G5 wishlist.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very easy to have your own fortress/house/domain in any geneforge. I have done it ever since geneforge 1, and here's how you do it:

- explore the map, and find a nice place you like, preferably a small town

- if you just want a house, choose one in that town and claim it for yourself (hopefully no one inside that house will mind to be thrown out)

-if you want an entire town, go into battle mode and strip it clean of all life

if this has been made correctly, you now have a functional house/shelter/town/city/fortress to call your own smile

PS: Killing everything in some cities, especially in G1 and G2 will make you an enemy of that city's faction forever so make sure you hate that faction enough before proceeding with the slaughter :p

I always liked using the entry to the lair of the Bound One in G2 as my cache and trophy room.

One problem is that you can only rest in a friendly town. So a town whose inhabitants you have massacred, or a lair you have cleared of monsters, won't work to restore you. That means that however homey you may make it, to pump yourself up after a tough fight you still have to visit some darn town full of annoying strangers. Grrr.

Oh hell, it's Colicedus. Just don't suggest that he add chainsaws.

Now then, I'd like to see more change in towns. If a Shaper camp occupies a town, they'd logically add fortifications, defense it up. If a berserk rogue is trampling through an area, it seems to follow that things would get broken. We already know areas can change, we just need more of it.

You should know I have hung up my chainsaw for now...

I think that there should be a world clock system, hunger, and sleep, and other day to day things in life as a non shaper in GF5, then towards the middle of the beginning after doing something like using a Geneforge, you become a hero and don't require sleep and other crap.

I also think, that here should be destructible buildings.

(Who had fun in Avernum with the Move mountains spell?)

For instance you could blow apart doors rather than pick the lock!

Or you just blow a hole in the side of that bastards house who just ripped you off!

I also think there should be a special opportunity fire attack. for those of you who have not played Horror squadron, opportunity fire is done if you have X amount of Action points at the end of your turn to allow yourself to fire at some one as they enter your line of sight in combat, letting you use range weaponry/spells to attack him on his turn.

I also think, there should be... no, no thats enough...

Wanton destruction is appropriate only in moderation. Move Mountains and Shatter took advantage of pre-existing damage and amplified it. There's more than enough of that in the Geneforge world, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem to apply tactically. Or better yet, a disaster unique to this world: the genemodded plants, all to willing to usurp any building or clearing left alone for long enough. How about a new spell, Overgrow? Used on a section of forest, it would perhaps cause (young, breakable) trees to sprout up, barring your enemies path or even trapping them where they stand.

Quote:
Originally written by Paladin95:
I'm no computer programmer, so, please, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like a fairly easy idea to program if you keep the functions simple. All you would really need is the ability to generate NPC Serviles that will roam a specified area, similar to the NPC's that already exist. You can talk to them, and when you tell them to complete x task it will take z time to complete based on the number y of Serviles that are working on it. After that time is up, the item shows up on the map in the place you designated. It's not a whole lot different than how the school in G3 gets cleaned up as you progress through the game, except the prompts for the change to occur are caused by a talk node with a Servile instead of a plot element.
This is a good idea and is also rather unlikely to happen. I do see that you might be able to do it within the scripting system though - the only thing required on the engine's part is to remember the addition of NPCs and the change of terrains.
Quote:
Originally written by Ijuuin Enzan:
Or better yet, a disaster unique to this world: the genemodded plants, all to willing to usurp any building or clearing left alone for long enough. How about a new spell, Overgrow? Used on a section of forest, it would perhaps cause (young, breakable) trees to sprout up, barring your enemies path or even trapping them where they stand.
But this would also block your way which could cause problems of not being able to get somewhere you need to get to.

Quote:
Originally written by Taliesin:
Quote:
But this would also block your way which could cause problems of not being able to get somewhere you need to get to.
They did specify "breakable" trees. So you could just burn them up or hack them down when they had served your purpose.
... Since when can you burn / hack down trees in Geneforge?

