Good news!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It mentions A4, which reminds me of something. I'm surprised that Jeff has never attributed the commercial success of A4 to the most obvious thing: the popularity of the previous Exile/Avernum games. It was the first all-new game in a very popular series in several years. Simply making an "Avernum 4" guaranteed that it would sell well, and it still would have even if it were just a port of Kill Ogre, Win Prize to the Geneforge engine.

Still, on a more relevant topic, I'm definitely going to play GF4's demo, and there's a good chance that I'll actually get the full version and finish the game, which I didn't do with GF3. I like all of the things that he's saying about GF4.

New AP system?

-X- will hazard a guess on the new Action Point system. -X- thinks that it either has a "Confirm" option at the end of each turn, or an "Undo Last Move" option. -X- is probably wrong, but if he is right, he hopes that it is the first option.

-X- also suspects that, unlike it's predecessors, your turn will not be ended if you don't have enough Action Points to attack. -X- prays to Urrrachti that he is right here.

I can confirm that the change is not a confirm or undo command. While it gets rid of a common error that players make it can be a pain when you see what the monsters can now do with the change. It only takes a little while to figure out how to adapt and it does make playing much easier.

Still the new AP combat system works better than in the previous games. Also some spells and creations have been changed from the previous games, but that always happens in Spiderweb games.

-X- will hazard another guess, since his previous one was brutally cut down in it's prime.

-X-'s Plan B is that there is something resembling the "target and space bar" system of Avernums 1-3. -X- is probably wrong, Again, but he has a Plan C, too.

-X-'s Plan C is that there is a "probe" spell or skill. For example, you find a new creation. You do not know what this creation is. You cast a spell, "Essence Sight" or something that tells you the creations abilities, resistances, method of attack, etc. This is also implementable in skill form, i.e. a "Shaper Knowledge" skill. If you have "X" amount of this skill, more creation descriptions become available, and new abilities for your own creations are discovered. nothing big, like at level 10 Shaper Knowledge you discover that your fyora can take down a Battle Gamma, but tiny stuff, like a vlish can weaken an opponents mental resistance, making more vulnerable to Daze(By about 10%).

-X- also suspects that enemy creations will have the spell/skill as well. They will be able to see that your magic and acid resistances are 127%, and will stop using Searer, and bite you.

-X- hopes that he is at least partially right on at least one of these counts, and if not they will at least be vaguely wanted but not added due to the fact that the coding required for reducing and increasing resistances has not been seen in this world. -X- thinks that they are good ideas, even if they will ineveitably wither, die, and be forgotten.

Quote:
Originally written by *i:
I can neither confirm nor deny said confirm feature, giving such confirmation would result in confirming such a confirm option which is not to be confirmed nor denied, especially when confirmation is done about confirming. :p
Can I quote you on that? Stareye confirms that confirmation of confirm cannot be confirmed. News at 10.

There have been a fair number of creation changes and some of the combat changes make the more abusive and abusable tricks no longer so tricky. The problem all of you seem to have with range hasn't been entirely fixed, but it's no longer a problem as far as I'm concerned.

—Alorael, who considered that one of the better changes after he got past the initial shock of change. Geneforge 4 delivers in the little things as well as the plot.

Quote:
Originally written by Transportion:
There have been a fair number of creation changes and some of the combat changes make the more abusive and abusable tricks no longer so tricky.
Abusive tricks are all the fun, though. But I suppose the better ones are still there?

Acid Rain, run behind a corner. "Really Annoying Bug takes 23 damage" over and over. Oooh, 18 damage *eats popcorn* ooh, 15 damage.

And the Glaahk trick? The simplest are the best.
Stun. Stun. Haha, stun. Stun again. Guess what? stun.

And of course there's this really abusive one where you play as an agent. :p

I'm in the league of people who can't wait one month.

No, but it equals one half an AP, so you can plan if you know what you're doing. For instance if you're hasted from 9 AP you often have 13.5, and you can use that .5.

