Very quick Geneforge 4: Rebellion Update.

Spidweb

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally written by Micawber.:
And this year's prize for under-statement of the year goes to...

<Fanfare>

MagmaDragoon, for this gem:

Quote:
It's a bit hipnotic.
<Wild, rapturous applause>

:p

Seriously, after looking at that image, I need my eyes transplanted. Never mind what it did to my sanity.
*hides in the corner*

"The horrificly garish concentric rings are not moving, the horrificly garish concentric rings are not moving, they are not moving ...."

Quote:
Originally written by Micawber.:
And this year's prize for under-statement of the year goes to...

<Fanfare>

MagmaDragoon, for this gem:

Quote:
It's a bit hipnotic.
<Wild, rapturous applause>

Seriously, after looking at that image, I need my eyes transplanted. Never mind what it did to my sanity.
Thanks; I know, I'm a living legend. :p

You are not wrong and the new things are kyshakks. I was running that party during the last chapter. It helped to compare the relative damages of each creation versus the same opponent. The game does favor replacing older creations more than the older games, but you still need to see if the improvement is worth it for you.

I look forward to comparing notes on things like this after release. I have a guy who skipped the third tier, and never made anything from the fifth tier. He did quite well, though of course I have no idea how well he would do in the released version of the game, trying the tactics that worked well in various beta waves.

I'm playing a melee fighting servile right now. It seems to be fun, but I keep having to remember that I don't have half a dozen creations to swarm over the opposition.

I tried a fire shaping shaper type for the last chapter with nothing higher than tier 4 creations and it worked well. It should be possible to use only tier 3 creations if you have enough shaping skill and have 4 or 5 of them. The main advantage to the tier 4 and 5 creations is the obscenely high health even with minimum shaping skill and creation skill.

Well, a servile is definetly a very nice addition. I figure it'd be a warior/mage type?

I gathered, there is no mage/shaper class, right?

Too, bad, I was hoping for it. But I guess it'd be too powerful.

Maybe in the 5th game you could pick a, for example drakon or an eyebeast class, which'd be like that.

Anyway - is there a list of all the creations anywhere yet?

I'm not sure if item costs changed, although I think Jeff said somewhere that he reduced them slightly. There are plenty of expensive non-item things to buy, though. Buying spells and shaping is expensive, and buying other nice additions is even more so. Money is never in short supply, but the turnover is very quick.

—Alorael, who thinks cash flow may also be strongly influenced by the faction you join. It makes sense, actually, but he can't (yet) comment further on it.

Type of shaper you decide to go with will greatly affect how well you afford things and i believe faction choice makes some difference too. Magic is overall the most expensive craft to keep up with considering there are four categories of spells including Healing. With shaping, you tend to focus on one or two of three possible sequnces of five creation choices. You don't have to buy much in the way of skills for primarily bludgeoning blokes like Serviles.

As a shock trooper who was good at melee and some shaping, I wound up with more than $18K coins at the end of my last run through. Other games I wasn't quite able to afford every spell available at the end, though through very thorough exploitation of all resources and bonus areas, I nearly pulled it off. I was so insanely powerful anyway, it wasn't like I really was missing anything.

Jeff did lower some costs and added more money to be gained about halfway through the beta versions. The game feels pretty generous to me at this point...IF you undertake all available tasks and aren't afraid to sell off unessentials.

-S-

The costs vary a lot as you do quests for spell sellers and depending upon your current reputation with each faction, Shapers charge more if you are heavily biased towards the rebel cause when you want to buy something. I've seen prices drop from exorbitant to pretty average and back up as I did quests for each side. Also some people won't sell to you at any price until you do enough for their side.

Selling prices weren't affected by faction, but actually being able to sell can be.

Yes, prices are visible.

I'm not sure how you stole items in GF3, but you probably still can.

No, creations don't have inventories. Where are they going to hold stuff anyway?

—Alorael, who doesn't think he is really disclosing much here. If he never posts again, you know why. Mourn him, please.

Technically, the man said "close to" the 20th, which could be close on the far side of the date...

Besides, I'm sure that he has slightly better things to do than wait up until midnight just to launch a new game, like.. um.. sleep. Although, in this crowd, that might be declared an overrated commodity. laugh