What if in G5 you would be able to use geneforge two or more times?

I mean when you do quests for rebells they decide to give you more power and not just a little(like using another canister)more like using geneforge again which bosts many of your stats and abilitis by more than one point.

But not to use it to often only 2-3 times othervise you would become to powerfull to trully enjoy the game.

One thing that Nalyd wants is the uncontrolled Shaping waves that were used on the natives of Sucia in pre-G1 times.

By the way, it is Nalyd's impression that Shapers Shape by creating the zygote of a base creature, bombarding it with different types of radiation, and accelerating the growth process.

I had a thought... Shaper Surgery?

If you take one lead of the story or do something wrong (or right depending on how you look at it) at a particular part your body gets really badly damaged, your legs even get ripped off and eaten!

But thanks to Illegal shaping, your able to get new limbs attached to you, and you gain some new powers!

Your armor also increases, and... maybe you get a chainsaw?

What about playing as Multiple shapers at one time, each with there owen inventories, some what similar to Avernum?

Particularly in G3 i think Al and Greta should have had some sort of inventory system.

Quote:

By the way, it is Nalyd's impression that Shapers Shape by creating the zygote of a base creature, bombarding it with different types of radiation, and accelerating the growth process.[/QB]
The second part of that theory makes sense to me, but how do they create the zygote? Where do they get the Gametes from? From their own reproductive organs?

Originally by Nalyd:

Quote:
By the way, it is Nalyd's impression that Shapers Shape by creating the zygote of a base creature, bombarding it with different types of radiation, and accelerating the growth process.
Judging by the PC's reaction to those magical microscopes in every game and a book in G2 (the one in Drypeak), Shapers don't know about the existence of DNA or even cells. (I have no idea how much they understand of heredity--probably not a whole lot.) I don't think they'd know what a zygote is. They'd need a more-developed creation to experiment with.

Dikiyoba.

Thanks Celtic, that is informative. Where do they take their stem cells from? Or do they just manufacture the cells themselves as well?

Dikiyoba: I don't think anyone can disagree that shapers did not know anything about DNA and stuff, but I believe they could manipulate Genes without understanding the mechanisms behind it. Similar to how early humans unconsciously selected aurocs into cows without realizing what they were doing.

Originally by the Ripper:

Quote:
...but I believe they could manipulate Genes without understanding the mechanisms behind it. Similar to how early humans unconsciously selected aurocs into cows without realizing what they were doing.
I definitely agree that Shapers are engaging in genetic engineering. I guess my point is that they go about it very differently than we do. Shapers live in a world of essence and magic, not DNA, cells, and radiation. Our way of thinking about how shaping could work is probably radically different than a Shaper would see it.

Dikiyoba.

Quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:
Shapers live in a world of essence and magic, not DNA, cells, and radiation. Our way of thinking about how shaping could work is probably radically different than a Shaper would see it.

Dikiyoba.[/QB]
Good point. I guess I think of it more like science fiction now, what with all the amazing advances in biotech, its not hard to imagine the near-future containing some very relevant analogies to GF.

Or maybe I've been listening to too much Kurzweil.

I think it's interesting how the Shapers seem to have almost Trakovite ideas about having too much power. Whenever a group of researchers (Sucia Island group, Gull Island shapers, etc) have too many discoveries, like about Shaping each other or the Geneforge, they do everything possible to destroy that knowledge. This is why the drakons know all this stuff about cells and DNA, and most Shapers don't.

So why can't the Shapers and Trakovites get along? Both seem to have similar ideals to some extent. But I guess the only Geneforge character who agrees with me there is Khyryk.

In real life, that would be called radiation.

Yes, the core difference between the Shapers and the drakons (or Sucia Island researchers) is that the mainstream Shapers used a trial and error system based on tradition, and the drakons/other Shapers studied the genetic code itself and then modified it. The latter, of course, is a main goal of modern genetic research.