And, uh, the abusive tricks. Not all are gone, but a good many of the most egregious ones are history, and my initial chagrin was quickly replaced with appreciation. The turn-based combat system is still stylized in nature, of course, with a fair amount of vital tactics revolving around artificial engine features. But overall the new system is a more reasonable stylization of fantasy combat.

Of course you can't actually play an Agent since you are a rebel, but there is a comparable class. I'm not sure how to play it now, since I used to rely on a lot of tricks that don't work any more.

Quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:
No, but it equals one half an AP, so you can plan if you know what you're doing. For instance if you're hasted from 9 AP you often have 13.5, and you can use that .5.

And, uh, the abusive tricks. Not all are gone, but a good many of the most egregious ones are history, and my initial chagrin was quickly replaced with appreciation. The turn-based combat system is still stylized in nature, of course, with a fair amount of vital tactics revolving around artificial engine features. But overall the new system is a more reasonable stylization of fantasy combat.

Of course you can't actually play an Agent since you are a rebel, but there is a comparable class. I'm not sure how to play it now, since I used to rely on a lot of tricks that don't work any more.
Yeah. The unkindest cut of all.

Characters are just on grid spaces. It's just that one grid space is only 1/2 AP. The system really works fine now.

—Alorael, who assures you that you can play an agent in everything but name. It's just that you'll have to do it with less engine abuse, or at least with novel and exciting engine abuse.

No tricks with Guardian! laugh

About that... I think that in the benginning there will be an advantage for who combat in meele. It just me, but I think magic will be in a more advanced place in the game. At least, advanced magery: Firebolt and Small Heal are essential.

And some other questions about the Shaping Skills... Will they be more relevant on the creature? Or they still just need when you shape something? And the Shaping is still "Click-And-Shape" method?

Shaping hasn't really changed mechanically, just a few of the creations. Jeff's been working on making it more useful and relevant, though, with good results.

—Alorael, who must reiterate that the missing sixth class is the one he thinks he'd actually like the most and quite possibly find the most abusable. Jeff thinks it would be too weak. Now stew in your lack of information!

Quote:
Originally written by YATT:
—Alorael, who must reiterate that the missing sixth class is the one he thinks he'd actually like the most and quite possibly find the most abusable. Jeff thinks it would be too weak. Now stew in your lack of information!
That's interesting. Hmm. Magic with Shaping, or Combat with Magic? Must be one of those -- though perhaps I'm still stuck in the old Geneforge paradigm.

The GF4 version of agent is still overpowered, but some of the tricks need to be revised. You'll see when it comes out. I tested a variation of Delicious Vlsih's tactics with great success.

Figuring out movement and targeting in advanced still hasn't been fixed, but if Jeff starts now then the game will be delayed even more. The game is a little more forgiving of errors than it used to be. Still I lost a few turns with accidental clicks on my character or next to the monster instead of on the monster.

The creations have actually become more differentiated in each game. In G1, with high enough shaping skill, an Artila would not be easily distinguished from any other creature.

The biggest jump was between G1 and G2. Since we have new creations again, it's probably a safe bet the old ones were tweaked as well. Yay!

The main action point change is that you can now attack when you have any action points left. This makes combat far more different that you might think at first. Pods, spores and crystals are now much more useful. However, the enemy much more frequently gets a shot at you.

It's taken a bit of rebalancing, but I'm really happy with the change.

The character type I left out was strong shaping, medium magic, weak combat. I liked it least of the six possibilities. I thought it was overpowered, too one-dimensional (a wispy little thing who puts tons of skill points into intelligence, and then you die if something looks at you) and least adaptable to different styles of play.

At any rate, it's too late to debate it. Even if I'd ever had time to get the graphics for a sixth character type (I didn't).

- Jeff Vogel

Quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:
The character type I left out was strong shaping, medium magic, weak combat.
Huh. So... you left out the Shaper proper. O_o

Surprising. But fitting, I suppose, given that the PC is, after all, not a Shaper (either sensu stricto or sensu lato).