit including, it would cost money. How 'bout you just listen to your own music while playing, okay lad?

Quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:
Jeff has two things against including music, the first is cost for decent music and the second is increasing the file size since most users are dial up.
Also, on a personal level he doesn't like background music in games.

(Can it really still be true that most of his users are on dialup? I know he has a lot of customers in Poland and Bolivia, but even so...)

@Moar muziczz in Jeff's g4m3s..

As I said in some other thread..you don't exactly

hear some heavy metal when entering a penultimate zone..

I like the current state of "music" in Jeff's games..gives ambiance..I mean..do you hear some angelic choir while traversing through a forest? No..you hear wind blowing..leaves rustling..and and and..blood spilling..@_@

I wasn't asking for major musical involvement, just some background music along with the normal ambience. when I said music I didn't by any means mean death metal, just some more melodic ambience along with the churny vat noises. beside it was just a suggestion, as for some people not wanting music and/or finding it distracting, there is the rather simple solution of simply putting a music on/of function on the menu. the cost issue is understandable, but not all good music is expensive; I'm sure there are some perfectly good (even if they aren't exactly John Williams) composers who would be happy simply to have their music used in a video game.

Only read the first 4 pages, then my eyes started to bleed from all the nothingness, but I figured I'd put my two cents in anyway. So if I repeat something you've seen here 10 times, I soz.

1. For the love of all that is holy drop the Fyora.

I recently went through 1-4 in sucession and it's sort of a bummer to have NOTHING new in any of the games until the last couple of hours or so (which usually is two dungeons and a lot of talking), which then get ripped from you and stuck 30 hours away in the next game in the last ten minutes of it, not that there was much of anything new in any of the games. >.> (both spells and creations)

But really, I love my long range combat. I can't stand the way the worms look, and it takes SO long to get a Drayk. So I normally have a Fyora for 35% of the game(followed by their icy upgrade). It'd be awfully nice if they made something snazzy and low level that was ranged.

2. Upgradable creations.

When I was playing through G3, I didn't get any new creations for QUITE some time, as I wasn't using canisters and was too broke for proper training. But I kept gaining levels, as did my trusty Fyora...

But it hit it's cap and became worthless 45% of the way into it's life. It'd be nice if at a certian level, or Int/Dex level, that a ranged creation's spells became multi-target. (along with that maybe a melee creation's attacks became double attacks or infused with an element at a certian Int/Str level) I say Int because I've honestly never found a use for Int (on a creation), and it'd be nice to give it some reason to be used other than the two initial points. Oh, and maybe the worms can get a small range AoE acid as an upgrade...that'd be nice, might make 'em worth it.

Greta got the multi-shot in G3, but she got it quite late, and hers was very picky... The monsters had to be REALLY close together and she had to be a good bit away for it to split, while the Ur-Drakon could hit 5 monsters 4 spaces apart from each other two spaces from them. (he even shot it backwards once. o.O)

3. Larger inventory, a pack mule, and/or a much lower weight for all items. 1 iron bar will push me over the encumberance limit until like 15 Str.

4. A better UI/character graphics.

(G3ex) I really don't like that in such a (seemingly) low-budget (graphic wise) game that my green Agent doesn't have a green inventory avatar. To the point that I went and recolored it in Windows Paint. lol

(G4ex) But, really. Do the character slots REALLY have to be that huge? A small bag icon and small ? next to the sprite, three stat bars UNDER the sprite, and the tiny sprite in the center should be enough. I don't think it needs 1/4 of an inch between the bag/?, sprite, and over sized stat bars.

And then enlarging the map to a crude size to fit into that bulky set-up threw off the entire new sleek look of the nice text and new outer UI.

The enviroment screen just feels like it should be bigger, or slightly more zoomed out. It feels cramped, or like I'm not seeing enough of the screen, just an annoyance, really.

Speaking of that...

5. At LEAST one more quick spell/item slot.

In the G4 UI there looks like there's room for 6, even 7 each (if you really wanted that many) if you make use of the side bar for things like the 'get' button and the quest log.

I often toss out useful gems and extra pods because I know they'll just take up inventory space doing nothing because I forget about them in battles because they're in my pack. Same with a lot of spells.

I only recently found the awesomeness of Haste because I had never hotkey'd it, and assumes it was worthless. But two attacks and a gem worth of points? Heck yes. Totally changed my game. I think Torment was only tormenting because I didn't have Haste.

Well, I think that's it...

BIG emphasis on the weight reduction and such... My Shapers always feel utterly useless because I can NEVER attack anything with them, they're always overencumbered. I don't really like having Str as my first max stat on a Shaper, tbh.

So yeah, that's it.

Edited for creation name retardation.

And, some more BG sounds would be nice... I never hear them anymore. In G1 I heard the birds and some light wind, but I never noticed any BG sounds after that. I'll admit, the 'HAIYAYAYAYAI in the Servile towns was annoying, but more BG sounds, or light soft town music would be goodness.

Quote:
3. Larger inventory, a pack mule, and/or a much lower weight for all items. 1 iron bar will push me over the encumberance limit until like 15 Str.
Problem already solved in Geneforge 4.

But otherwise. Why do you play this game when you complain about so many things?
I have never had a problems with any of those of things. Those changes would either be a waste of time to put in or they are..... useless? Bad?

Originally by Knirps:

Quote:
1. For the love of all that is holy drop the Fyora.
Blasphemy! :p

Seriously, roamers do spit acid, which makes them an okay artila substitute. They do tend to run low on energy in longer battles, though. They are second-tier, so it does take some time to get them, but in G4 there was a canister at the end of the first chapter and training at the beginning of the second.

Dikiyoba.

i just wish for once i was recognized in the game...

i singlehandedly destroy monarch, which neither the shapers, nor the rebels could do, even combined...yet i am still insignificant, still worthless, while greta is now a general just because someone above her died >_>

i also hate that i couldn't have any say in how the drakon rule is just another shaper rule... i mean, they even treat their former form like crap...

so yeah, i hope in G5 we are able to actually become something (and tell the drakons off) before the end credit pre-made mombojumbo

This has been my complaint for a long time, too. G4 does better than some previous games, but it's still weird that nobody bats an eye when this noob nobody kills Monarch single-handed. Sure, they reward you. But they ought to be totally freaking out, and speaking carefully around you ever after.